Texas Fishing Forum

Locker-Bar - who has one?

Posted By: Okyakfishing

Locker-Bar - who has one? - 03/23/14 06:08 AM

Really hate taking my gear out of the boat when at the motel & when the boats not secured in the garage. So who has one and are they worth the $$$. I mean do you think they would slow down the "bad man" from stealing my stuff. Not sure anything can protect 100%. Also best place to buy - Thanks.
Posted By: KB1953

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 03/23/14 01:29 PM

Locks are for honest people. Take your gear inside and have peace of mind. Really, how long does it take to unload.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 03/24/14 01:11 AM

If someone wants it bad enough, they will find a way to steal it.
Posted By: Flippin Skeeter

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 03/24/14 01:29 AM

I have one , bottom line they are just good for keeping a honest man honest. Wouldn't take a lot of effort if someone really wanted to get in . Hopefully the bar and padlock is visually enough to deter them.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 03/24/14 01:35 AM

Lok r bar is great for those stops to eat, gas up, check in, etc...but they are not that great to protect your stuff in a dark parking lot of a motel at the lake. If you are going to count on it for overnight protection, make sure you have great insurance.
Posted By: Silent 45

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 03/24/14 03:03 AM

Yep, HasBen has it......Ive got one. very sturdy, but the weak link is how long the pole is on mine. I run one of the last 911's made, very wide. I replaced the lock that came with the boat with one that cant be cut, but again it is anchored in plates that are set into fiberglass. With a little leverage the bar can be picked up at the middle. It will deter the guy that wants a quick grab, but not the guy with friends in the middle of the night. I would buy one just keep in mind the limitations. Bass Pro, Cabelas will be good place to start.
Posted By: Jamoke

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 03/24/14 12:03 PM

What about an alarm system? something that will go off as soon as they touch the boat?
Posted By: PhotonSlinger

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 03/24/14 01:42 PM

I have heard of people that want your stuff bad enough will take the winch strap off the front of the boat and go over the front and hook it to the bar. Then they just use the winch to bust out the fiberglass around the inserts on the side where the bar is held in place. I don't know anybody that has had that done to them personally but that is what I was told.
Posted By: Silent 45

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 03/24/14 02:12 PM

Yep Photon Slinger, Leverage!

Jamoke, get you one,"Locker Bar" but if you are over nighting take your stuff in. If you are like me you carry a lot of gear! Yes it takes 15 minutes to unload your stuff, but how many weeks if not months will it take for you to work out the details with your insurance company. Then if the stuff isnt Bran-new they only give you depreciated value. Not worth it!
Posted By: C Worthy

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 03/24/14 02:26 PM

I am in the process of building my own out of 10 ga 3/4 and 1" square tubing One slid inside the other, you ain't bending them with just a pry bar. I didn't like the fact that the end supports required you to drill your boat but still did not recess very far. I am on board with everyone else though, if you are going to stay overnight, take it inside. I just want to be able to stop and eat or park my trailer beside my cabin and not have to unload every time or if I rent a overnight slip, I can come in and eat or take a break and secure the lockers (day time) and then go back out. I just know the locks that come on the triton are pretty much worthless for security.

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 03/24/14 02:28 PM

I am in the process of building my own out of 10 ga 3/4 and 1" square tubing One slid inside the other, you ain't bending them with just a pry bar. I didn't like the fact that the end supports required you to drill your boat but still did not recess very far. I am on board with everyone else though, if you are going to stay overnight, take it inside. I just want to be able to stop and eat or park my trailer beside my cabin and not have to unload every time or if I rent a overnight slip, I can come in and eat or take a break and secure the lockers (day time) and then go back out. I just know the locks that come on the triton are pretty much worthless for security.
Posted By: kevin

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 03/24/14 04:41 PM

I have
Locker Bar keeps honest people honest deters dishonest
Alarm Hopefully wakes me up and scares them away
45 if they are unlucky and we meet
Posted By: Ranger-188-2007

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 03/24/14 07:27 PM

Just keep a dog in the boat..
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 03/24/14 08:07 PM

I have one and feel very confident that my stuff is secure. The urban legend of using the bow strap has never been proven and many including myself have asked to see any proof. None has surfaced. While it is true that nothing is 100% thief proof this is a deterent that will keep them moving. I also have an alarm so that adds another level of security.
Posted By: The Fishing Physicist

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 03/26/14 07:26 AM

My idea of locker protection.

The dark blue and light blue are steel channel, or I-Beam. By taking the side pieces (light blue) and locking them onto the frame of your trailer you pretty well element anything like an easy way to get into the lockers. The other thing is that it keeps theft of the boat off the trailer.

TFP
Posted By: 361V

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 03/26/14 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: The Fishing Physicist
My idea of locker protection.

The dark blue and light blue are steel channel, or I-Beam. By taking the side pieces (light blue) and locking them onto the frame of your trailer you pretty well element anything like an easy way to get into the lockers. The other thing is that it keeps theft of the boat off the trailer.

TFP
If they steal my 21' Ranger OFF my trailer they deserve it! :-)
Posted By: MATTSUEY

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 03/28/14 01:39 AM

I built my own,way more sturdy than the loc-r-bar
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 03/28/14 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: MATTSUEY
I built my own,way more sturdy than the loc-r-bar

I'd like to see a photo of yours. A Loc-R-Bar is pretty sturdy made with stainless steel tubing.
Posted By: Skip

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 03/28/14 03:56 PM

I've never used a locker bar. I store my stuff in the compartments and lock them while traveling. When I stop to eat it keeps anyone rom walking by and grabbing an item off the boat. Staying over night at a motel I remove everything and replace it the next morning. And I leave all compartments unlocked on overnight stays at motels. If someone want in your boat they will tear up your boat pulling on compartment lids and locker bars to get into the compartments.
Posted By: KB1953

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 03/28/14 04:42 PM

Only way to go!

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 03/29/14 03:59 AM

I'll bet u a c-note, u can pull all you want on mine, your not getting into my compartments, can't get pics to load,texasbass pm me and I'll text pics

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 04/08/14 02:45 AM

Here's mine
Posted By: Double K Outdoors

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 04/08/14 02:19 PM

Not bad Matt... one question. What kind of screws did you use? If it's standard screws, anybody with a $10 power tool will be able to get in there with minimal noise and fairly quickly. Great design though. Better than the ones I've seen.
Posted By: Jigfish

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 04/08/14 05:49 PM

I like mine. Someone want to steal something from me and see the lock r bars and yours doesn't i will move on to an easier target.
Posted By: jhick21i

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 04/11/14 02:26 AM

I want one now!!!

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 04/11/14 02:44 AM

I built my own and two of them together cost me less than $75.
My Lok-R-Bars
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Locker-Bar - who has one? - 04/11/14 05:22 PM

What I understand is thiefs just rip them out.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum