Texas Fishing Forum

History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean.....

Posted By: Dwight

History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 03/28/09 12:19 PM

I remember reading the Honey Hole magazine and watching Jerry Dean on TV. What ever happened to Jerry?

I guess the magazine is not in print, because I haven't seen it around in several years. I still watch the show on Saturday mornings with Bill.
Posted By: chuckwagon

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 03/28/09 12:39 PM

I LOVE that theme song! What better eulogy than your pic on the cover of Honey Hole Magazine!!!

Gotta love it!!

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 03/28/09 01:13 PM

My Dad and I read the magazines from cover to cover 20-25 years ago, should have kept some of them!
Posted By: FordBoy

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 03/28/09 01:20 PM

Basscat then.... Basscat now.... Basscat forever!!!!
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 03/28/09 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: dodgeboy

who_knows
Posted By: FordBoy

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 03/28/09 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike Keenan
Originally Posted By: dodgeboy

who_knows

he fished basscat boats back then.. there was a basscat commercial during every show, narrated by jerry dean, and that's what he said in the commercial..
Posted By: triton37

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 03/28/09 02:22 PM

We Fished a top 6 Honey Hole tournament many years ago on Toledo Bend. The whole top 6 all week said that Bass Cat slogan over and over and over. Good times and a lot of fun. I did a tv show with Jerry one time and really liked him and had a great time. Thanks Jerry for the memories.

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 03/28/09 03:06 PM

What is Jerry Dean doing these days?

Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 03/28/09 04:55 PM

Sharing a rocking chair with Debra (his wife).
Posted By: BassFever

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 03/28/09 06:05 PM

Didn't his wife do the underwater camera work on his show??
Posted By: got a limit Mike

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 03/28/09 06:15 PM

My son won a honey hole kids derby at

in Ft Worth and recieved a huge trophy and was on

TV for winning his age group , his pic was but in

the magazine which I saved for him as a keep sake ,

we recorded the airing of the show of the kids

derby and he has that to
Posted By: Big Brown Bass

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 03/29/09 07:58 PM

Jerry And Deb did a lot of good stuff for the fishing community in Texas during their run on Honey Hole.

I've still got 3-4 yrs worth of the mags.....I used to live by the lake reports in each edition.

I think David Wharton did the Sam Rayburn report for HH, now he's gone too......
Posted By: Shayne Ward

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 03/29/09 11:40 PM

Jerry lives right down the road from me. I dont thnk he even has a boat anymore. I havent seen a boat in front of his house for several years. He lives in Westworth Village next to the fire station.
Posted By: PGR Mike

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 03/30/09 01:57 AM

I've got the Honey Hole Mag with Ray Scott on the cover. I took it to the classic one year, and he signed it!
Posted By: K.D.

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 03/30/09 02:04 AM

Someone told me Jerry Dean opened an archery shop. I don't know how accurate that is.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 03/30/09 02:05 AM

I really miss Jerry and Honey Hole Magazine, they were a class act, my only claim to fame is that my cousin was on the cover !
Posted By: CTA

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 03/30/09 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: K.D.
Someone told me Jerry Dean opened an archery shop. I don't know how accurate that is.

I heard the same thing, along with a shooting range. If I remember right it's suppose to be west of Ft.Worth.
Posted By: Hookem

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 03/30/09 01:56 PM

Got to meet him at the launch on Lake Georgetown after a day of fishing. They were out filming an upcoming show and we had seen them running the small lake all day. There were only 2 boats that day, his and ours.

While at the ramp, he walked up to ask how we did. We didn't do too bad that day. He said that they had come there to mainly target smallmouth. We had caught a couple up river along with quite a few largies. My buddy, who didn't realize who it was, mentioned something along the lines of, you should've hired a guide. Little did he know, he had hired a guide who was standing near the boat. They caught zip.

They said they were going to keep the film in the can. GT can be that kind of lake.

Posted By: McCloud

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 03/30/09 05:47 PM

Shayne, why don't you ask Jerry to come on the TFF and tell us about himself and Debra these days? I know a LOT of people would like to hear from them!
Posted By: hsif47

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 03/06/10 02:18 AM

I herd the Jerry Dean Died in January of 2010. The present host of Honey Hole Mag. show was the one who passed on the information. He was my age, born in 1947 is why I took note of it. Sorry for the news

Posted By: Skeeter50

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 03/06/10 04:37 AM

I heard the same thing....... that Jerry had passed away.
Posted By: Skeeter50

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 03/06/10 04:46 AM

Originally Posted By: hsif47
I herd the Jerry Dean Died in January of 2010. The present host of Honey Hole Mag. show was the one who passed on the information. He was my age, born in 1947 is why I took note of it. Sorry for the news

Maybe this isn't right but .........

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1262792553

Jerry Dean (Honey Hole Circuit/Magazine/TV) Passes Away

Jan 6th, 2010 at 10:42am

Jerry died Monday night after a long bout with cancer. He ran the Honey Hole Bass club circuit and had the Honey Hole TV show shown for many years.

He was one of the leading pioneers of Texas bass fishing as well as a well known guide. He will be missed.

Prayers to his wife Debra and the rest of the family.
Posted By: its a fluke

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 03/06/10 05:40 AM

Guys Jerry Dean's picture was on the front page of tff with a memorial for about two months until the pike thats on there now replaced it.

There are lots of threads in "bass fishing" about honey hole and Jerry. Bill wilcox did a memeorial show about a month ago with Jerry fishing with rick clunn on conroe (where he was a guide), mark pack and many others... its was great!

I miss him
Posted By: labdog

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 03/08/10 12:20 AM

There are some old Honey Hole TV shows with Jerry Dean on You Tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iS4qYRMhxY
Posted By: kingdad101

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 03/08/10 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: its a fluke
Guys Jerry Dean's picture was on the front page of tff with a memorial for about two months until the pike thats on there now replaced it.

There are lots of threads in "bass fishing" about honey hole and Jerry. Bill wilcox did a memeorial show about a month ago with Jerry fishing with rick clunn on conroe (where he was a guide), mark pack and many others... its was great!

I miss him

..right...
Posted By: Paparon

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 11/03/11 05:36 PM

Stumbled across this thread doing a Dogpile search for Honey Hole magazine. Just did a post about how many lakes I've taken my boat to since I got it 2 years ago and got to thinking about the Honey Hole theme song. Like so much other printed media, the internet has changed how we get our information. I haven't fished "all over Texas", but if Jerry and the magazine were still around it would sure be nice if he could see fit to "put me on the cover of Honey Hole Magazine".

I still like watching Honey Hole but I started watching it when the show when it first started and I miss Jerry too!

Posted By: TBassYates

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 11/04/11 02:28 AM

The gentleman who sings that theme song was at the Legends Boat tournament on Fork last year playing with his band. Sure was good to hear that old song in person and brought back a lot of memories about the television show, magazine and tournaments.

Posted By: 361V

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 11/04/11 12:41 PM

Small world. Used to work out at a gym in the early/mid eightys in Grand Prairie with Wade Hatton who wrote/sung the Honey Hole theme song. He has a pretty good band still today: Wade Hatton and the Texas Hat Band. Popular Texas band. Also met a guide on Monticello in the early 80's who seemed kind of "hillbilly" and fished out of an old stick steering bassboat. Saw this same man on TV a couple years later...Jerry Dean and Honey Hole.

Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 11/04/11 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: TBassYates
The gentleman who sings that theme song was at the Legends Boat tournament on Fork last year playing with his band. Sure was good to hear that old song in person and brought back a lot of memories about the television show, magazine and tournaments.

I'm right with ya on that Tommy, it was.. I always enjoyed the show, I used to kid him about talking to much and not enough fishing.. LOL
Jerry was a good person all way round, Deb too.

Posted By: TBassYates

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 11/04/11 06:15 PM

Here's a story I would like to pass along.
Jerry and Debra Dean are in the Honey Hole booth at a boat and tackle show many years ago. I was standing there when a young couple walks up. Straping young guy in his early 20's with wide open eye's ready to talk fishing. Real good looking girlfriend by his side looking really bored with the whole thing. Guy starts rambling on with Jerry when the girlfriend looks at Debra and say's "Can you believe all of this excitement over something as dumb as going fishing. What could they really be doing all of that time away from home. I think it is just a cover up for something else going on!" Deb looks her in the eye's and say's "Honey there is one thing I can guarantee you. When my man say's he is going fishing, I don't have to worry about anything because that is exactly what he is going to be doing. I only get mad if I am not being able to go and spend that time fishing also. Fishing is not a hobby or excuse, it is a lifestyle and Thank God I am part of that because it is the best people I know of." The girlfriend grabs her boyfriend by the arm, and walks off with a puzzled frown on her face. Then the "allright" shout among those standing around and a few high five's. Great moment to be an outdoors person and Debra Dean told it like it was.
Just wanted to share this with everyone. Great memory.

Posted By: Bassinfool

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 11/04/11 06:45 PM

Great Magazine and I paid for a 3 year subscription then they went out of business and I did not get a refund.

Posted By: T.C.

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 11/06/11 03:02 PM

Deb never was or will be accused of not speaking her mind! (its a given that Jerry spoke his)

Real good folks. Did a lot for bass fishing in TX.

Posted By: Fishbreeder

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 11/06/11 03:33 PM

Jerry Dean was a class act and Great American. I knew him long before "Honey Hole" here is a true story of a day I spent with him in Ft. Worth many years ago.....

A buddy of mine, Mike Wood and I had come up from Danbury (where we had helped establish a bass fishing club known as "The Lakes of Danbury," for the Zwahr family) to see Jerry and talk about a deal he was working on.

At a particular time that afternoon we went to an overlook with a magnificent view of the tarmac at then open Carswell AFB. Quick as anything, in a few minutes at least forty or fifty huge B-52 aircraft, strategic bombers, appeared from underground as if from nowhere. They all were started up and the engines throttled up to create a caucaphony we could hear even several miles away. You could see waves of heat coming off them as the engines screamed.

A bit confused as to what we were witnessing I asked Jerry, "What is all this?" He told me that right now, up in space, a Russian satellite was passing overhead and looking down with infrared sensors. It was seeing all these loaded up and ready to go strategic bombers all warmed up and in full operational condition.

To which I asked him, "How does that make you feel, Jerry Dean?"

He told me, "It makes me feel goooooood."

Posted By: B Lee

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 11/08/11 01:59 PM

Yep Jerry was a funny guy. I remember the first time I ever talked to him and found out what a small world it was it seems Jerry worked for my dad years ago at GD. After that we seem to hit it off. I actually got to fish 2 TV shows one on Granbury and the other on Leon... Great memories

Posted By: Paparon

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 11/08/11 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishbreeder
...the engines throttled up to create a caucaphony we could hear even several miles away...

Cacophony... now that's a good word! And I bet Jerry is looking down not feeling near as good for us as he did then, given what is currently happening with our defense strategy.

Posted By: "Old School"

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 11/10/11 12:35 AM

Loved the magazine. I also re-newed my subscription just before they stopped the publication. I loved the articles on lakes in the area that I live.

Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 11/10/11 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: T.C.
Deb never was or will be accused of not speaking her mind!

Ain't that the truth. laugh I got along with Deb well, but haven't seen or talked to her in a number of years.

Posted By: Findanothername1

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 10/14/13 06:49 AM

what
Posted By: rossicraig

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 10/27/13 11:06 PM

awesome
Posted By: Mike Harper

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 08/31/21 08:57 PM

i would love a copy of that song by Wade Hatton "Put me on the cover of Honey Hole Magazine" I cant find it anywhere.
Posted By: J2H1

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 08/31/21 10:49 PM

Jerry died several years ago.
Posted By: 361V

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 09/02/21 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by J2H1

The reason these guys ^^^^^ didn’t know Jerry passed away was because he’d hadn’t. You are posting on a 12 year old thread. 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️😀
Originally Posted by Mike Harper
i would love a copy of that song by Wade Hatton "Put me on the cover of Honey Hole Magazine" I cant find it anywhere.

Mr Harper, I knew Wade Hatton several decades ago. He actually had an album “Texas Fishing Songs” with the Honey Hole Song “Put Me On The Cover” on it about 20 years ago. His band “Wade Hatton And The Texas Hat Band” got kinda big(relative term) and had several albums and toured around for decades. They were still playing just a few years ago….might be still. I’ll bet if search for his fishing tunes album you can find one. Great memories! https://www.discogs.com/Wade-Hatton-Fishin-Music-From-Texas/release/17019453
Posted By: Dubee

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 09/02/21 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by 361V
Originally Posted by J2H1

The reason these guys ^^^^^ didn’t know Jerry passed away was because he’d hadn’t. You are posting on a 12 year old thread. 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️😀
Originally Posted by Mike Harper

Mr Harper, I knew Wade Hatton several decades ago. He actually had an album “Texas Fishing Songs” with the Honey Hole Song “Put Me On The Cover” on it about 20 years ago. His band “Wade Hatton And The Texas Hat Band” got kinda big(relative term) and had several albums and toured around for decades. They were still playing just a few years ago….might be still. I’ll bet if search for his fishing tunes album you can find one. Great memories! https://www.discogs.com/Wade-Hatton-Fishin-Music-From-Texas/release/17019453

Wade is still playing. He played at Del Norte here in Godley a few months ago.
Posted By: Mark Cooper

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 09/04/21 02:59 PM

In the late 90's, he was working in a gun store on 28th street. I bought a Ruger MK 1 they had, and he told me that it was his pistol. Still have it, but no proof to my story.
Posted By: teamron

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 09/06/21 02:48 AM

I remember talking to Jerry briefly at Jim Murry's funeral back in 03 or 04, can't remember the the date. I was giving him a hard time about peddling his Magazines out of the back of his truck in the early to mid 80's. I first met him at Bassmaster Pro shop in Richland hills dropping off his magazines. Neat guy, used to see him a bunch in the smaller shops. Those days and guys are gone.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 09/08/21 01:07 AM

Still have and look at the maps for certain lakes. Some of the marked spots still produce after all these years.
Posted By: Justmike

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 09/09/21 07:46 PM

Lucky enuf to win a honey hole. Tournament on Fork in 89 or 90, Fun times
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 09/10/21 07:45 PM

[Linked Image]

Pretty sure I have this album sitting in deep in a closet somewhere. Now I'm going to have to dig it out! I honestly never even listened to the whole thing. Fishing songs aren't always the best tunes.... roflmao
Posted By: jcartwheel

Re: History of Honey Hole magazine and Jerry Dean..... - 10/10/21 09:26 PM

Honey Hole was awesome. I have magazines from the last 3 years of existence and several 'Honey Hole' window stickers. Our Club was associated with Honey Hole and we always sent our top 6 anglers to the Top 6 Tournament every year and the last one was on Lake Amistad. I also have one of the 'Honey Hole' guide books of Lake Cypress, Bob Sandlin, and Monticello published in 1992 and several of the spots still produce quality fish too. Great memories!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum