Texas Fishing Forum

freshwatter reals in salt watter, HELP

Posted By: chased125

freshwatter reals in salt watter, HELP - 04/16/12 02:20 AM

im going down to the coast i plan on doing some fishing but dont want to spend another 200 dollars on a new real, any tips on cleaning my real or anything special to do? i have a aubi garcia black max that i plan on using if that helps, should i even try it? i also have braided line to for fresh water, what should i do?

Posted By: largemouthkidd

Re: freshwatter reals in salt watter, HELP - 04/16/12 03:01 AM

Just rinse it off with freshwater when your done. Be sure not to rinse it off with alot of water pressure, just spray it on there and wipe it down. Thats what I do with mine and once a year I break all my reels down to oil them and they still work as good as when I bought them.

Posted By: Brian Muirhead

Re: freshwatter reals in salt watter, HELP - 04/16/12 07:28 PM

The people that live down at the coast will submerge their reels in a 5gal. bucket of fresh water and then pump them up and down to make sure they get all the salt water out of the reel.

Posted By: butch sanders

Re: freshwatter reals in salt watter, HELP - 04/17/12 12:35 AM

yes
i have buildup on my Fenwick rod eyes, from not cleaning them

Posted By: basspromaster

Re: freshwatter reals in salt watter, HELP - 04/17/12 03:20 AM

I would buy salt x and do the bucket method. Also if u use braid. The salt will build up on it and mono too so make sure you take your line off too

Posted By: spro

Re: freshwatter reals in salt watter, HELP - 04/17/12 03:28 PM

After I rinse them with the hose I spray them down with W-D. Been doing it for years.

Posted By: scott01

Re: freshwatter reals in salt watter, HELP - 04/17/12 04:18 PM

If the hotel you're staying at has a fish cleaning area, lean your rods up against the house and get the garden hose out and wash them, top to bottom. If not, I just put them in the shower and point the spray head on them. That usually gets the job done till I get back home and have the opportunity to clean them better. The bucket deal mentioned above works well too but I also like to wash the rod and guides too. Also, no need to take your best reels down there, get some of your older ones out and use them or ibest in a $50 reel at Academy to get the job done.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum