Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Trout and King Salmon - Mackinac Island, Michigan

Posted By: Rob Lay

Lake Trout and King Salmon - Mackinac Island, Michigan - 07/27/14 02:34 PM

We're at Mackinac Island right now, family charter this evening for Lake Teout and King Salmon. Tomorrow I'm going out all day without the girls.

Jennie has done it, but I never have. No idea what to expect. What's a good sized Lake Trout and King Salmon? Any other tips?
Posted By: Going Green

Re: Lake Trout and King Salmon - Mackinac Island, Michigan - 07/27/14 03:04 PM

Im from Charlevoix, been fishing my whole life up there for Kings and Greasers (lake trout). A big Great Lakes Salmon is anything over 25lbs. They occasionally go 35lbs+. Lake Trout go 10lbs+

You can expect to be trolling deep for Lakers using downriggers. You may pick up a whitefish that way too. Lead core or dipsy divers and planer boards for Kings. Dodgers/flashers and spoons are pretty common. Some guys use meat rigs or flys too. Don't be surprised to pick up a steelhead or two out there too!

Enjoy your trip to Northern Michigan! My favorite place on earth!

Re: Lake Trout and King Salmon - Mackinac Island, Michigan - 07/27/14 05:32 PM

Thanks Going Green! Exactly type of info I was looking for. I will post updates. A few storms have been around.

Re: Lake Trout and King Salmon - Mackinac Island, Michigan - 07/28/14 02:02 AM

4 hours this evening for Lake Trout and King Salmon. Only a single nice Lake Trout, worth every minute though. What a pretty fish. Tomorrow Walleye with possible Northern and Smallmouth.

Posted By: Going Green

Re: Lake Trout and King Salmon - Mackinac Island, Michigan - 07/28/14 05:05 AM

Nice Laker! I can hear that wire singing in your pics!
Posted By: LoneStarCarper

Re: Lake Trout and King Salmon - Mackinac Island, Michigan - 07/29/14 12:18 PM

Hit the pink pony up for sure, also if you have a rod with you fish the rock breakers on the south east point of the island behind the hotdog stand smallmouth and rockbass pile up there...your probably not into flyfishing for carp but just in case around the corner from mission point resort just past the "cliff" carp move in on those flats. Nothing like the smell of horse poop and fudge thumb

Re: Lake Trout and King Salmon - Mackinac Island, Michigan - 07/30/14 05:01 PM

Ha. Coming back into dock the sonar was loaded with suspended fish 50 yards offshore, I bet carp.
Posted By: LoneStarCarper

Re: Lake Trout and King Salmon - Mackinac Island, Michigan - 08/01/14 03:09 PM

Probably it's been weird up there this summer
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum