Texas Fishing Forum

Filet Knife Sharpener

Posted By: Gerald Mactee

Filet Knife Sharpener - 10/28/22 04:55 PM

What's a good filet knife sharpener?
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Filet Knife Sharpener - 10/28/22 05:48 PM

I use a Work Sharp electric knife sharpener.
I will go thru one of these about every 3 years, but I keep a lot of knives sharp as a razor, fillet, kitchen, deer cleaning[Linked Image]
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Filet Knife Sharpener - 10/30/22 12:35 PM

I use one of these. Far superior to what comes with the knife.

https://smile.amazon.com/Rada-Cutlery-Quick-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B001692XPE/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=K3XEBN5D17W&keywords=rada+knife+sharpener&qid=1667133249&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjU0IiwicXNhIjoiMi4xOCIsInFzcCI6IjIuMTgifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=rada%2Caps%2C131&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A3SI3W4LIFZ02X
Posted By: bassnman

Re: Filet Knife Sharpener - 10/30/22 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by PKfishin
I use one of these. Far superior to what comes with the knife.

https://smile.amazon.com/Rada-Cutlery-Quick-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B001692XPE/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=K3XEBN5D17W&keywords=rada+knife+sharpener&qid=1667133249&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjU0IiwicXNhIjoiMi4xOCIsInFzcCI6IjIuMTgifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=rada%2Caps%2C131&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A3SI3W4LIFZ02X

I dont even need a sharpener but I bought one of these to try it. Even a couple bucks cheaper on eBay.
Posted By: ifishlbj

Re: Filet Knife Sharpener - 10/31/22 12:50 AM

[Linked Image]
This is the RADA SHARPENER. I keep one in the house and one in the boat. Works pretty darn good. Guaranteed for life and made in the USA.
Posted By: gborg

Re: Filet Knife Sharpener - 10/31/22 12:28 PM

Does the Rada sharpen serrated blades ?

Re: Filet Knife Sharpener - 10/31/22 03:22 PM

From their web site: A few quick passes through our sharpener and your non-serrated Rada blades will be as sharp as the day you bought them. Your knives will thank you.[u][/u]
Posted By: ifishlbj

Re: Filet Knife Sharpener - 10/31/22 03:42 PM

No
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Filet Knife Sharpener - 10/31/22 09:15 PM

A Brock is what I use on serrated knife blades
Posted By: gborg

Re: Filet Knife Sharpener - 11/01/22 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by jackiekennedyfishingguide
A Brock is what I use on serrated knife blades

Block ??

Re: Filet Knife Sharpener - 11/01/22 03:14 PM

Broc doesn't make a sharpener but Block does.
Posted By: K5RCD

Re: Filet Knife Sharpener - 11/01/22 05:08 PM

I use the RADA for non serrated fillet knife blades, and the EDGEMAKER PRO 331 for serrated blades. It does a quick job of sharpening and makes the edge wickedly sharp. Just follow the simple directions.

EDGEMAKER PRO 331
Posted By: trapperben

Re: Filet Knife Sharpener - 11/01/22 10:12 PM

I carry the Edgemaker in my hunting backpack, I think it does a decent job on all blades.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Filet Knife Sharpener - 11/02/22 06:29 PM

great thread

would the serrated edge sharpeners work on Cutco knives
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Filet Knife Sharpener - 11/02/22 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by butch sanders
great thread

would the serrated edge sharpeners work on Cutco knives

Why would you do that?

Send them back to Cutco for their lifetime sharpening. Do this every other year. Very easy process. Relatively cheap as well. I think I may have paid $10 in total each time.

Log into site, create your shipment back, ship to cutco, receive back razor sharp

https://www.cutco.com/customer/sharpening.jsp
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Filet Knife Sharpener - 11/02/22 06:52 PM

i hate sending stuff off
but yes you are right

thanks for the link
Posted By: Unclebubba

Re: Filet Knife Sharpener - 11/02/22 07:42 PM

Best kept secret for sharpening a knife
Posted By: Jeff Rachall

Re: Filet Knife Sharpener - 11/11/22 04:16 PM

Had a RADA for years. Still works well!!
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Filet Knife Sharpener - 11/12/22 12:39 PM

I’m a knife collector and I cringe every time I see people using sharpeners like the RADA. They absolutely ruin the edge. I would never do that to any of my knives. It doesn’t sharpen a knife in the traditional sense. All it does is scrape off a layer of steel into a V shape.

But if its a cheap knife and you just want it “sharp” enough to cut, then they are fine.
Posted By: split cane rod

Re: Filet Knife Sharpener - 11/15/22 01:51 AM

One of my first part-time jobs when I was in high school was working at a BBQ restaurant. The owner was meticulous about sharpening his knives. He taught me how to hold the angle when I sharpened his knives. One of the best things I ever learned was how to properly sharpen a knife. It amazes me how many people don’t know how to sharpen a knife. He also taught me the reason why and how to use a steel. When I first saw him honing a knife with the steel, I could not believe how fast he would work them together.

JR
Posted By: Mo

Re: Filet Knife Sharpener - 11/15/22 02:38 PM

I use crock sticks to maintain the edge on my fillet and kitchen knives. Maybe once a year , If I let one get really dull , I use the
work sharp.

anyone out there old enough to remember the " Apollo stone " set of crock sticks ? I keep one at the boat house and use
it every time I clean crappie. the old wood handled Rapala fillet knife I use is at least 30 years old , maybe older. I have bought
a half dozen new fillet knives , but always go back the the Rapala .

good luck , your mileage may vary smile

MO
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum