Texas Fishing Forum

Whats Good Carp Bait

Posted By: chascat

Whats Good Carp Bait - 12/14/03 07:05 PM

What is a good Carp bait for very clear-running water like in a river current.During
the winter months I wanted to straighten
some of my lines out by catching a few.
Thanks for any input. Good Day;><{{*>
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Whats Good Carp Bait - 12/14/03 08:12 PM

Heres my carp recipe-
hot dog buns (more crust on them)
big red soda
cottonseed meal

tear up the hot dog buns into small pieces,
add some cottonseed meal(handful), and then add a little red soda and start kneading until you get a nice firm ball of dough. the more you knead it the stronger it gets-
small treble hook under small cork- and if you can see them- throw to them and let drift by- the'll nail it. I would use spinning gear for the longer casts and fight!
Posted By: redfinŽ

Re: Whats Good Carp Bait - 12/14/03 08:31 PM

Wheaties, water and vanilla extract

Pour Wheaties into a bowl, sprinkle a tablespoon of vanilla extract over the flakes, immerse the flakes with water, hold hand over bowl and drain water off immediately after immersing the flakes, reach in with both hands and scoop out moist flakes and mold it into a ball (like making a snowball) while squeezing out excess water. Put it in a sandwich bag, get your fishing tackle together and head for the nearest carp hole. Pinch off enough to cover a small treble hook and cast it out (no weight). Won't be long and the battle will be a blast.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Whats Good Carp Bait - 12/14/03 09:50 PM

Shoot...Redfin that's pretty easy. I will have to try that as well.
Posted By: Fishalot

Re: Whats Good Carp Bait - 12/14/03 11:43 PM

I have seen people use corn?? just stack it on the hook
Posted By: SpinnerBaker

Re: Whats Good Carp Bait - 12/15/03 12:55 AM

Fishalot is right. I fished for carp a lot as a kid, and in spite of all the exotic recipes we tried, I never found anything else that did as well as plain canned whole kernel corn.

------------------
Bud Baker
Posted By: FISHSIF

Re: Whats Good Carp Bait - 12/15/03 01:12 AM

canned whole kernlel corn
Posted By: chascat

Re: Whats Good Carp Bait - 12/15/03 01:38 AM

I sure do thank everyone for the good info.
I intend to try everyone of them real soon.
I will also report back. Thanks again and
Good Day; ><{{*>
Posted By: TNT

Re: Whats Good Carp Bait - 12/15/03 02:16 AM

a Muzzy tip and a 65lb compound bow ! Sorry, couldn't resist - I do bowfish on occasion. And like they say about bowfishing, "When they're not biting, force feed 'em ! "
Posted By: gozzie

Re: Whats Good Carp Bait - 12/15/03 04:40 AM

W used to put Bran Flakes in a bowl and pour BIG RED on it and crush it up with the big end of a baseball bat just work with it untill you get it to where it will stick on a hook and they love it-------gozzie

[This message has been edited by gozzie (edited 12-14-2003).]
Posted By: LiveDucksforBait

Re: Whats Good Carp Bait - 12/15/03 06:39 AM

1 cup cottonseed meal, 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 cup honey or pure maple syrup, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, mix all together and add small amounts of water until mixture becomes a dough, whatever bait you use put in lots of sugar or sweet flavor to catch more carp
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Whats Good Carp Bait - 12/15/03 01:13 PM

Are the above recipes good for Grass Carp also?
Posted By: chrysops

Re: Whats Good Carp Bait - 12/15/03 03:25 PM

Don't know about grass carp. But here's a couple things about carp.
When water temp is below 60 deg. the fishing is alot slower.
Sometimes wheaties does outfish corn.
You can substitue generic bran flakes for wheaties.
Vary the amount of big red for the situation, in current, you may need a dryer, tougher mix to stay on the hook. In lakes, a softer bait gets bit more.
Posted By: Hookem

Re: Whats Good Carp Bait - 12/15/03 03:51 PM

nothing easier or better that 100% bran flakes and lake water. Add just enough water to crunch the flakes into a gooey mess.

Bait the hole out with a can of corn or dog food.

This is what we do during the day when we take a break from bass fishing and tie up to eat lunch.
Posted By: Ralph Bushell

Re: Whats Good Carp Bait - 12/16/03 12:19 PM

Hello Hi guys,

Do you'll know that Rod & Reel Bank Fisherman are coming from Around the World to fish on the bank of Town Lake, Austin Tx. for a 46+ lb. unofficial State Record Carp? The 3rd Annual "ATC" (Carp Anglers Groups, Austin Teams Championship)this coming March will have 10 European Teams of 50, other U.S.Teams several from North Texas & maybe one Team from S.A., TX. competing?

Maybe some of you guys ought to team up & join us for the competion. I read through your Bait Recipes your right On!

Tight Lines,

Ralph Bushell http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TexasCarpAndBuffaloAnglersClub/ http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/

[This message has been edited by Ralph Bushell (edited 01-30-2004).]
Posted By: Ralph Bushell

Re: Whats Good Carp Bait - 12/16/03 01:01 PM

Hi Guys & Gals,

I've started a new Yahoo Group, use to be a South Texas Carp Group. We will be discussing Baits, Tactics & Tackle, Fishing for the Carp in all Texas Lakes & Rivers. A fastly growing Sport Fish w/ a big bite, run & hold on to your rod for keepsake!

Thanks for your time,

Ralph Bushell http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TexasCarpAnglersGroup/
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum