Texas Fishing Forum

Family vacation help!?!

Posted By: bassmatt

Family vacation help!?! - 06/05/04 03:31 PM

My family has been going to the same vacation spot for many years, but the people who run it are not opening this year, due to age. We are looking for a new spot. Any suggestions? I'm looking for cabins with a kitchen and bathroom, located close to water for fishing and swimming for the kids. Small water or big water, it really doesn't matter. Our last spot was on Johnson creek. I sure would appreciate any help you could give me.
Posted By: Hawg Hunter

Re: Family vacation help!?! - 06/05/04 07:48 PM

I took the family to Lake Ouachita near Hot Springs, AR last summer. It was terriffic. The fishing was so-so but the lake is the most beautiful, crystal clear lake I have ever seen. There are a few nice places to stay that rent cabins on the lake.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Family vacation help!?! - 06/06/04 01:37 AM

Finding a secluded area that you can rent on a yearly basis is getting as hard to find as a deer lease. Those kind of places are far and few between now. You might check into the many lodges and camps around the Canyon Lake area and river road area. Even if they are off away from the water you still have access by way of the many parks. Sometimes those off the lake areas are really nice and have hiking and scenic views and aren't really that far from the water. There are also some of the older camps around some of the old lakes like Medina and Lake Corpus Christi. Medina is a sleeper fishing lake and Corpus Christi (Lake Mathis) is known for almost a century as a good cat and whitebass crappie lake. It has a lot of small fishing type camps with a really nice state park.
Posted By: Bob Smith

Re: Family vacation help!?! - 06/06/04 01:50 AM

Depending on how far you want to drive, There are some nice facilities around Lake O the Pines, Bob Sandlin, Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend Resevoirs. Too many to list but if you go to www.tpwd.state.tx.us and follow the links to the Texas lake finders or the various parks there are endless places to vacation.

Good Luck and enjoy the vacation! smile

Re: Family vacation help!?! - 06/06/04 02:51 AM

thanks guys, I'll start looking into some of these!
Posted By: Texdan

Re: Family vacation help!?! - 06/06/04 01:10 PM

Bassmatt,
Check out the Turner Falls area in Oklahoma. Very pretty river that has a 77' waterfall with pool area for swimming. Lots of hiking trails too. Lots of cabins for rent, or camp sites if you want to go that route. About 2 hrs. north of Dallas. Here's and example:

http://www.turnerfallsinn.com/
Posted By: Longhorns1

Re: Family vacation help!?! - 06/06/04 11:22 PM

Inks Lake is beautiful, fun for kids, have small cabins with A/C but little more primitive than what you described. Go during the week to avoid crowds. Fishing is under-rated also. I always seem to catch a few there. Check it out! its also close to San Antone.
Posted By: RHP

Re: Family vacation help!?! - 06/07/04 04:51 AM

Lake Bastrop. Try it.
Posted By: StreakBreaker�

Re: Family vacation help!?! - 06/07/04 06:02 AM

PK State Park has cheap cabins...kinda small though but have a kitchen and swimming area. Not sure if they're the size you need.

BUT, try Daingerfield State Park! BEAUTIFUL PARK AND LAKE!! SECOND TO NONE!! They have a larger cabin for rent (really a house)! They have a great swimming area...good fishing, CLEAN bathrooms and everything! Not too far out of the way. You have to at least give them a call and a look on the internet! They're awesome laugh
Posted By: cedarcreekflash

Re: Family vacation help!?! - 06/07/04 02:19 PM

Caddo Lake in East Texas has some neat little cabins you can rent in their state park. Beautiful lake (only natural lake in Texas) and good fishing.

Re: Family vacation help!?! - 06/07/04 11:29 PM

Thanx a bunch! I HAVE HOPE!!! Wha kind of fishing is available at Daingerfield and Bastrop. Those are the closest I think.
Posted By: bass-assasin1

Re: Family vacation help!?! - 06/08/04 05:30 PM

There are nice cabins you can rent at the LBJ yacht club its not that far from San Antone, right near johnson city of 281. There is a water park for the kids there that has tube slides and a water trampoline and other various things.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum