Texas Fishing Forum

Canyon Lake Walleye?

Posted By: BillS2006

Canyon Lake Walleye? - 07/28/09 07:39 PM

Looks like TP&W put a lot of them in the lake, anyone ever caught one?
Posted By: TRex368

Re: Canyon Lake Walleye? - 07/28/09 08:02 PM

I knew they had stocked them there many years ago, but have never caught one or even heard of anyone catching one.
Posted By: slabnshad

Re: Canyon Lake Walleye? - 07/28/09 08:08 PM

I have talked with tpwd a few times on this and the lakes
in Texas, with exception of the panhandle are not good
for walleye, the reason they gave me The water does not get
cool enough for them to reproduce, they have been stocked in a
lot of lakes many years ago, but with no success.
Posted By: Starless

Re: Canyon Lake Walleye? - 07/28/09 08:09 PM

As far as I know, the only lake in all of Texas with a breeding population of Walleye is Meridith.
Posted By: shoalwater18

Re: Canyon Lake Walleye? - 07/28/09 10:13 PM

There once was a decent catchable population of walleyes. They suffered heavily from "fish survey GILL NETTING by TPWD for TPWD banquets". I was told this by a honcho from inland fisheries.
Posted By: redfin®

Re: Canyon Lake Walleye? - 07/28/09 10:17 PM

Walleye are "flow" fish - any water flowing out of the lake they are going to go with it. Squaw Creek had walleye in it but the TXU exec's have probably already decimated that population. A lot of "flow-thru" lakes in Texas - hard to keep walleye, stripers and hybrids in a lake when they over-flow or release water from the lakes.

West Virginia had trouble keeping walleye in their highland reservoirs. The winter-time walleye fishing for quantity and quality fish was much better in the rivers below the lakes they were stocked in.

TP&W stocked tiger musky, northerns and walleyes in many lakes around central Texas back in the late 70's early 80's. It's tough for a Yankee to get use to the warm summers down here very long let alone yankee fishies. Larry Ramsell is from the north and lived in the Belton area at that time. He worked with the TP&W to convince them that planting tiger musky, northern and walleye would work. Nocona Lake was one of the many lakes to receive tiger musky plantings back in 1976.

I can assure you that none are living today (shallow lakes and high water temps).
Posted By: txwhitetail

Re: Canyon Lake Walleye? - 07/28/09 10:24 PM

I have landed a few on Amistad but the last one I remember was well over 10 years ago...
Posted By: GOATBOY2211

Re: Canyon Lake Walleye? - 07/28/09 10:42 PM

I have never seen any caught on Canyon Lake or ever heard of one being caught for that matter....

Nice catfish Rex! did you catch that on in Canyon?
Posted By: TopCat Guide Service aka WhiskerRay

Re: Canyon Lake Walleye? - 07/29/09 04:03 AM

He caught it in the river above the lake...nice fish it is.

On the original note...never heard of one caught or any in their gill net surveys at Canyon Lake.
Posted By: shoalwater18

Re: Canyon Lake Walleye? - 07/29/09 04:42 AM

Some of those good ole boys over in Wimberley used to catch em pretty regular like. I've seen em and eaten them too. As for the TPWD gill netting, the guy from inland fisheries is SOLID.
Posted By: Skeeter Tim

Re: Canyon Lake Walleye? - 07/29/09 11:37 AM

Caught a smal one in Jan 89 with a Trap in the Turkey Cove area.
Posted By: TRex368

Re: Canyon Lake Walleye? - 07/29/09 01:59 PM

Goatboy2211: Yea, caught that one this past spring up in the river past Cranes Mill Park. I weighed it as soon as I got off the water and it bottomed out a 25 lb scale. I took it to the Fisherman’s Corner and they put it on a digital and it weighed 31.52 lb. I’m going back in September as soon as the side job business is over with and try to catch another even bigger one. We always catch a ton of fish up there each spring.
Posted By: McCloud

Re: Canyon Lake Walleye? - 07/29/09 05:12 PM

A fishing buddy in the boat with me caught one at least 15 (probably closer to 20 years) ago at Canyon Lake, I think on a rattletrap. He had no idea what it was, but it was definately a walleye.
Posted By: RonH

Re: Canyon Lake Walleye? - 07/29/09 08:20 PM

Reproduction in Meredith is 3% or use to be. I'll trade anybody a good walleye lake for a good striper lake any day. Not saying they aren't good to eat, just not as fun to catch
Posted By: slabnshad

Re: Canyon Lake Walleye? - 07/30/09 10:21 AM

Ron H is right Walleye is as good eating fish as anything there
is, some say the best. But in the same size range a striper or
Hybrid striper is a lot scrapier and more fun to tie into.
Posted By: Hookem

Re: Canyon Lake Walleye? - 07/30/09 07:30 PM

I caught one on Travis in the 80's that went about 2.5lbs. Caught it on a white spinnerbait fishing the windy points in Sandy.
Posted By: Starless

Re: Canyon Lake Walleye? - 07/30/09 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: slabnshad
Ron H is right Walleye is as good eating fish as anything there
is, some say the best. But in the same size range a striper or
Hybrid striper is a lot scrapier and more fun to tie into.

Agreed. I caught a crapload of walleye up north. They taste great but they can't fight out of a soggy tissue.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum