Texas Fishing Forum

Hybrids in Texoma?

Posted By: Rayzor

Hybrids in Texoma? - 07/21/22 01:26 AM

I saw this report on the TPWD website. When did Texoma get hybrid stripers????

Jul 20, 2022
EXCELLENT. Water stained; 82 degrees; 0.48 feet above. Water is starting to turnover, bringing the cooler water to the surface. Clarity is a little murkier, but limits of fish are still being had. Hybrid bass are good with topwaters early, switching to slabs after the fish move down. The larger fish will be under the box fish.
Posted By: BNKrust

Re: Hybrids in Texoma? - 07/21/22 02:41 AM

Those fishing reports are about as useful as a sandpaper di... well, you know the rest. A total give-up it seems.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Hybrids in Texoma? - 07/21/22 01:49 PM

While the reports are generic, Texoma does have some naturally-occurring hybrids. Have seen folks post their photos in the white/hybrid/striper section once in awhile.

But yeah, the report was probably supposed to say "stripers".
Posted By: cob

Re: Hybrids in Texoma? - 07/21/22 03:58 PM

Reports were much better when “The Janitor “ did them where possible he was in touch with active guides on that lakes.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Hybrids in Texoma? - 07/21/22 05:02 PM

We get Hybrids at PK from the surplus Hybrids the state fishery makes. If they are at Texoma it would be natural. I'm thinking this is a bogus report. I fished Texoma for years and never saw a Hybrid.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Hybrids in Texoma? - 07/21/22 11:26 PM

The report was likely a typo, but there are naturally occurring crosses of all true bass species. I’ve caught sandbass x yellow bass crosses and I know of people catching yellow bass x striper crosses at tawakoni and other lakes where both are present. I believe waurika lake upstream also has hybrids which texoma can get when flooding occurs.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Hybrids in Texoma? - 07/28/22 12:25 PM

Have never seen a hybrid in Texoma. May be possible with both whites and stripers spawning in the same locations. Also, the lake will not be turning over this time of year. Lakes only turn over when the top water layers becomes cooler than the water below.....and that's not happening right now.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Hybrids in Texoma? - 07/28/22 04:41 PM

Texoma water body records list hybrids. Nothing too recent, but they are listed on their. But nothing listed on stocking reports. Most likely got in to Texoma via the Red or Washita river due to previous flooding.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/action/waterecords.php?WB_code=0723
Posted By: topconmm

Re: Hybrids in Texoma? - 08/15/22 10:19 PM

Texoma would have Hybrids due to the Lakes upstream are stocked Heavily with them. Waurika Lake has them as do several others that are in the Head waters
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Hybrids in Texoma? - 08/18/22 10:58 AM

I have fished Texoma quite a bit and have caught one hybrid. I think the few that are in there probably come from upstream during flooding. There is no way lakes in this area are turning over. I think whoever wrote that report is confusing murky water with turnover. Texoma has caught more runoff this summer then lakes to the south.
Posted By: chrisc/striper express guide service

Re: Hybrids in Texoma? - 08/25/22 12:32 PM

We get them occasionally during floods I’ve had several good runs of them but they are definitely not consistent when they get in the lake it seems like we catch them up pretty quick
Posted By: 361V

Re: Hybrids in Texoma? - 08/25/22 12:45 PM

TPWD “Fishing Reports”? Bwahahaha…..oh, you’re serious? Sorry. Junk at best.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum