Texas Fishing Forum

TPWD Grants Title To Used Boat Only After Austin Intervention

Posted By: Smithaven

TPWD Grants Title To Used Boat Only After Austin Intervention - 03/11/12 10:08 PM

One guy managed to beat the crazy TPWD regulations about the title for a used boat. Read about it here. banana

Posted By: Fishbreeder

Re: TPWD Grants Title To Used Boat Only After Austin Intervention - 03/12/12 04:45 AM

Been there, tried to get registration on a used boat I bought and failed miserably the first time. Only after showing up with the boat, motor, previous owner, title for boat and motor, original bill of sale and invoice, two witnesses to the sale, cancelled check, bill of sale from purchasing the used boat, and a hassle beyond imagination did I get the sticker I needed in order to actually fish out of the boat I bought.

Registration for the trailer took less then five minutes and required no papers at all.

Almost enough to make a Texan move to Louisiana, almost.

Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: TPWD Grants Title To Used Boat Only After Austin Intervention - 03/12/12 02:52 PM

You keep asking, "May I speak to your boss?" When you get to the person that says, "I don't have a boss", then you are in the right office. Unfortunately State worker bees really don't care if your problem gets solved. They're waiting for 5:00.

Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: TPWD Grants Title To Used Boat Only After Austin Intervention - 03/12/12 03:21 PM

Article says it all , over and under on how many trips it takes to get a sticker ?

Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: TPWD Grants Title To Used Boat Only After Austin Intervention - 03/12/12 04:40 PM

The boat sold at auction for $50 because no one else wants to mess with titling the boat at TPWD. A jon boat's value doubles on Craigslist if there is a title.

Posted By: brokenjeep

Re: TPWD Grants Title To Used Boat Only After Austin Intervention - 03/12/12 06:54 PM

Five trips for me and a used $250.00 two man 8' boat with all paper work in order. I got all papers that I needed sent from TPWD in in their original condition and colors and the first thing I was told is that they would not accept them because they were the wrong color! The lady then gave me black and white copies to use.

Posted By: ssmith

Re: TPWD Grants Title To Used Boat Only After Austin Intervention - 03/12/12 10:43 PM

guys it is not that hard to get boat an motor titles transferred if you have the correct title apps an they are filled out properly there is generally no problems where the problems come in is when someone is trying to sell a boat or motor that is not in thier name if you are buying aboat motor & trailer from out of state if you check with tp& w an your county tag agent for the trailer it will save a lot of headaches for all a good rule is if the boat motor & trailer is not in the name of whose getting the money run from the deal.

Posted By: John Wasmuth

Re: TPWD Grants Title To Used Boat Only After Austin Intervention - 03/13/12 01:17 AM

save yourself a lot of head aches. Never buy a boat that is not titled in the sellers name no matter how good the deal is.

Posted By: fishinnb

Re: TPWD Grants Title To Used Boat Only After Austin Intervention - 03/13/12 01:44 AM

it does save a headache. i remember haulin' #%$ to austin to get there before 5pm. all paperwork in hand. the lady off ben white/290 east was extremely friendly and stayed a few minutes later to help me be legal. trailer was a breeze.

Re: TPWD Grants Title To Used Boat Only After Austin Intervention - 03/14/12 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: ssmith
guys it is not that hard to get boat an motor titles transferred if you have the correct title apps an they are filled out properly there is generally no problems where the problems come in is when someone is trying to sell a boat or motor that is not in thier name if you are buying aboat motor & trailer from out of state if you check with tp& w an your county tag agent for the trailer it will save a lot of headaches for all a good rule is if the boat motor & trailer is not in the name of whose getting the money run from the deal.

I had every thing in order and it still took several trips, I had the wrong color? they were the offical forms from the State of Texas.
The lady I bought the boat from bought it new from Walmart in Mckinney and had the papers she got when she bought it and when I went to TPWD they said that the lady I bought it from did not pay sales tax and since she didn't then I could not pay mine until she payed hers, does that make any sense?

Posted By: ssmith

Re: TPWD Grants Title To Used Boat Only After Austin Intervention - 03/14/12 06:30 PM

yes that makes perfect sense you cant just skip a transaction if she had paid the tax an had it transferred into her name before you purchased it from her there would have been no problem because if she had not paid the tax an registered it in her name according to tp&w she was not the owner of record agian if someone is trying to sell a boat motor or trailer that the titles an registration is not in thier name walk away an tell them when they get good titles call you.

Posted By: John Wasmuth

Re: TPWD Grants Title To Used Boat Only After Austin Intervention - 03/15/12 12:03 AM

ssmith, sound advise. Been there, done that, had the head aches.

Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: TPWD Grants Title To Used Boat Only After Austin Intervention - 03/15/12 12:07 AM

What if she did not need the boat registered. No registration needed in Texas if boat does not have a motor.

Re: TPWD Grants Title To Used Boat Only After Austin Intervention - 03/15/12 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By: ssmith
yes that makes perfect sense you cant just skip a transaction if she had paid the tax an had it transferred into her name before you purchased it from her there would have been no problem because if she had not paid the tax an registered it in her name according to tp&w she was not the owner of record agian if someone is trying to sell a boat motor or trailer that the titles an registration is not in thier name walk away an tell them when they get good titles call you.

The paper work was done by the store and I had a TITLE in her name from the STATE OF TEXAS. The only thing that changed from the first trip to the last was the color of the paper.
The lady at TPWD would find a "problem" which was the color of the paper and say sorry this is the wrong color here is the correct one " A B/W copy of the original" and say "NEXT"

Re: TPWD Grants Title To Used Boat Only After Austin Intervention - 03/15/12 11:26 AM

Originally Posted By: DLALLDER
What if she did not need the boat registered. No registration needed in Texas if boat does not have a motor.

I think that the boat does not need to be registered if it is used on private property and just about anything used on public water with or without a motor must be registered.

Posted By: anthonyhicks101

Re: TPWD Grants Title To Used Boat Only After Austin Intervention - 03/15/12 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: brokenjeep
Originally Posted By: DLALLDER

I think that the boat does not need to be registered if it is used on private property and just about anything used on public water with or without a motor must be registered.

Not true. Under a certain length, a boat (vessel)can be used on public waters without registration if there is NO motor on it, gas or electric.

Posted By: anthonyhicks101

Re: TPWD Grants Title To Used Boat Only After Austin Intervention - 03/15/12 04:39 PM

To be exact....

Do I need to have a Texas title in my name for my boat and outboard motor?

Yes. The following are required to be titled:
•All motorized boats, regardless of length;
•All sailboats 14 feet in length or longer or any sailboat with an auxiliary engine(s); and
•All internal combustion (gasoline/diesel powered) outboard motors must be titled.

Parks and Wildlife Code states:

“SUBCHAPTER B-1. CERTIFICATES OF TITLE FOR VESSELS AND OUTBOARD MOTORS

Sec. 31.045. OWNERSHIP OF VESSELS AND OUTBOARD MOTORS; CERTIFICATES OF TITLE.

(a) The ownership of a vessel or of an outboard motor is evidenced by a certificate of title issued by the department, unless the vessel or the outboard motor is new.”

Vessels that are currently registered and not titled must be titled when transferred. Sailboats 14 feet and over will be registered and titled as owners become aware of these requirements. Currently owned untitled outboard motors must be titled when transferred.

Exempted vessels — USCG Documented vessels, all (non-motorized) canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats, or rubber rafts (regardless of length) when paddled, poled, or oared and sailboats under 14 feet in length when windblown.

Posted By: BSmith

Re: TPWD Grants Title To Used Boat Only After Austin Intervention - 03/16/12 05:13 AM

I went to TPWD and got an un-registered/titled boat set up and was out in 10 minutes yesterday. There's a matrix of paperwork that's required for a transaction depending on the scenario involved. I used it to print off the forms, fill them out, and was easily done in short order. I used the below matrix..

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/boat/owner/titles_and_registration/Not%20on%20TPWD%20Record.pdf

If you use the below link it'll provide matrixes for other scenarios.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/boat/owner/titles_and_registration/

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum