Texas Fishing Forum

Good Cheap Rainsuit

Posted By: David Lee

Good Cheap Rainsuit - 10/22/03 08:03 PM

Guys I need to get me a good rain suit. I know the Gore-tex is good but they want to much $$$$$$$$$. Does anybody make a good cheap rainsuit? Thanks for any and all tips/suggestions.

------------------
David

"Git-R-Done"
Posted By: foul_hook

Re: Good Cheap Rainsuit - 10/22/03 08:12 PM

I use the eddie bauer gear over at Acadamy. I think it is less than $40. It does the job, keeps me dry. I am also happy with the way it fits.
F_H
Posted By: scott01

Re: Good Cheap Rainsuit - 10/22/03 08:30 PM

Frogg Toggs are relatively cheap if you don't buy the camo version (they're about $30 more). If I'm not mistaken, they cost around $70 for the pants and jacket together. They are lightweight and store easily. I know numerous people who use them and they have nothing but good things to say about them.
Posted By: SkeeterHawk

Re: Good Cheap Rainsuit - 10/22/03 08:42 PM

http://store.basstackle.com/basstackle/frogtograin.html

------------------

Posted By: Duck_Jerky

Re: Good Cheap Rainsuit - 10/22/03 09:20 PM

Academy usually sells some for like $30 that are in the plastic bags. The one thing you might think about if you are going to be in it for a while is the noise that cheap ones make...gets annoying.
Academy also sells a 3/4 length camo parka...made by Hodgmans...it is great...had mine for several years...and use it duck hunting all the time...still looks brand new. I believe they are $35 and have a hood.

------------------

Duck Jerky Guide Service
Posted By: Weekender1

Re: Good Cheap Rainsuit - 10/22/03 09:23 PM

Even cheaper than that is Wal-mart has the Stearns Rainsuit for 25.00. I use mine all the time and when it tears (about 2 years depending on use) I go buy another one.

Jody

------------------

Posted By: curtis_catfish_73

Re: Good Cheap Rainsuit - 10/22/03 10:10 PM

I bought on in camo, they are great. Bib overalls and a full length jacket.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2864011041&category=2997
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Good Cheap Rainsuit - 10/22/03 10:18 PM

Cheap is relative, so I don't know how much you want to spend. Cabellas has Helly Hanson and Columbia in there respective versions of Gore-Tex for much less than the Guidewear. One of these might work for you.

Go to Cabelas, then Casual Wear, and find the link for Men's Rainwear.

The main issues for me are 100% waterproof, and BREATHEABLE! Nothing worse than that clammy feeling you get when you have to wear the plasticized stuff all day. You sweat to the point you might as well been rained on!

KD

Re: Good Cheap Rainsuit - 10/23/03 01:39 PM

Kelly,

I agree 100% on the PVC style rainsuits (non-breathable). I can't stand them because I always sweat so bad in them. Has anyone had any experience with rainsuits made by O2? I saw some camo ones at an Army/Navy store last night and they were marked down from $89 to $49, they are breathable and very light weight. Since I hadn't seen that brand before I wasn't sure about them being 100% waterproof. I checked out their military Gore-Tex suits but a pant and jaclet combo would be about $100. For that price, I would rather get NEW Frogg Toggs in camo...
Posted By: Bassinfool

Re: Good Cheap Rainsuit - 10/23/03 01:41 PM

FROGG TOGGS all the way.....about $39.95 to $59.95 and they are somewhat wind resistant....I think they have a website too.
Posted By: POPPA

Re: Good Cheap Rainsuit - 10/23/03 01:48 PM

FROGG TOGGS Lite weight, breathable, quiet, and they dry quickly and store easy.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Good Cheap Rainsuit - 10/23/03 01:49 PM

Frogg Toggs the only way to go.

Re: Good Cheap Rainsuit - 10/23/03 02:07 PM

I have seriously considered the Frogg Toggs but they are a little over $100 for the camo version (I am wanting them for hunting only) unless someone here knows where I can buy them cheaper.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Good Cheap Rainsuit - 10/23/03 08:25 PM

Garbage Bags with eye holes cut out is pretty cheap, stores nicely and also doubles as a trash bag or storage device for anything else you don't want to get wet. You can also use it for a weigh in bag. Did i mention reusuable.?

I have found some people do look at me funny though.

Re: Good Cheap Rainsuit - 10/23/03 08:28 PM

My wife told me to quit wasting time trying to find cheaper alternatives and just go buy the Frogg Toggs. Her belief is always that you get what you pay for. I disagree on some occasions but I will take her advice this time. I checked with Frogg Toggs customer service and they said that BassPro and Academy both sell them so I guess I am going shopping...Again.
Posted By: scouter

Re: Good Cheap Rainsuit - 10/23/03 08:32 PM

I agree you get what you pay for! But remember that if your body is dry and your feet are wet its still a miserable day!

------------------
Well there you go!
Posted By: Kat-man-do

Re: Good Cheap Rainsuit - 10/24/03 07:48 AM

Since you looked at the Gore-Tex, I figure you aren't looking for just a rain suit, but insulated rainwear.

If you just want to stay dry, any rainsuit will do (just about), but if you want that same suit to keep you warm in blowing rain on cold days, you need to consider that you get what you pay for. So you can layer properly and still have poor rain protection and end up wet, cold or both. Also, do you want to buy the suit again every year or so?

I have three suits. One for summer that is made by Columbia. It consists of a yellow and black jacket and black pants. I have a green and black suit for weather just bit more extreme that is jacket and pants, and I have the Gore Tex wetlands camo jacket and bibbed overalls. I figure that the camo is better because you can still use it for fishing, but also for hunting where as a bright color or solid color will not fare will with geese or ducks.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum