Texas Fishing Forum

Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers?

Posted By: TKO3459

Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 09/25/13 03:00 AM

What do you think is a reasonable way or formula to share fishing trip expenses with co-anglers? The first trip is always on me but after that it starts getting expensive.
Posted By: Accutrigger33

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 09/25/13 03:12 AM

hard to say when you dont know how much fuel is gunna be used while on lake...sometimes i fill her up and only use 1/4 tank...i guess thats a good thing, found the fish quicker than i thought...most of the time when we go to my lakehouse at fork and use my boat...they drive me down there and pay for all my food...kinda even things out a little...i wont be too picky though...it will drive u crazy if u do
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 09/25/13 03:15 AM

We do not fish tournaments at all, just stripers & hybrids. My guests help out with fuel, food and expenses when I take my boat, we fish weekly all year long. Never had any problems with that.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 09/25/13 03:28 AM

It is easy if you keep a expense sheet on the dash board of the truck. If you are going in your rig start the trip with the boat full of fuel and the truck full of fuel. You will bring it home the same way.

On the sheet I have my name on one side and partners name on the other. We try to keep my expenses and his expenses even through out the trip. If I spend $100 on gas, I record it on my side. He will then spend $100 on whatever comes up, (food, gas or motel).

At the end of the trip we add up each collum.
If I spent $100 more than he did, then he owes me $50, and we are even.

ANOTHER EXAMPLE
I run a fishing business and take all the deductions I can get so to make the trip easy; I pay for everything and record all expenses on the expense sheet. At the end of the trip he can pay his half by check or cash.
Posted By: Harte Nuss

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 09/25/13 03:23 PM

if i invite someone to go fishing it's on me...they can pitch in if/where they choose...if they ask me to take them or suggest it...then they will pay...if they share cost when i take them then i'll share with them, if they bum trips and never pitch in then i won't either...

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 09/25/13 05:33 PM

Great points fellas! That's what I was looking for with the question. As several anglers and most co-anglers know, owning a boat is an outrageous expense these days. Then when considered that the boat owner typically has 2 hours of prep time before the trip and 2 more hours post clean up time after the trip. I do think that splitting the fuel, fees, and other expenses 50/50 is perfect. I also like the idea of the co-angler supplying the drinks/food & ice which takes a big responsibility and time consuming factor off the boater. Im a big believer that the most important thing more than splitting expenses is respecting the boaters equipment. No matter what shape his boat is in help keep it clean. Make sure your shoes are clean, bring an extra trash bag, extra rag, bring bottle drinks instead of cans. All the little things help and boaters respect this. Thanks for the thoughts and ideas! I just want to build a better experience for all fisherman whether the boater or non boater.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 09/25/13 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: TKO3459
Great points fellas! That's what I was looking for with the question. As several anglers and most co-anglers know, owning a boat is an outrageous expense these days. Then when considered that the boat owner typically has 2 hours of prep time before the trip and 2 more hours post clean up time after the trip. I do think that splitting the fuel, fees, and other expenses 50/50 is perfect. I also like the idea of the co-angler supplying the drinks/food & ice which takes a big responsibility and time consuming factor off the boater. Im a big believer that the most important thing more than splitting expenses is respecting the boaters equipment. No matter what shape his boat is in help keep it clean. Make sure your shoes are clean, bring an extra trash bag, extra rag, bring bottle drinks instead of cans. All the little things help and boaters respect this. Thanks for the thoughts and ideas! I just want to build a better experience for all fisherman whether the boater or non boater.

ok if they are plastic, big no no to bring glass to the lake.
I prefer cans, can be crushed and put back in the cooler.
Posted By: mrmakAUCTIONEER

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 09/25/13 08:34 PM

I always eat the expense figure I was going that way any way! I love asking bankers to just get in the boat. no charge. It is such a blessing. Especially if we are cooking a shore lunch that's always an open invite for any bankers to join in as long as the fish last. Or if I am in a hurry I ask the bankers if they want my catch. That's always pretty cool also. Even the yak I carry the extra seat paddle, and life jackets. Just in case they want to try a paddling adventure. That's just me: >I don't expect that when I am banking it. Having second thoughts about posting that too LOL
Posted By: I love fishing

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 09/25/13 09:59 PM

I'll take a non boater with me free on 1st trip. If I took you on 2nd trip and you don't offer to help with gas for the truck you won't be invited anymore. You have to respect my boat and not walk on the seats or make a mess. After the trip and you don't thank me for taking you. Most definitely you won't be going with me anymore. This happened to me two times. I prefer to go by myself and less stress to worry about. I'm pretty generous but don't take advantage of me. My two cents.

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 09/25/13 11:50 PM

Yes indeed-no glass only plastic. The reason I only allow plastic bottles is because I learned the hard way several years ago. Had a guy bring a red soda in the can that spilled all over the new carpet. That was really the end to cans in the boat! Not his fault because I took off without checking. Thanks for the responses. Keep'em coming, I've seen some great ideas.
Posted By: PhishWhisperer

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 09/26/13 12:03 AM

None of my fishing buddies held a gun to my head to make me buy my big bass boat and truck, so why should I expect them to do any more than split the fuel costs? If I go fishing by myself I have to pay for everything.

Having a partner along makes it a little easier financially, but I certainly don't expect him to buy my meals and pay for wear and tear on the equipment.

If you have no expectations you won't be disappointed!
Posted By: four fingers

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 09/26/13 11:18 AM

i fill up boat and truck before we leave .we split cost on everything and bring boat and truck back full.
Posted By: James Tucker

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 09/27/13 07:50 PM

If fishing tournaments you need to figure wear and tear. If it's his boat, offer to pull it with your truck. If it's his boat and truck figure that as 3rd person when you split winnings. You'll take 1/3 he'll get 2/3.

Fun fishing, offer to pitch in. Unless they fish all the time it's costing about $100 per fishing trip for them to own a boat plus fuel. Keep the boater happy and you'll be the guy getting calls for the really cool trips (falcon, texoma,tawakoni)

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 09/29/13 04:53 AM

Awesome ideas! I really enjoy hearing all the thoughts and ideas on how to handle this matter. Any more great ones???? Keep'em coming!
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 09/29/13 03:36 PM

Got really tired of pre fishing for all those tournaments then my partner reaping the benifits of the pay check.

None of them could ever go because of work. I could never keep a partner anyway; just hard to come by, finding a partner that can go every time as needed.

After about the second one this was the deal. Here are the receipts for all the pre fishing. Let's say two pre prefishing trips cost $1,000 to get ready for the tournament. If we won $2,000 I got my money back before the split. Leaving him with $500. You can see why the rest of my partners didn't last long.

OH. and don't forget to add in the $25 for that gallon of oil on a 3 day trip.
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 09/30/13 10:48 PM

I make them clean thier rooms, mow the lawn and keep their mouths shut to mamma about the 3 beers I take in the cooler.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 10/01/13 12:42 AM

If I invite someone it's because I want to fish with that person. I was going anyway, and I don't expect anything other than "Thanks" from him / her. If I'm invited I offer to pay half the costs. Some accept, others don't. Either way, it was never a big deal for me. My biggest problem was always someone "helping" me launch or recover. I know they meant well, but I got used to doing it alone and had a routine. Someone trying to help me breaks the routine, and I end up overlooking something.
Posted By: worm on a hook

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 10/01/13 01:25 AM

I fish with Lenahorse once a week weather permiting. I always bring plenty to eat and drink. I chip in on gas. If we run all over the lake and burn alot of gas I chip in more. We were put together by Etu and have a couple dozen trips together. He uses his truck and boat. I pay launch fee if we go to a marina. I am greatful everytime he has me on the boat. I have a bass boat but his center console is so much more comfortable. Always help out as much as you can. Remember They had to buy the boat. Tournament is something I cant comment on.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 10/01/13 02:34 PM

As you can see main thing is communication. There is no answer you will find on the interwebs that fits every situation. This is simple, just ask the boater what they expect. Work out deal that works for both and ur good. If you feel it out of line , you have the option to not go. If the boater was going anyways... he doesn't have to take a back seater.
Posted By: rossicraig

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 10/28/13 12:32 AM

take an average and don't squabble about a dime and eveyone will have a good time
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 10/28/13 08:59 PM

Don't forget the cost of truck gas. From Plano to Sandlin this weekend cost me $74.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 10/29/13 01:48 PM

What do you think is a reasonable way or formula to share fishing trip expenses with co-anglers? The first trip is always on me but after that it starts getting expensive.

Start with a full tank of gas in the tow vehicle and boat. End with a full tank of gas in the tow vehicle and boat. split the cost of the gas used. Split the launch fees, tolls, lodging bills and go dutch on the eats. I used to fish with a guy that even threw in the cost of oil. That is a bit cheap if you ask me, but I willingly paid it.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 10/29/13 02:25 PM

I don't fish tournaments, so that's off the table for me.

but, for me, I look at it this way.... I chose to buy my boat, choose to go fishing and often fish by myself. I do not get to anxious about passengers chipping in since I would be going anyway, even if by myself.

Now when I go somewhere that is a haul to get there, and someone is going with me, then I do expect some money for fuel and ancillary costs. But the guys I do trips like that with are usually boat owners too, and they understand the costs involved. So getting donations to cover costs is not usually an issue. I wouldn't invite people who didn't at least offer to pitch in now and again.

I use my dad's old method if I'm planning a distance trip (charter, guide, etc) with someone new (who i worry might bail at the last minute). We estimate costs in the planning stages, and participants put up a deposit (goes into a kitty) that cover fuel, charter, and lodging costs. It is understood that this is non-refundable if they bail, so the whole trip doesn't get cancelled if they can't go for some reason. This will weed out the people that think it sounds fun, but back out when it comes time to go.
Posted By: Hookset Brother- Martin

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 10/29/13 03:07 PM

First two trips is on me after that if I have to ask for gas money I won't be taking them again. If I'm planning on a trip and hr or more then I will be upfront about it! Nothing like fishing with people who don't care a out taking care of your boat or are too cheap to chip in. I guess they just don't realize the time n energy it takes to maintain a boat.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 10/29/13 04:58 PM

Boy, I can see why a lot of y'all fish alone. Lots of selfish people on here. I bought my boat to enjoy it, not to try to make someone else pay for it. You guys remind me of kids with a piece of candy fighting over it. Its mine, no its mine, I had it first! SLAP! Now its mine.
Posted By: BassSniper1

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 10/29/13 05:43 PM

I offer up my back seat fairly often to others on here and else where. I dont expect them to pay me a dime. I was going anyway and just get tired of going alone and like the company.

That being said everyone that has went with has chipped in one way or another. Gas money, bought me lunch ect. And I was glad to have them along. A few have been repeats and I have enjoyed there genarosity and company on every trip. I have learned a few things from as they said they have learned some things from me. For me I guess its more about the comradary than anything.
Posted By: JD RODS

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 11/05/13 01:19 PM

Always offered to help before I had a boat. I expect anybody I take to do the same. Last thing I want to hear from a co-angler is "you were going anyway".50/50 seems fair to me. My team tournament partner and I use his truck and my boat or my truck and his boat. Fuel isn't always exactly the same but it seems to even out at the end of a trail.
Posted By: ezgoing

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 11/05/13 02:53 PM

If I invited somebody to fish I don't expect anything from them for the trip, except maybe a "thank you" at the end of the trip.

If they ask to come and I say yes, I expect them to pay for their own bait if they do not fish with jigs or lures.

I expect everybody to treat my boat and equipment with respect. I expect them to act as guests on my boat. If they do these things I am satisfied. If they don't then they will not get a second trip. I don't say anything, I simply do not allow them a second trip.

I don't expect anything else from them, since it does not cost me anymore with them on the boat than I would spend without them. It adds to the enjoyment of the trip when friends catch fish. smile
Posted By: Hoghunter36

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 11/06/13 03:54 AM

If I invite you no charge.
If you ask and I'm going anyway . You take care of you( food, drinks, tackle) no charge from me.

If your my tournament partner. We split everything in half. If I pre-fish and you can't make it you still pay half(or make it up on pre-fishing on your own). A lot of times my partner and I will take our own boats at same time so it's a wash. The half only includes gas, oil for boat , accommodations, not food since everyone eats daily anyway. LOTS OF COMMUNICATION!!!

I don't try to make money off of partner. I bought the boat to fish and with the expectation that I will fish a lot another person in the boat does not wear it out any faster.

Co- anglers only pay for gas if they ask me to go out of my way to fish. And they only pay for gas I use for their part.

All of this being said if any body causes any unreasonable damage to my boat or equipment they will be responsible to reimburse me.

Main thing is enjoy every minute god gives you on the water and in the woods!!
Everything else will work out!!
Posted By: HO$$

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 11/06/13 04:47 AM

nicely stated!
Posted By: Kat-man-do

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 11/06/13 05:11 AM

Easy: Total your miles on the tow vehicle and time on the boat, and figure out your expenses. Cut that in half.

My BIL gives me 60 dollars when I take him fishing even though I don't ask for it. This is for a short trip or an all day trip. Either way.

Your fishing partner should be pushing money your way, and you just accept as much as you feel you should.

If anyone ever takes issue with the concept of splitting costs, try hiring a guide for that amount for even half a day.
Posted By: WCLBASS

Re: Splitting the cost of fishing trips with co-anglers? - 11/06/13 11:50 AM

Truck gas 33 gals,boat gas 22gal,oil 2gals,so $184+ boat is stored at the house so thats another $2600,+ truck payment $630,so partner should pay $3,200,------JUST kidding,I dont have any payments,debt free,and never taken a dime from anyone that has fished in my boat.Ok I'll adopt a pygmy!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum