Texas Fishing Forum

keeping others off your anchor line while fishing

Posted By: Dusty Rivers

keeping others off your anchor line while fishing - 08/01/16 08:55 PM

so you see some fish on your electronics, go up wind , drop anchor and let out some rope/chain. Now you start reeling in a few. Next thing you know boats are moving in and crossing the bow where your anchor line is. How do you keep people from running over your anchor line and/or cutting it with their prop? That is without getting into a shouting match.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: keeping others off your anchor line while fishing - 08/01/16 08:58 PM

drop a 'decoy' marker about 50 yards away and they will surround it....
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: keeping others off your anchor line while fishing - 08/01/16 09:01 PM

Probably bass fishermen or guides.
Posted By: Santonio Banderas

Re: keeping others off your anchor line while fishing - 08/02/16 04:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Bob Landry
Probably bass fishermen or guides.

Genius answer
Posted By: dmunsie

Re: keeping others off your anchor line while fishing - 08/02/16 06:41 AM

Same situation for us bankies...we set up multiple lines, bait an area, only to have boats travel from very far away just to fish right at your spot 30-50ft from the bank. I always tell em... keep the boat at the parking lot, you're welcome to fish the bank with me.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: keeping others off your anchor line while fishing - 08/02/16 03:33 PM

I always love it when I pull back in to the courtesy dock and there are a dozen people there with 20 or so lines out. The part I don't like is getting all that mono off of my prop shaft. Of course if there is a nice rod and reel attached it's a bonus.
Posted By: Dusty Rivers

Re: keeping others off your anchor line while fishing - 08/02/16 06:49 PM

I just don't want to loose my expensive anchor. I'm worried about getting the anchor line cut by someone's prop. They can have the fish, that's not my issue.

But one thing really bugs me is someone trying to put their boat in next to me on a one boat ramp. When they can't get their truck door open because they are too close to my truck on the ramp. No I am not slow, and I load and unload equipment in the parking lot, not on the ramp.
Posted By: jbobo

Re: keeping others off your anchor line while fishing - 08/03/16 02:51 AM

Their prop more than likely, will not cut your anchor rope. But they will have to cut it to get it out of their prop. Be sure you go over close when this happens so they can give you both ends of the rope to tie back together. I usually yell at them that I have 200 ft. or more of anchor line out and it goes such and such direction. Be sure and hang your lure on it so I can add to my collection. That is the main reason I bought the I-Pilot.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: keeping others off your anchor line while fishing - 08/04/16 03:29 AM

Hang a buoy on your anchor line. Dont be shy about hollering to a boat that your anchor line is right under them.
Posted By: Streetwalker

Re: keeping others off your anchor line while fishing - 08/27/16 09:18 PM

Uncle Zeek has it right. Use a buoy. In fact with the right equipment you can use the buoy to pull your anchor.

Google Columbia River Anchor System to see what I mean.
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: keeping others off your anchor line while fishing - 08/29/16 04:16 PM

You just have to be vocal and let folks know....they'll appreciate it. Truth is, most folks on the water are not observant at all. They are focusing on their space. Raise your voice, let them know you have an anchor below and most likely they will give ya tha thumbs um.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: keeping others off your anchor line while fishing - 08/29/16 05:46 PM

I have never had them get close enough to actually cut it. That would be close enough that I could throw something and hit them. I usually run the rope through the bow eye. I have had someone snag the rope. I had to be careful when I retrieved it.
Posted By: jbobo

Re: keeping others off your anchor line while fishing - 08/29/16 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Stump jumper
I have never had them get close enough to actually cut it. That would be close enough that I could throw something and hit them. I usually run the rope through the bow eye. I have had someone snag the rope. I had to be careful when I retrieved it.

Replenishing your lure selection!
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: keeping others off your anchor line while fishing - 08/29/16 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Dusty Rivers
I just don't want to loose my expensive anchor. I'm worried about getting the anchor line cut by someone's prop. They can have the fish, that's not my issue.

But one thing really bugs me is someone trying to put their boat in next to me on a one boat ramp. When they can't get their truck door open because they are too close to my truck on the ramp. No I am not slow, and I load and unload equipment in the parking lot, not on the ramp.

You must be fishing at Ray Hubbard, I've seen a lot of weird stuff at Hubbard including trailers floating at ramps and also jack knifed trailers taking up the whole ramp. Getting an anchor rope run over wouldn't be all that unusual.

roflmao
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: keeping others off your anchor line while fishing - 09/02/16 03:54 PM

Use a buoy on the rope, attach it so it freely slides up and down the line so it floats where the rope enters the water. If that doesn't give someone enough of a clue to stay out of your anchor rope, then there wasn't much hope with that person to begin with.
Posted By: TxRanger1

Re: keeping others off your anchor line while fishing - 09/02/16 10:07 PM

Have you tried using lead?
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: keeping others off your anchor line while fishing - 09/02/16 11:47 PM

Displaying a Hillary Clinton poster works where I fish. However, some of the language directed my way has blistered the paint off the side of my boat.
Posted By: MathGeek

Re: keeping others off your anchor line while fishing - 09/16/16 03:42 AM

I fish off peak. Seldom a problem.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum