Texas Fishing Forum

San Marcos River, Martindale

Posted By: phone man

San Marcos River, Martindale - 10/21/03 02:09 AM

Well I haven't been fishing since tearing up the salt down on SPI back in July. My wife's Girl Scout troop is going canoeing on the San Marco with an LCRA guide this weekend in Matindale. Their trip is from 9a to 4p so I thought this may be a great opportunity to get the R&R out of storage. We will be around Spencer Canoes and Shady Grove, can anyone recommend what to shoot for and possibly baits to suggest. I'm mainly a saltwater guy, but have a decent amount of bass fishing gear and an old rig I claim is for kitties. I've heard kitties are good on this river, but I'm not picky about what species. Thanks.
Posted By: roadtrip

Re: San Marcos River, Martindale - 10/21/03 12:05 PM

I know the catfishing is excellent in this river. You can set up on sand/gravel beaches on the insides of bends and put your bait in one of the pools that follows a riffle and wait for a bite while enjoying just being there. Lots of wildlife too. Ask some of the locals that you're renting canoes/campsites from about what baits to use. That section of the river is mainly riffles/pool-riffles/pool on and on. Not sure about any specific methods for other fish on this river. Good luck and let us know how it goes, post pictures if you can.
roadtrip
Posted By: phone man

Re: San Marcos River, Martindale - 10/22/03 12:43 AM

Thanks for the info.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum