Texas Fishing Forum

WARNING: Loss of life. Pay attention to the sirens when fishing below a dam

Posted By: Osbornfishing

WARNING: Loss of life. Pay attention to the sirens when fishing below a dam - 05/17/22 11:05 PM

If you are fishing in a river below a dam in Texas, immediately move to higher ground if you hear a siren at the dam. An angler lost his life on Friday in the Red River below Texoma, when he remained in the river after the sirens sounded and water was released. My prayers go to his family.

https://www.kxii.com/2022/05/13/search-missing-man-underway-denison-dam/
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: WARNING: Loss of life. Pay attention to the sirens when fishing below a dam - 05/18/22 12:25 PM

So sorry for the needless loss of a life. Prayers sent to the Johnson family and friends.
Posted By: JesseX

Re: WARNING: Loss of life. Pay attention to the sirens when fishing below a dam - 05/18/22 01:04 PM

Sad, very sad.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: WARNING: Loss of life. Pay attention to the sirens when fishing below a dam - 05/20/22 01:55 PM

Very Sad, prayers for his family. How much warning is given before the gate/s open?
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: WARNING: Loss of life. Pay attention to the sirens when fishing below a dam - 05/20/22 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by deucer02
Very Sad, prayers for his family. How much warning is given before the gate/s open?

The amount of time you have varies between lakes. Some lakes give one siren and immediately open the dam gate. Others send several siren blasts then open the gates slowly. The speed that the water rises depends on a lot of factors, like width of the channel, depth of the channel, and the number of gates that are opened. In general, if you fish below a dam you need to be prepared to move to high ground very quickly and do so immediately if you hear a siren.
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: WARNING: Loss of life. Pay attention to the sirens when fishing below a dam - 05/20/22 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by deucer02

Plenty, I've been to Denison several times and even with lots of gear you have ample time to pack up and get up the stairs. I always have to wait a while for the water to actually start releasing once I'm up top
Posted By: Verkeith

Re: WARNING: Loss of life. Pay attention to the sirens when fishing below a dam - 05/21/22 02:07 AM

Praying for the Johnson family!!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: WARNING: Loss of life. Pay attention to the sirens when fishing below a dam - 05/21/22 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Verkeith
Praying for the Johnson family!!

Plus #1. The Lord Jesus Christ has control. angel2
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum