Texas Fishing Forum

What was it?

Posted By: Sidelt67

What was it? - 07/28/03 12:13 PM

I was sitting out at the Brazos River outside of Mineral Wells a couple of nights ago. We were not fishing, just cooking out and drinking beer with some friends. This part of the river is does not move too fast, so there wasn't a lot of noise around. About midnight, I started catching a VERY strong smell of fish. I was a bit cinfused at first, but I went down to the bank and I could kind of make out a whole bunch of fish in a major feeding frenzy on the other side. The entire time they were surfacing, the smell of fish was extremely strong. It lasted about 20 minutes and then they were gone and so was the smell.

My question is, does anyone think these were sandies, or have any idea what that could have been? I just don't have any clue.
Posted By: LL

Re: What was it? - 07/28/03 02:48 PM

Probably a school of sandies that had shad for dinner. The shad oil can be smelled for 100s of yards and you can sometimes see oil slicks.
Posted By: JTMAN

Re: What was it? - 07/28/03 04:57 PM

You're right LL. It happens on the ocean as well. I've seen a "slick" after a bunch of sharks busted up a school of mullet. And the smell.....UGH!

JT
Posted By: Lovfldx

Re: What was it? - 07/29/03 01:03 PM

In the Brazos, it could have been sandies, or stripers up from lake Granbury. The smell was in all likelihood the shad that were being dined on! No mistaking their "rotting fish" stench!

Rudy
Posted By: Goat Farmer

Re: What was it? - 07/29/03 09:06 PM

If the smell was coming from the Brazos river it was probably a dead body.
Posted By: A Tracker

Re: What was it? - 07/30/03 02:25 AM

I have fished the Brazos below the dam to the bridge during the trout stocking. When the huge carp show up in the shallows they can stink up the place. Especially if you catch one and that one night we caught thirty of them 24"-30"! I think a dead body would smell sweeter! LOL

A Tracker

------------------
The Great Outdoors, Yellow Labs, Wild Turkey....Ain't Life Grand
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum