Texas Fishing Forum

Rayburn boat towing?

Posted By: axeslinger

Rayburn boat towing? - 03/11/14 08:56 PM

So I broke down on Rayburn this weekend, slipped a hub and didn't have a spare. I was stranded for about 4 hours before someone finally helped. It was pretty cold, Im glad I didn't have my kids with me. Does anyone know of a towing service or emergency # I could program into my phone for future piece of mind?
Posted By: TexomaPowerboater

Re: Rayburn boat towing? - 03/11/14 10:33 PM

Posted By: I love fishing

Re: Rayburn boat towing? - 03/11/14 10:45 PM

I would call a game warden. They're pretty helpful. Nice folks.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Rayburn boat towing? - 03/11/14 10:56 PM

why not just get an aluminum spare prop, still cheaper than a tow by far.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Rayburn boat towing? - 03/12/14 01:07 AM

Call 911. Often they can get in touch with a local Fire Rescue or Warden that can come out and help.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Rayburn boat towing? - 03/12/14 05:17 AM

Don't know if Boat US has contact around Rayburn, but could be an option to look into
Posted By: sight fisher

Re: Rayburn boat towing? - 03/12/14 09:38 AM

Rayburn still has a lot of area with no cell service.
Posted By: J2H1

Re: Rayburn boat towing? - 03/12/14 09:27 PM

The game warden won't be much help except maybe giving you a name or phone number. Had friends break down on Lake Whitney last year and the game warden pulled up checked safety equipment while they explained their motor wouldn't start. The game warden gave them a name of a marina and went on checking other boats in the area.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Rayburn boat towing? - 03/13/14 02:08 AM

The game warden would not give them a tow? Isn't it unlawful to leave a stranded boater?
Posted By: rexmitchell

Re: Rayburn boat towing? - 03/13/14 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: bush hog
The game warden would not give them a tow? Isn't it unlawful to leave a stranded boater?

Might be a liability issue, I've heard of people suing over damage to their boat when they were getting towed.
Posted By: J2H1

Re: Rayburn boat towing? - 03/13/14 08:27 PM

No. They flat out refused a tow or any assistance beyond the name and number of a marina to call for help.I thought it was unlawful to leave them as well.
Posted By: CedarCreekWoody

Re: Rayburn boat towing? - 03/13/14 09:55 PM

Game warden, sheriff, coast guard, etc. will normally not provide a free tow unless there is an imminent threat to life or major damage. This is because it is not fair to use tax supported assets to compete with commercial enterprise (towing services). If they provided free tows people would call them rather than hire a towing service, in effect using tax money to compete with a private business.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum