Texas Fishing Forum

Transference of Bait Fish

Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Transference of Bait Fish - 04/02/08 03:02 PM

I wondered if there would be impact if I took shad from Mountain Creek and used them as cut bait in another lake.

Parks and Wildlife has a consumption ban on fish out of Mountain Creek...but it use to be a great place to catch shad.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Posted By: Dr. Chase

Re: Trasference of Bait Fish - 04/02/08 04:52 PM

i wouldnt do it, better safe than sorry. it could possibley transfer toxins into the lake that use the bait in, but i'm no biologist.

"is anybody here a marine biologist??!!"
-somebody off sienfeld-cant remeber who.

Re: Trasference of Bait Fish - 04/02/08 05:16 PM

yea...that is why I haven't done it. But, I wanted to get the skinny on it...
Posted By: Dr. Chase

Re: Trasference of Bait Fish - 04/02/08 05:27 PM

nice boats dude.
Posted By: David Lee

Re: Trasference of Bait Fish - 04/02/08 07:11 PM

I believe it is illegal. I would send the TP&W a e-mail and get a straight answer though.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Trasference of Bait Fish - 04/03/08 02:25 PM

A common practice by fishermen and has been for years. Lots of fishermen bring bait sunfish, shad, and etc. with them,its legal.

Re: Trasference of Bait Fish - 04/03/08 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: jackieblue
A common practice by fishermen and has been for years. Lots of fishermen bring bait sunfish, shad, and etc. with them,its legal.

yea, even I typically bring bait w/ me from other lakes. However, my concern is that bringing shad from a lake that is contaminated might be a problem on the lake of destination....or NOT....???

I'll email this thread to the parks and wildlife and see what they say.
Posted By: Kat-man-do

Re: Trasference of Bait Fish - 04/04/08 05:31 AM

I would think that as long as you don't catch fish in one lake and release them in another, you should be fine. Who knows where the shad comes from that you can buy frozen, or where the ingredients from some of the prepared baits come from? It's a bait. Just don't eat more than a couple pounds of it. laugh
Posted By: lawmann

Re: Trasference of Bait Fish - 04/04/08 09:37 AM

This is word for word from the TP&W Outdoor Annual. "The possession of ALL SPECIES of fish and crabs is prohibited from the following areas. Catch and release of fish and crabs from these areas is lawful".

MOUNTAIN CREEK LAKE IN DALLAS COUNTY.

Re: Trasference of Bait Fish - 04/04/08 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: lawmann
This is word for word from the TP&W Outdoor Annual. "The possession of ALL SPECIES of fish and crabs is prohibited from the following areas. Catch and release of fish and crabs from these areas is lawful".

MOUNTAIN CREEK LAKE IN DALLAS COUNTY.

If i'm reading this right, this would include the population of bait fish including SHAD....right? Therefore it would mean that you cannot transfer shad (alive or dead) from Mountain Creek because it's on the conatminated list. Right?
Posted By: bbass

Re: Transference of Bait Fish - 04/04/08 09:06 PM

I was raised on the shores of Mountain Creek Lake. I have caught and eaten catfish ,crappy ,and bass from it all my lfe.I don't glow at nite but who knows what the Navy,LTV, and the power plant have discarded in it.Years ago the Texas WildLife Dept.said there were more fish per acre in MC than any other lake in Texas.It has fresh water shrimp,red horse minnows,shad, and gost minnows.
You could get your arm jerked off along the run way this time of the year.
If the city bof Dallas let people pay to launch at the old navy base I would be fishing it tomorrow morning.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum