Texas Fishing Forum

Jon boat friendly lakes in Texas

Posted By: 30 Pack

Jon boat friendly lakes in Texas - 11/06/22 02:25 PM

So I am finally at the point in my career where I am about to get 5 weeks of vacation a year, and have 3 day weekends. I like to fish out of my jon boat because of it's simplicity, and my top 3 fish would be white bass, crappie, and catfish.

My plan is to make a trip about every other weekend to camp / fish different lakes. I would leave out Thursdays around noon, camp either in my truck camper or tent, fish all day Friday, camp again Friday night and head back Saturday.

I want to stay East of Austin, and South of Dallas- mostly. Maybe some West Louisianna a little bit, too.

Looking for lakes where the water conditions are generally always suitable for a smaller boat. I normally just fish around lake Houston and it's creeks. But I need to branch out and see Texas- I've only fished Houston, Conroe, Livingston, and Rayburn for the last 25 years, but sometimes feel like I want to catch a break from the big water.

What lakes or rivers would be your top 3 for small craft fishing?

Posted By: McFish51

Re: Jon boat friendly lakes in Texas - 11/06/22 09:37 PM

Several lakes around Nacodoches. Tyler lakes, Gilmer, Hawkins, Timpson, Murvaul, Kurth. I fish a 12 ft cartop pram. Even big lakes often have multiple arms where you can find sheltered water; I fished lake of the Pines in 25mph wind but found miles of sheltered shoreline
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Jon boat friendly lakes in Texas - 11/07/22 12:41 AM

I will fish any of the lakes in my 14’ Jon boat. The key for me is the wind. I will only go if it is less than12 mph. I only have a trolling motor on the boat so with 2 batteries I have about a 7 mile round trip range.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Jon boat friendly lakes in Texas - 11/07/22 01:19 AM

Have you been over and fished the Trinity river? An awesome fishery and wind would not be an issue. There are oxbow and cuts and creeks off of it north of IH 10. I used to live near there and loved fishing that place. All the fish your looking for plus Bass.
Posted By: JWfish

Re: Jon boat friendly lakes in Texas - 11/07/22 12:23 PM

Check out Purtis Creek State Park near Eustace. It is a great, no wake lake with camping spots. Decent bass and huge crappie.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Jon boat friendly lakes in Texas - 11/07/22 11:36 PM

I you are ever in the Lake Fork area, Holbrook, Quitman, Welch, are good places, in the Mount Pleasant area lots of folks are launching kayaks on thre north end of Monticello at a bridge so you could do the same with a jon boat. Most of these are known as largmouth bass lakes but they all are loaded with other species as well. Holbrook is a really good crappie lake.
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Jon boat friendly lakes in Texas - 11/08/22 01:04 AM

What size is your Jon boat? I have a 1656 and modified the deck to fit a pop up tent. We camp right on the boat. The tent takes 2 seconds to set up we have an inflatable mattresses and also carry battery operated fans for summer camping. We have tents for each season.
[Linked Image]
This one is for winter it is waterproof and windproof.
[Linked Image]

This one for fall
[Linked Image]

We also use a military mosquito bar during the hot summer months
[Linked Image]
And those perfect spring nights when sleeping under the stars is best .
We mainly fish/camp on rivers but also camp on Amistad where it's always windy but we can always find a protected cove
Posted By: ggoytia

Re: Jon boat friendly lakes in Texas - 11/09/22 06:35 AM

Gar1970.
That is a great idea.
Thanks for posting
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Jon boat friendly lakes in Texas - 11/09/22 02:22 PM

Those pics are awesome.
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Jon boat friendly lakes in Texas - 11/09/22 06:55 PM

https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...ishing-camping-part-2-added#Post14508656 we also fish camp out our 12 ft Jon boat but since it's smaller we just camp on the bank thumb
Posted By: trapperben

Re: Jon boat friendly lakes in Texas - 11/09/22 08:47 PM

Gar and PL should be the poster couple for TFF, they have their stuff together!
Posted By: fishr3

Re: Jon boat friendly lakes in Texas - 11/23/22 08:44 PM

Yegua Creek on Lake Somerville would be my first choice for crappie and white bass, but it may need a good rainfall before you can get your boat up the creek from Nails Creek park. Bedias Creek and Nelson Creek are two more great white bass fishing streams provided they have adequate rainfall and flow. You could camp at Huntsville State Park. In East Texas you've got the Angelina river and Sabine river with great white bass spawning runs. Caddo Lake state park would be a great base camp where you have direct access to Big Cypress Bayou and a short boat ride to Caddo Lake. Plenty of catfish and crappie in Lake o the Pines with multiple parks for camping.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Jon boat friendly lakes in Texas - 11/28/22 07:57 PM

Decker lake just east of Austin
Lake Raven, Huntsville
Fairfield (if it’s not a strong north or south wind)
Posted By: wabash2015

Re: Jon boat friendly lakes in Texas - 12/01/22 01:44 AM

If you want a day trip, Lake Pat Cleburne is awesome when the water is high enough to use the ramp.
Posted By: outdoor-addict

Re: Jon boat friendly lakes in Texas - 12/01/22 03:29 PM

Houston County outside of Crockett TX
Posted By: Grasshopperglock

Re: Jon boat friendly lakes in Texas - 12/01/22 03:37 PM

Shout out to who ever was in the silver Jon boat near Belton dam.

Respect for trolling a wide curve around me. Staying quiet. Not asking me anything. Just fishing while respecting your fellow fishermen on the bank.

To the two guys that thought it was cute to toss their crankbait so close to me. I could fill the drops off the splash...You get to do that once. Free bee.
Posted By: cva34

Re: Jon boat friendly lakes in Texas - 12/27/22 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by ggoytia
Gar1970.
That is a great idea.
Thanks for posting

Cool Ideas
Posted By: N. D. L.

Re: Jon boat friendly lakes in Texas - 01/16/23 12:31 AM

I fished Lake Bastrop with my friends on a jon boat. I think its a friendly jon boat lake
Posted By: Boudreaux

Re: Jon boat friendly lakes in Texas - 02/06/23 06:26 PM

Highly recommend the boat access only camp sites on the Angelina river above Dam B.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Jon boat friendly lakes in Texas - 02/06/23 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by trapperben
Gar and PL should be the poster couple for TFF, they have their stuff together!

They are,..living the dream !!! I could never get my wife to sleep out under the stars. No way !!!
Plus the make The Best Crappie Jigs I have ever used...see their site ...www.jiglyf.com
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum