Texas Fishing Forum

Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ?

Posted By: DarrellSimpson

Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 05/31/16 12:36 PM

I am having troubles finding gas with the least amount of ethanol , I remember another member posted a list of gas stations a while back but I can not get the search engine to locate it without a staggering amount of hits to sift through , could someone please repost the link or list of the gas stations ? . Is there a technique to getting better search results ? I tried ( gas-station ) ( low ethanol ) with ( - , / ) between the words but just cant get it to work . Thanks in advance .
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 05/31/16 01:00 PM

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=TX

This list is most likely not up to date.
If you are close to Oklahoma border you will have a better chance of finding no ethanol gas at regular gas stations. Some marinas in Texas have no ethanol gas available. Best to call the marinas and ask. That is if anyone ever answers the phone. Most times I call a marina all I ever get is a recording.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 05/31/16 01:40 PM

Non-ethanol gas is also available all over Arkansas. Evidently there are some states that are more concerned with the damage this stuff does than making Iowa corn farmers rich.
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 05/31/16 01:59 PM

92 octane has substantially less ethanol than 87. Since learning this I only use 92 in my boats, ATVs, and small engines.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 05/31/16 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob Landry
Non-ethanol gas is also available all over Arkansas. Evidently there are some states that are more concerned with the damage this stuff does than making Iowa corn farmers rich.

Has nothing to do with the state of Arkansas being more concerned about damage. Areas where ethanol is required by the US EPA are called "non-attainment" areas (think big cities). These regions have not attained a low enough level of emissions to qualify for "attainment" status (emissions below EPA regs). Non-attainment areas are required to use emissions reducing blendstocks (ethanol) in their motor gasoline.

Arkansas is mostly rural. Even it's larger cities don't have enough vehicles to push it out of attainment status.

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 05/31/16 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Anchorman
92 octane has substantially less ethanol than 87. Since learning this I only use 92 in my boats, ATVs, and small engines.

No it doesn't. In fact, it may have more ethanol in it to boost the octane rating to 92. There are only two states in the US that have waivers to sell ethanol free premium unleaded. Those are Missouri and Montana. Other states may allow for the sale of non-ethanol and ethanol laden fuel side-by-side so the consumer gets to choose, but the areas where it is sold must have "attainment status". Oregon specifically prohibits this practice.
Posted By: wacopops

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 05/31/16 02:10 PM

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=TX
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 05/31/16 02:37 PM

This **** is why I installed a water seperating fuel filter on my boat and changed my old rubber fuel lines to the newer lines that are ethanol resistant.....
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 05/31/16 03:43 PM

We have a station in Graham that has non ethanol gas......
Posted By: siryaksalot

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 05/31/16 04:00 PM

i live in burleson and drive all the way to dublin to get 87 ethenol free.i have 20 5 gallon gas cans i fill up when i go.thats all i will ever use in my boat and lawn mower,weed eater ,chainsaw etc.i called mercury and they said 87 ethenol free was the best gas i could use.

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 05/31/16 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

No it doesn't. In fact, it may have more ethanol in it to boost the octane rating to 92. There are only two states in the US that have waivers to sell ethanol free premium unleaded. Those are Missouri and Montana. Other states may allow for the sale of non-ethanol and ethanol laden fuel side-by-side so the consumer gets to choose, but the areas where it is sold must have "attainment status". Oregon specifically prohibits this practice.

Right on. Ethanol can be added to fuel to raise the octane number.
Stoichiometric air-to-fuel ratios of gasoline vs ethanol
Fuel Ratio by mass Ratio by volume
Gasoline 14.7 : 1 —
Ethanol 9 : 1

ethanol or alcohol burns much cooler and is much more inefficient for making power.
In order to make the same power an engine has to burn 1.63 times more ethanol than pure gas and that's why our fuel mileage is so bad in older engines not designed and tuned for it. Put some pure gas in your old boat motor and see how much better she runs. My 5.3 v8 Chevy truck gets 3 to 6 mpg better mileage on pure gas than it does on E10 fuel. If I happen to get a tank of E15 the mileage drops another 2 mpg and the truck loses a lot of pulling power especially dragging my boat.

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 05/31/16 04:58 PM

There used to be a grocery store in Jacksboro that sold pure gas. Filled up my Harley up there one day and it sure did run good coming back home.
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 05/31/16 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Muzzlebrake

ethanol or alcohol burns much cooler and is much more inefficient for making power.
In order to make the same power an engine has to burn 1.63 times more ethanol than pure gas and that's why our fuel mileage is so bad in older engines not designed and tuned for it. Put some pure gas in your old boat motor and see how much better she runs. My 5.3 v8 Chevy truck gets 3 to 6 mpg better mileage on pure gas than it does on E10 fuel. If I happen to get a tank of E15 the mileage drops another 2 mpg and the truck loses a lot of pulling power especially dragging my boat.

I have been told by a small engine mechanic and a boat mechanic 92 octane had much less ethanol. Wonder where they got that info if what you guys say is true? I'll research this further

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 05/31/16 05:08 PM

I have been told by a small engine mechanic and a boat mechanic 92 octane had much less ethanol. Wonder where they got that info if what you say is true. I'll research this further

Please do. They're wrong.

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 05/31/16 05:09 PM

Maybe I am wrong , but the 2015-2016 Texas Parks and Wildlife Outdoor Annual Hunting and Fishing Regulations says its illegal to run fuel that has more than 10% ethanol , I read an article somewhere that the ethanol is hard on aquatic life , so this is the reason I am trying to get a lower ethanol percentage , and of course to avoid ethanol related headaches with the boat engine and related parts . With lawn mower , weed eater, chain saw , rototiller , and motorcycles I just make sure the carbs are empty when I store them , seems like the ethanol related problems are harder to manage that a dry carb related problem . Even with ethanol fuel stabilizers its hit and miss when problems will occur. The accelerator pump on my sons dirt bike actually disintegrated into small pieces ??

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 05/31/16 05:13 PM

Ethanol or not, if you're running 93 octane in a low compression engine, not only are you wasting money but you're going to have to de-carb often.
Posted By: Mark C

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 05/31/16 08:14 PM

My mechanic told me to just stick with 87 octane for my 200 EFI. He said 92 octane wouldn't help a thing and there was no benefit to running it. This was from Ben at Lake Park Marine in Lewisville.

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 05/31/16 10:18 PM

Ethanol is the biggest scam ever forced on us. It takes approx 3.5 gallons of water to produce 1 gallon of ethanol and that doesn't include the water that is used for the irrigation to grow the corn. Then there is the cleanup of the polluted water. They say ethanol is cheaper to produce than gas but without govt. subsidies it would be cost prohibitive. The corporate farmers and the ethanol producers are they only ones who benefit and they are the ones paying the lobbyists to help keep this scam alive. I don't even factor in the tree hugger crowd.
Fuel mileage for E85 vehicles is 25% less than for straight gas vehicles. Easy to see who loses especially with the maintenance of our vehicles which can sometimes cost an individual thousands to fix.

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 05/31/16 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark C
My mechanic told me to just stick with 87 octane for my 200 EFI. He said 92 octane wouldn't help a thing and there was no benefit to running it. This was from Ben at Lake Park Marine in Lewisville.

Ben definitely knows a thing or two about motors. Probably forgot more than most will ever know.
Posted By: HItec Redneck

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 06/01/16 01:47 AM

I have been told by a small engine mechanic and a boat mechanic 92 octane had much less ethanol. Wonder where they got that info if what you guys say is true? I'll research this further

Ethanol is added to fuel at the distribution terminal when the trucks arrive to fill up. Its precisely added and there is no guessing how much is added. It's added at the same rate for all fuel blends. This is how it's done at the oil company I work for. If you want gasoline with no ethanol you will have to find a place that sells it that way.

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 06/01/16 12:06 PM

Muzzlebrake . Thank you for the link .
Posted By: lunkermedia

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 06/01/16 03:21 PM

Winters Oil fairfield tx
Posted By: JRR

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 06/01/16 03:47 PM

Enderby's hwy 377 north of Whitesboro sells ethanol free gas
Posted By: texasflycaster

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 06/02/16 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: wacopops

Best site for finding what you want for sure. Accurate, and free information.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 06/02/16 03:09 PM

Ethanol is added to fuel at the distribution terminal when the trucks arrive to fill up. Its precisely added and there is no guessing how much is added. It's added at the same rate for all fuel blends. This is how it's done at the oil company I work for. If you want gasoline with no ethanol you will have to find a place that sells it that way. [/quote]

Maybe at your terminal.

We have independently tested ethanol content from boat fuel tanks and have found as high as 20% ethanol content in several of them.
Posted By: rlfisher

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 06/02/16 06:07 PM

Gainesville has two stations that sell fuel without ethonl

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 06/02/16 08:30 PM

Has anyone noticed ethanol free fuel around the Lake Lavon and Sam Rayburn area's by any chance ?
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 06/02/16 08:39 PM

The amount of ethanol in gasoline cannot legally exceed the amount advertised on the pump.
Posted By: Po Boy

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 06/02/16 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: DarrellSimpson
Has anyone noticed ethanol free fuel around the Lake Lavon and Sam Rayburn area's by any chance ?

I store my boat in McKinney and fish Lavon and Tawakoni. When I need gas between trips to Tawakoni I go to Greenville, Daniel's Best Buy for ethanol free gas. When I fish Tawakoni I fill up at Doc's in East Tawakoni before coming home. The marina on Lavon may have it, don't know, but I am too cheap to pay marina prices for gas.

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 06/02/16 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
The amount of ethanol in gasoline cannot legally exceed the amount advertised on the pump.

Key word here is "LEGALLY".
The only way to know is test it.
The percent of ethanol may be incorrectly added by the local fuel distributor or gas retailer. Overblending and "double-blending" is common. Adding 15, 20% or higher amounts of ethanol- (Legal limit=10%). Distributors do this all the time to raise their profits since Ethanol is subsidized and costs them less.

HOW TO TEST FUEL
FOR ETHANOL

This is a way that private airplane pilots sometimes use.

To determine if ethanol is in the gas:

On a test tube or olive bottle six or seven inches long, make a permanent line about two inches from the bottom.
Fill with water to this line, then fill the tube to the top with gasoline.
Cover the tube, agitate it, and let it stand.

The ethanol and water will mix and separate out together. If the water level appears to have increased, the fuel contains ethanol and should not be used. Ethanol percentages of less than 5% can sometimes give a reading below the line. Therefore, any deviation in the water line indicates the presence of ethanol and should serve as a basis for rejecting the fuel.
Posted By: hunterfishes

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 06/03/16 01:16 PM

the new owners who reopened Millers Grocery on Hwy 96 between Jasper and Hwy 255 sell ethanol free fuel only. the store is called "Ol millers" its about five miles north of Jasper and maybe ten miles from Twin Dikes

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 06/03/16 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: ChuChu1

Key word here is "LEGALLY".
The only way to know is test it.
The percent of ethanol may be incorrectly added by the local fuel distributor or gas retailer. Overblending and "double-blending" is common. Adding 15, 20% or higher amounts of ethanol- (Legal limit=10%). Distributors do this all the time to raise their profits since Ethanol is subsidized and costs them less.

HOW TO TEST FUEL
FOR ETHANOL

This is a way that private airplane pilots sometimes use.

To determine if ethanol is in the gas:

On a test tube or olive bottle six or seven inches long, make a permanent line about two inches from the bottom.
Fill with water to this line, then fill the tube to the top with gasoline.
Cover the tube, agitate it, and let it stand.

The ethanol and water will mix and separate out together. If the water level appears to have increased, the fuel contains ethanol and should not be used. Ethanol percentages of less than 5% can sometimes give a reading below the line. Therefore, any deviation in the water line indicates the presence of ethanol and should serve as a basis for rejecting the fuel.

I don't believe it's very common, in fact rare. Too many people running around with olive bottles doing a so called test.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 06/03/16 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: DarrellSimpson

There's a couple in jasper, one in Buna, and I think one more on hwy 69 somewhere. They are all in that link on this thread. I called them all and they are still selling it. We need to give these places all of the business we can to keep this stuff around
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 06/04/16 12:50 AM

you might consider having the non-ethanol gas you buy from the station tested to see how much ethanol is actually in it.

Some stations cheat a little.

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 06/05/16 10:54 AM

the skipper. I agree with you , I will buy from places with ethanol free gas as much as possible , I wish the marina's didn't charge so much for their fuel.

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 06/05/16 11:00 AM

I just loaded the Pure Gas application on my phone , I'm surprised how many ethanol free gas stations are in the area .

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 06/05/16 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Bruce Allen
you might consider having the non-ethanol gas you buy from the station tested to see how much ethanol is actually in it.

Cheat? No way. Just because I put 27 gallons in my 25 gallon tank that wasn't empty yet because I drove into the station and a person would think that somebody had messed with the pumps?
How is that cheating? BTW this station is owned and run by foreigners. Did I report it? Oh hail yeah!
Another time on the way to the deer lease we stopped in Sweetwater to fill some 5 gallon gas cans to take down and they each held 6.5 gallons. My buddy didn't figure it out until we were already on the road again.
Naw, gas stations don't ever cheat smile
Posted By: karpbuster

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 06/06/16 02:51 PM

I did not see this one on the list Powell Park at Sam Rayburn has a pump with pure Unleaded. I buy it for my pumps, Lawn Tractor, Pressure Washer, etc.

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 06/06/16 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Bruce Allen

Cheat? No way. Just because I put 27 gallons in my 25 gallon tank that wasn't empty yet because I drove into the station and a person would think that somebody had messed with the pumps?
How is that cheating? BTW this station is owned and run by foreigners. Did I report it? Oh hail yeah!
Another time on the way to the deer lease we stopped in Sweetwater to fill some 5 gallon gas cans to take down and they each held 6.5 gallons. My buddy didn't figure it out until we were already on the road again.
Naw, gas stations don't ever cheat smile

If the first can took 6.5 gallons why did you continue filling the rest of the some cans?
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 06/06/16 05:35 PM

Filled up at Star Mart once and boat took 12.5 gallons on an empty 12 gallon tank. Previously I had never put more than 11.8 in when empty. I confronted the owner on it all he said was "the pumps have been tested".
Posted By: engnman

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 06/06/16 07:24 PM

Place in Bowie has it bought some last month.
Posted By: jiggmann

Re: Where to buy Gas with least amount of ethanol ? - 06/06/16 09:34 PM

Any place in dfw
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum