Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Meade - Look at how many sunk boats

Posted By: PKfishin

Lake Meade - Look at how many sunk boats - 06/18/22 03:53 PM

I don't think our local lakes would have this many boats sunk if the lake dried up. They must have really bad boaters out there.

Another thing, they have a 2-4 hour queue for the boat ramp just to launch OR recover your boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCBG_aVkv4s
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Lake Meade - Look at how many sunk boats - 06/18/22 11:19 PM

Incredible.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Lake Meade - Look at how many sunk boats - 06/19/22 01:05 PM

It’s going to eventually stop electric generation. I wonder if they are down to just running it on peak load?
Posted By: tjbubba1

Re: Lake Meade - Look at how many sunk boats - 06/19/22 02:48 PM

When it was full that lake would have huge swells on it, I remember water coming over the front of our house boat.
Posted By: Beak47

Re: Lake Meade - Look at how many sunk boats - 06/19/22 04:53 PM

We fished for stripers using anchovies by the dam and seems like it was well over 200 feet deep back then- like around 1990. The guide had a Sunset boat that I drooled over!
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Lake Meade - Look at how many sunk boats - 06/20/22 04:20 PM

Always wanted to go to that lake.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Lake Meade - Look at how many sunk boats - 06/20/22 05:35 PM

Its Lake Mead. No E.

I grew up in Vegas and visited the Lake at least once a week for years. More often during High School as ditching class and going to the Lake for some cliff diving and swimming (along with other activities) was quite popular.

Lake Mead is still the largest man made lake in North America. Pop up thunderstorms would roll through the desert mountains and canyons and turn calm water into waters that could rival the Great Lakes for their violence and ferocity in the matter of no time. If you notice a lot of these boats are clearly from the 80s and mid 90s when you did not have cell phone apps with live radar. These things could easily sneak up on you.

A lot boats were lost.

And those cliffs we used to make 40 feet leaps of into 60 foot deep water? Well you cannot even see the water from those cliffs anymore. You would never believe there was water there. Its totally back to just looking like desert. No sign that a lake was ever there.
Posted By: FishAdmirer

Re: Lake Meade - Look at how many sunk boats - 07/02/22 01:26 AM

I wonder if they will clean up any of the old boats and junk that have been exposed.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Lake Meade - Look at how many sunk boats - 07/02/22 10:22 PM

I wonder if insurance was behind any of these scuttlings?
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Lake Meade - Look at how many sunk boats - 07/02/22 11:15 PM

https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local...ced-wwii-era-boat-ended-up-in-lake-mead/
Posted By: 361V

Re: Lake Meade - Look at how many sunk boats - 07/03/22 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Beak47
We fished for stripers using anchovies by the dam and seems like it was well over 200 feet deep back then- like around 1990. The guide had a Sunset boat that I drooled over!

At full pool Lake Mead is actually 532’ deep. It is almost 200’ below that mark today.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum