Texas Fishing Forum

Motor Guide or Minn Kota?

Posted By: bassin-assassin

Motor Guide or Minn Kota? - 04/01/03 07:46 PM

Have a motor guide 55lb having trouble with the foot pedal does anyone know if minn kota has a better foot pedal on their motors?
Posted By: Keithscatch

Re: Motor Guide or Minn Kota? - 04/01/03 08:53 PM

I prefer the foot pedal on a Minn Kota. It is bigger. The button is on the left side and I think the Motor Guide is on the right side. So that took a little while to get used too.

One thing I noticed about the Minn Kota that I don't like is the plastic assembly at the top where the steering cable runs through. I broke this at Fork a while ago while using my trolling motor. The plastic broke where the screws go in which hold down the steering cable assembly. When I saw that I couldn't believe that an engineer would draw that up like that in the first place and not see that this would be a problem.

That and the fact that the little red plastic steering indicator broke off as well. So Now I don't know the direction the motor is pointing. I got used to where the foot pedal is now but for a while it was not fun. Those are the problems I have had with the Maxxum 74lb thrust model.
Posted By: progator74

Re: Motor Guide or Minn Kota? - 04/02/03 12:50 AM

Had a Motorguide on my very first bass boat and it didn't last long. It got loosey goosey on me and was creaking all over the place.

Switched over to Minn Kota after about 2 years with that boat. That was in 1998. I have kept the same Minn Kota trolling motor through 3 boats now and although it won't last forever, I am going to have a hard time when I go to replace it. No problems, and I am very satisfied overall.

------------------

Charlie
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum