Texas Fishing Forum

Do you get dizzy after fishing from your boat?

Posted By: Kolban

Do you get dizzy after fishing from your boat? - 05/27/08 12:45 AM

Guys,
Odd question ... but Ive spent the last two weekends fishing for about 5 hours a day on both sat/sun. I find that at the end of the two days I am "dizzy". It feels like I am still "rocking" in the boat. I am not alarmed as it goes away after a day or so but I just curious to know if I am alone in this symptom or is this common?

Neil
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Do you get dizzy after fishing from your boat? - 05/27/08 12:50 AM

The only times it's ever happened to me are the days I've not drank enough liquid and gotten dehydrated and/or over heated. It has seemed to go along with head aches I used to get on the water. By limiting caffeine and drinking plenty of liquids neither has been as issue for many years now.

I've never had it happen in the cooler months of the year.
Posted By: james lee

Re: Do you get dizzy after fishing from your boat? - 05/27/08 12:54 AM

I call it having sea legs, usually after fishing 8 hrs or so riding the trolling motor trying to stay balanced, i usually feel like i still on the boat.
Posted By: fishinfoo

Re: Do you get dizzy after fishing from your boat? - 05/27/08 01:07 AM

do you wear sunglasses on the lake because if not I use to not wear sunglasses on the lake because I had prescription glasses and I always felt a little weird after getting off of the lake
Posted By: TXAGGRAD94

Re: Do you get dizzy after fishing from your boat? - 05/27/08 01:26 AM

I know what you are talking about. I wouldn't say I am dizzy at all, but a little out of sorts. Thought it was just me, but I have talked to a few of my friends that spend a lot of time on the water fishing tournaments, etc... They all say they feel the same way after spending a few hours on the water.
Posted By: whitecapping

Re: Do you get dizzy after fishing from your boat? - 05/27/08 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: K.D.
The only times it's ever happened to me are the days I've not drank enough liquid and gotten dehydrated and/or over heated. It has seemed to go along with head aches I used to get on the water. By limiting caffeine and drinking plenty of liquids neither has been as issue for many years now.

Same here.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Do you get dizzy after fishing from your boat? - 05/27/08 02:49 AM

That happens to me after a long, bumpy day on the water ... inner ear still says you're on a moving boat.
Posted By: lawmann

Re: Do you get dizzy after fishing from your boat? - 05/27/08 05:47 AM

This is very common while bowfishing as you are looking in the lights rather than out toward the horizon. It takes a few minutes to get adjusted and a few more when I get off the boat.
Posted By: throwback

Re: Do you get dizzy after fishing from your boat? - 05/27/08 07:22 AM

"Sea legs" is the correct term. It's the bodies natural response to unnatural movement experienced on the deck of a boat. It's the inner ear signaling the body to stay upright. Without the reaction you would probably become nauseated (sea sick).
Posted By: gclark

Re: Do you get dizzy after fishing from your boat? - 05/27/08 09:05 AM

This is normal, especially if you have spent the day on choppy or rough water. Your inner ear is like a gyro that is responsible for balance. It will adjust slowly over time to compensate for movement to keep your balance. That is why it takes a while to get your sea legs the first time you go out in the ocean. The same is true when coming back to dry land after being on the ocean for extended periods. When I was in the Navy, we would all walk funny down the pier after being at sea for months at a time. Looked like we were all drunk. We were exposed to the rolling motion of the ship for so long, our inner ear had compensated to the point of even making us walk at angles back and forth. We didn't even realize we were doing it on board ship, but it was very obvious when we stepped on dry land. Dry land actually felt strange to us. You are experiencing the same thing on a much smaller scale. The feeling you are having is your inner ear still trying to compensate for the rocking motion of your boat. It will go away after a few hours more or less depending on how long you were in the rocking environment, the severity of it, and your body. Absolutely a normal feeling and nothing at all to worry about. It is a mild form of motion sickness.
Posted By: Bob Smith

Re: Do you get dizzy after fishing from your boat? - 05/27/08 09:15 AM

LOL! I spent two years on board an old WW II Fram I Destroyer! That sucker rolled in calm seas! After several weeks at sea it was downright hilarious seeing all of your buddies (and knowing you were doing the same) walking down the pier! thumb
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Do you get dizzy after fishing from your boat? - 05/27/08 11:53 AM

i don't have that problem from a boat but I get dizzinf after walking a boat dock and crappie fishing it
Posted By: stinger13

Re: Do you get dizzy after fishing from your boat? - 05/27/08 12:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob Smith
LOL! I spent two years on board an old WW II Fram I Destroyer! That sucker rolled in calm seas! After several weeks at sea it was downright hilarious seeing all of your buddies (and knowing you were doing the same) walking down the pier! thumb

I know exactly what you mean. I spent many years on minesweepers. Walking on liberty was a blast!!
Posted By: kelkay

Re: Do you get dizzy after fishing from your boat? - 05/27/08 02:01 PM

If you are dizzy ON the boat...it is motion sickness/inner ear...and can make you sick even after you get off the boat. Now if the dizziness is only after you get off the boat...I would call that "sea legs". I was in the navy...thank goodness a very large boat, otherwise I get motion sickness pretty bad. If you find it to be a problem, try taking some dramimine, it will help you!! (they even make it in chewable form) My daughter must take the med before she goes tubing, or she gets very ill.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Do you get dizzy after fishing from your boat? - 05/27/08 10:37 PM

Your Equilibrium is still out of sink. Lot of times, after a full day of fishing in rock rough waves, I will find myself in bed that night or when I am standing still, feeling like I am still rocking. Seems like it happens more when I have sinus problems which will affect the Equilibrium.
Posted By: Lil' Louie

Re: Do you get dizzy after fishing from your boat? - 05/28/08 01:16 AM

Everytime its rough I feel like I'm still on the boat when I get out. I think its normal.
Posted By: adam_p

Re: Do you get dizzy after fishing from your boat? - 05/28/08 02:14 AM

Only time I have had was after being on a cruise ship for a week in fairly rough seas. Took a couple days to go away once I got back on land.

We figured out, or so we thought, that if you got pretty inebriated, your stumbling would counter the rocking of the boat. None of us ever fell down. Something to think about if you ever go on a "floating nursing home" aka Cruise ship.
Posted By: jwcromer

Re: Do you get dizzy after fishing from your boat? - 05/28/08 02:10 PM

I get dizzy when I fill the gas tank
Posted By: FroggerZack

Re: Do you get dizzy after fishing from your boat? - 05/28/08 02:49 PM

You should go on an 14 hr overnight offshore fishing trip in rough seas (5-8 ft waves). Took a couple of days to get over that one but it was fun!
Posted By: Yassir Sanchez

Re: Do you get dizzy after fishing from your boat? - 05/28/08 04:07 PM

ditto the dehydration answers.
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Do you get dizzy after fishing from your boat? - 05/28/08 06:42 PM

Very common, Inner ear .
Sea legs.
Posted By: brokenjeep

Re: Do you get dizzy after fishing from your boat? - 05/28/08 07:58 PM

I was on a cruise for a couple of days ,when I got off after about 15 minutes I was sick and could hardly stand ,I didn't feel right until I got on the rough riding bus heading into the forest.
Posted By: petro

Re: Do you get dizzy after fishing from your boat? - 05/28/08 08:03 PM

Never have. Land is land and water is water. But other people have said this to me.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum