Texas Fishing Forum

gar fishing

Posted By: Capt. Jarod Peterson

gar fishing - 05/05/13 12:55 AM

can anyone direct me to a good spot to go bank fishing for gar on the trinity river in the dfw metroplex and what equipment to use
Posted By: 1st Class Tackle

Re: gar fishing - 05/05/13 02:56 AM

My company makes gar tackle. I make stainless steel quick strike rigs and I also make one of the few if not the only gar rig on the market.

Here are some links.

Gar Rig

Quick Strike Rig

I also have a how to on gar fishing just PM your email and Ill send it your way.

Tight Lines,
Alex R.

Posted By: bubbaearl55

Re: gar fishing - 05/08/13 02:49 PM

Just take a piece of cotton rope, fray it up, and use it like a topwater. The gar's teeth get tangled in it. Cheap and efficient.
Posted By: pcf

Re: gar fishing - 05/08/13 06:48 PM

Elm Fork of the Trinity in Farmers Branch is a decent place for long nose and spotted gar, and easy bank access. The largest I've caught there is a 4 foot long nose gar.

I use a 4ft 100lb mono leader, an 8/0 Mustad Circle hook and a large peg float. Bait is blue gill, gizzard shad, or cut carp. I haven't had any problems with a heavy mono leader and smaller gar.
Posted By: dmunsie

Re: gar fishing - 05/09/13 10:58 AM

Originally Posted By: bubbaearl55
Just take a piece of cotton rope, fray it up, and use it like a topwater. The gar's teeth get tangled in it. Cheap and efficient.

+1. That's really all it takes to catch longnose gar. Sight fish the area to find surfacing fish and then cast 20 feet past and reel in slowly. When they strike the lure, reel in slowly, let them pull drag, this gets their teeth caught in the rope. Getting the rope out can be a pain, but it works like a charm.

If you can, mash up a bit of shad or other cut bait, juice it up and dip the rope lure into it to add some scent. wink

Another fun way to catch Longnose/Spotted Gar is to place a live sunfish about 2ft under a bobber. When the gar strikes, let the fish run with the bait for a bit, when they slow down to re position the bait for swallowing, set the hook. The key thing is to not wait too long otherwise they swallow the hook and things get messy. If you time it right you can do safe catch and release without damaging the fish.
Posted By: The reel pro

Re: gar fishing - 05/09/13 02:47 PM

one good place is campion Trails in south irving at hunter ferrell and nursery. just park and walk across the field to the river
Posted By: onebaddj

Re: gar fishing - 05/09/13 10:08 PM

King makeral rigs work good. Or just a wire with a smaller hook key is to give them time to eat the bait.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum