Texas Fishing Forum

Where to find walleye?

Posted By: Froghunter

Where to find walleye? - 12/22/16 02:40 AM

Research showes broken bow oklahoma to hold good odds of catching a walleye. Do any texas lakes have a solid population? They are next on the hit list.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Where to find walleye? - 12/22/16 02:49 AM

http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/wheeler_branch/

Re: Where to find walleye? - 12/22/16 03:00 AM

Very interesting 44 diesel and MUCH closer to home.

Google isn't showing guides, anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Where to find walleye? - 12/22/16 03:31 AM

I can't even find a fishing report newer than 2013!
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Where to find walleye? - 12/22/16 04:23 AM

Interesting. I may take the kayak down there and give walleye a try. Have never caught one, so any catch would be worthwhile.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Where to find walleye? - 12/22/16 02:02 PM

Walleye are tough to catch on Wheeler Branch but I have seen several of the toothy critters taken. My suggestion would be to take a set up for LMB, too, so you don't come home empty handed. There are also SMBs in WB but I have only caught one near the dam in the rip rap.

It is, without question, the best kayaking body of water in the area with water on some days so clear, one can see down 12' or more. No motor boats also makes it a dream. And, as small lakes go, this one is 80 feet deep out near the dam and spillway.

One of my favorite places to fish is on the dam side off the little island dead straight ahead from the boat launch. There is a sudden fall off out 100 feet or so from the island and most of us have great luck along there.

Oh! Since water is pumped in to WB, it doesn't come in from a river or tributary source as its main feed (hence, the clear water), if by chance they are pumping in water over by the swimming platform, fish of all species in the lake will stack up there looking for a meal to float by.

Brad
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Where to find walleye? - 12/22/16 02:14 PM

White River Lake, 60 miles east of Lubbock, used to have walleyes.
Posted By: ebl

Re: Where to find walleye? - 12/22/16 04:57 PM

Go North young man
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Where to find walleye? - 12/22/16 10:08 PM

Waurika in Oklahoma.
Posted By: D-lee

Re: Where to find walleye? - 12/23/16 12:38 AM

Wheeler Branch Glenrose .but I think theyve stopped letting boats on it. unmotorized only
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Where to find walleye? - 12/23/16 03:26 AM

Lake Meredith, above Amarillo

Re: Where to find walleye? - 12/23/16 03:28 AM

http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/species/walleye/

Re: Where to find walleye? - 12/23/16 03:38 PM

I have researched Meredith. It was really good then almost dried up and the fishery crashed. Now it's on the rebound but I can make broken bow in 5 hours and Meredith in 8.
Posted By: lite-liner

Re: Where to find walleye? - 12/28/16 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Im RICK JAMES
Waurika in Oklahoma.

those are saugeye......but they're big. caught them while fishing the hybrids.
wierd lake.......
Posted By: johnnlucky

Re: Where to find walleye? - 01/02/17 04:00 AM

My home state of North Dakota. Walleye is all we fished for growing up. They taste great. Beautiful white filet. I think the heat in Texas is very hard on Walleye. Most stockings from what i have read have failed. Mededith Lake has been down. It is currently down 65 feet. http://www.lakelevels.info/?StateID=TX
I think Oklahoma may be closer and have a better chance. Wheeler Lake sounds fun. The Walleye spawn around 45 degrees. Today when i was out on Lewisville lake the temp was 50 degrees. So i think the Walleye have a hard time in Texas. Best tasting fresh water fish.
Posted By: Naggler

Re: Where to find walleye? - 01/02/17 06:49 AM

Believe it or not, Canyon Lake has a breeding population and has for some time. If you look back in the stocking history, you will see when they stocked them. I know a couple fellas that showed me proof last year that they still catch them here and there in the coves around where the Guadalupe comes in. They catch them deep off of rocks on plastic worms, nightcrawlers etc. That lake runs very cold which is why the trout do so well below it. Good luck!
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Where to find walleye? - 01/04/17 05:27 PM

I guide on Broken Bow for mainly bass and crappie. I can do some walleye starting in March.BB has a lot of walleye, also has a lot of water for them to get in. Easiest to catch in March, April & May.
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Where to find walleye? - 01/05/17 03:38 PM

I have seen big strings of walleye averaging more than 5 pounds per fish taken below the Long Lake dam west of Spokane, Washington.
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Where to find walleye? - 01/06/17 02:19 AM

Hands down lake sharpe in South Dakota! I know you said Texas but don't waste your time!? Take a trip to sd fish and sight see=priceless.. I'll be there fishing below big bend dam on lake Francis case
Posted By: fray

Re: Where to find walleye? - 01/06/17 01:46 PM

Conchas Dam and Ute Lake just west of Amarillo in N Mex have walleye

Re: Where to find walleye? - 01/06/17 02:56 PM

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/fishing/game-fish/warm-water/

Several lakes in New Mexico sport good numbers.

I read where Texas stocked millions of Walleye in the Highland Lakes. I bet a lot of folks don't fish for them. Might be some hanging on somewhere. Canyon Lake, as mentioned, never gets warm down deep and I don't believe its ever gotten close to drying up.
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Where to find walleye? - 01/06/17 05:10 PM

Lake ouachita in Arkansas has a good population
Posted By: RonH

Re: Where to find walleye? - 01/07/17 02:46 PM

There has been some 12" caught at Meredith so it's on it's way back just hope it keeps going
Posted By: NekidTackle

Re: Where to find walleye? - 01/08/17 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: RonH
There has been some 12" caught at Meredith so it's on it's way back just hope it keeps going

I can remember back in the day when Meredith was one of the Premiere Walleye lakes in the south, I hope now that the level is up, they come back in full force!!

This is a picture a customer sent from Up North...Kabetogama Lake in Northern Minnesota, long way from Texas!
Jared used a 1/4 oz UV Blast coated Sky Blue jig, #1 hook. Now that it is colder, he is using 5/16 & 3/8 ounce jigs on the #1 hook, as they are now deeper.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Where to find walleye? - 01/10/17 11:51 PM

Broken bow lake is loaded with them. Big ones too, personally landed fish in the 20" class, friends have pulled out 5-7lb fish. Everything I've read says you have to fish for them feb-may.
Posted By: SALLYSUE

Re: Where to find walleye? - 01/11/17 06:23 PM

They are sure good eating
Posted By: Texdan

Re: Where to find walleye? - 01/24/17 12:47 PM

If anyone is interested in Broken Bow walleye Carey Thorn is a guide out of Plano that fishes them (along with trout). He is a great guide.

http://TexasOklahomaFishingGuide.com/

469-528-0210
Posted By: Beltonbanger�

Re: Where to find walleye? - 01/24/17 03:59 PM

Who said there aren't walleye in Texas??? At least until this girl makes it back home in Illinois!!!! roflmao

Over 30" from Lake Shelbyville.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum