Texas Fishing Forum

little help

Posted By: Donny Allen

little help - 01/27/03 05:45 PM

I need a little help. I am new to the board and a little information on buying a used boat. The one I am looking at is a 98 Bass Cat Pantera III. What are some of the things I should look for and questions I should ask?
Posted By: Weekender1

Re: little help - 01/27/03 06:11 PM

Good Luck and glad to have ya aboard....

Price, shape of the boat (carpet, paint, gel-coat), leaks, age of the pumps (bildge, areators) what kind of graphs, trailer condition, speed of boat -- how does it handle? There are lots of questions but most are answered by you as you take it out for a test run I recommend you always do this before buying a boat. Also what size trolling motor and is it enough for the boat, how old are the batteries-- how long do they stay charged. Man there are a lot of things to ask before buying a boat..

Jody
Posted By: bgibson

Re: little help - 01/27/03 06:38 PM

If you have a chance, I might suggest talking to the folks at The Fishing Store in either Garland or Rockwall. They are a BassCat dealership and should be able to help you with any questions you might have regarding the boat you are looking at. The store in Garland is located at 3601 Forest Lane. Ph # is 972-487-0330. If you have access to the boat they might be able to inspect it for you before you make the purchase.
Posted By: Donny Allen

Re: little help - 01/27/03 06:55 PM

Thanks guys. I will check with The Fishing Store. Thats where my dad and I used to buy most of our tackle.
Posted By: PROCRAFT

Re: little help - 01/28/03 12:49 AM

Weekender hit it on the head.....Have them take you for a test drive. If they have problems with doing that,their possibly hiding something their trying to pawn off.

Good luck
Vance
Posted By: Tim

Re: little help - 01/28/03 02:37 AM

I would always do a compression test just to be safe. If you cant do it, take it somewhere that can.
Posted By: TX Champ

Re: little help - 01/28/03 03:09 AM

Also pull the plug on the lower unit and check for chunks of metal, and good color of the oil (not milky). Metal shavings are common, chunks are not. Compression should run 5-10% variance. The cat should make you a fine ride if it all seems OK. Check for UV damage on the seats, carpet, plexiglass, etc. This will tell you if the previous owner let it sit out or stored it properly. You can also kinda check out the price at http://www3.nadaguides.com/SectionHome/M...=4&wPg=1172 .

Remember that an exceptionally clean boat will bring a little more and a ragged out one should bring less. Make him take youfor a test drive. Remember, Ride & Decide!! (just couldn't help it!! LMAO)
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum