Texas Fishing Forum

Glide on bunk pads on boat trailers.

Posted By: TheGizzard

Glide on bunk pads on boat trailers. - 11/01/10 11:14 PM

I have A 20' painted aluminum boat.Do they really help for loading and unloading,being that it is painted,is it not a good idea to install them,or not needed for it's size.Would really appreciate any advise.
Posted By: bassdreamer

Re: Glide on bunk pads on boat trailers. - 11/02/10 12:59 AM

I purchase 'liquid rollers' at academy, and it makes the bunks as slick as....well really slick. You just spray paint it on dry bunks, let dry and your done. I used it on my old boat and on my new boat. I will warn you, the boat WILL slide right off the trailer if you release the front strap so make sure you are ready to launch or you'll have your boat sitting on the driveway!
Posted By: Lou r Pitcher

Re: Glide on bunk pads on boat trailers. - 11/02/10 01:10 AM

Just a can of Silicone Spray does just the same and is likely a lot less expensive.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Glide on bunk pads on boat trailers. - 11/02/10 01:25 AM

An aluminum boat sghouldn't need glide-sliks. There just shouldn't be that much weight. Just my opinion...
Posted By: Matt M

Re: Glide on bunk pads on boat trailers. - 11/02/10 01:29 AM

if you use them make sure its tied down good ALL the timeand your winch strap is good and not rotted saw a guy plant one on the ramp this year because his strap broke and he had those
Posted By: SKEETER151

Re: Glide on bunk pads on boat trailers. - 11/02/10 12:13 PM

I used them on my 24 foot Kenner back in the day. Instead of replacing carpet I just used these and I liked them. I used two side by side on every bunk board in the back by the transom and singles toward the front where most of the bow didnt really touch that much anyway.

"DO NOT" un-hook the rope because the boat will come off that trailer while backing it down. AND hook up the rope when pulling it forward off the ramp!! I had a buddy that didn't hook up his rope while he was pulling his boat out of the water and the boat made it about 1/4 up the ramp and slid right off onto his transom and motor like a see-saw! The slides work even better when they get wet!!

Just pay attention to what your doing and your fine.

I agree with the silicone spray on the bunk board carpet it works great. I have sprayed my boards a few times and the Skeeter slides right on and off no problems.

If the carpet is old and needs replacing I would just put the slides on.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Glide on bunk pads on boat trailers. - 11/02/10 02:53 PM

SKETTER151 speaks the truth. I had glide-sliks on the trailer of my Sea-Pro. I unhooked my boat and started backing down a steep ramp on Lake Fork. The boat started sliding, so I gunned the truck to get the boat in the water. I was lucky; I only got a little damage at the keel/transom. If I hadn't hurried, the boat would have come right off of the trailer onto the ground!
Posted By: Bernie Lee

Re: Glide on bunk pads on boat trailers. - 11/02/10 08:26 PM

Here is something that you need to think about when useing the above.Donot spray the bunk boards from the axel to the back of the boat or from where your boat breaks contact with the boards to the back of boat when you are in water.This will give you a good hold on boat untill the back flotes up.
Posted By: Guide Chuck Rollins

Re: Glide on bunk pads on boat trailers. - 11/03/10 08:11 PM

That makes sense. As for aluminum one of my boats is an 18ft Lund. It never wants to slide off easily. Both my 24 skeeter and 23ft ranger unloads easier with less water. Slicks on the boards would certainly help it I would think.
Posted By: Marooned

Re: Glide on bunk pads on boat trailers. - 11/10/10 05:26 PM

I have a 16 ft. aluminum Bass Tracker boat. A few years ago I installed a set of EZ Slide Trailer Pads because the lake I was fishing was so low you couldn't back down the ramp far enough to be in a normal depth for launching. I've kept the pads on because they make launching and trailering easier. There are 2 precautions: 1. Keep the strap hooked going up and down the ramp. 2. If you use a steep ramp, you will have trouble with the wet boat sliding back down when you are putting it back on the trailer. I have had to keep the motor in forward to prevent this when I'm by myself, a practice I don't like or recommend.
Posted By: bassdreamer

Re: Glide on bunk pads on boat trailers. - 11/10/10 10:25 PM

Random thought, but I never understood guys that completely unhook their boat before they turn on the motor and make sure all is well. I always (even with my brand spankin new boat) back it in with the front strap still attached. Get in, start the motor, then unhook and back out.

Nothing more embarrassing then floating out in the middle of the lake and not get the motor started.

Re: Glide on bunk pads on boat trailers. - 11/11/10 12:20 AM

I,m sorry I did not get back to you guys.I forgot I posted this.My boat is a alumacraft pf175 2005.Thank you again.I need to get my mind off my job,and get back into fishing.
Posted By: wacopops

Re: Glide on bunk pads on boat trailers. - 11/12/10 02:56 PM

I have a 19' express- weight 1385+motor installed slick sticks,purchased @BPS.Been on for 4 yrs makes easy on and off for boat.Warning, keep bow of boat ties to tr loading or unloading.Definally recomend these.
Posted By: Marooned

Re: Glide on bunk pads on boat trailers. - 11/13/10 07:41 PM

I wanted to add something that I saw years ago on this subject. If you install trailer slide pads, you should look at the pads from time to time to see if any of the screws have "backed out" of the holes. A TFFer posted that his did and the screw head scratched the bottom of his boat. I keep a screw driver in my glove compartment and check the screws from time to time. I have found screws that need to be tightened.

Re: Glide on bunk pads on boat trailers. - 11/15/10 01:58 AM

I heard that or should i say i read that,especially if your boat is painted,thanks again fellas.
Posted By: GoArmy

Re: Glide on bunk pads on boat trailers. - 11/17/10 12:29 AM

I got my money back on the Ultimate Bunk Boards. They are a great idea but they will sand away the gelcaot and more. I started noticing white residue on the boards and looked at the hull of my boat. BAD scuffing, even if you get them wet first. I would NOT recommend them for a fiberglass boat.
Posted By: copout

Re: Glide on bunk pads on boat trailers. - 11/17/10 05:33 AM

Agree with above posts, especially about leaving it coupled to the trailer until motor is running in the water. Cheap silicone spray on the bunker carpet once a season keeps mine slicker than a dime in a cat's [censored]...the money I saved bought a couple of baits.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum