Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Buchanan?

Posted By: WhiteBassFan

Lake Buchanan? - 12/23/22 06:31 PM

My family and I are going to lake Buchanan next week for 4 days and staying on the lake. Never been there before, so any fishing tips or safety tips would be appreciated. We’re going to be on the south end of the lake. Can fish for whites/stripers, crappie or catfish. Just would like to catch a few.
Posted By: rebait

Re: Lake Buchanan? - 12/23/22 09:14 PM

Haven't been on the Lake for a bit so I will not give any fishing tips; however, the Lake is 17' low and is full of big rocks and Islands that are normally covered. I hope you have a good map card and be careful around anything it shows lass than 25' deep.
Good Luck
Posted By: Les Ems

Re: Lake Buchanan? - 12/24/22 12:27 PM

That lake can get very wicked with the wind, so be careful if it is blowing.
Posted By: quisdraw

Re: Lake Buchanan? - 12/24/22 01:11 PM

PM Sent
Posted By: WhiteBassFan

Re: Lake Buchanan? - 12/24/22 01:12 PM

I appreciate the help. I do have a navionics chip for the lake. Hopefully the winds will stay down. We have a 22 foot center console so as long as it’s not too bad. Just want us to be safe though.
Posted By: rebait

Re: Lake Buchanan? - 12/24/22 02:38 PM

22' is a great size for Buchanan. Thats what I have now and it handles the lake much better than the 19' I used to own.
Have fun.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Lake Buchanan? - 12/26/22 12:26 AM

Didn't realize Buch was that low now. Are any of the ramps closed from low water?
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Lake Buchanan? - 12/28/22 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by fivebites
Didn't realize Buch was that low now. Are any of the ramps closed from low water?

You can Google open ramps. I normally launch on the north end. Llano County shows open to 1003 which is about the current elevation. Burnet County is open to 993 but on the north end and not protected from south wind. I like Thunderbird by the bike park but looking at Google satellite it appears to be out of the water. I only fish Buchanan in May and June so can't help you with tips. I would think the upper end of the lake is best. At the current level you have to make sure to stay in the channel. There are channel marker bouys up there but spaced kind of far apart. You might call Buchanan RV Park formerly Big Chief. They are near the dam and have a good ramp. It is private and charge a fee. You might also look at the LCRA ramp near Tow on NW side but I am thinking it is not usable.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum