Texas Fishing Forum

Can we get a ruling here?

Posted By: Rayzor

Can we get a ruling here? - 10/06/21 12:57 AM

We are fishing Texoma again this weekend. We have bought a Lake Texoma fishing license and sometimes, we haven't. We have a Texas fishing license and we will ONLY be fishing the Texas side. Do we need a "Lake Texoma Fishing License?" There are numerous contradictory items online.

https://www.laketexoma.com/news--outdoors--Do-You-Need-A-Lake-Texoma-Fishing-License/7192#:~:text=A%20Lake%20Texoma%20License%2C%20or%20%E2%80%9CType%20208%20License%E2%80%9D%2C,in%20order%20to%20simplify%20fishing%20on%20Lake%20Texoma.

https://texoma-fishing.com/lake-texoma-fishing-license/

https://buckleystriperguide.com/what-fishing-license-do-i-need-for-lake-texoma/ confused 3
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Can we get a ruling here? - 10/06/21 01:18 AM

Yes, no matter if you stay on the TX side you NEED the Texoma license.
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: Can we get a ruling here? - 10/06/21 04:16 AM

Two-thirds of this lake lies in Oklahoma. Anglers with Texas licenses may fish in the Texas portions of the reservoir, or purchase a Lake Texoma license ($12) to fish the entire lake.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/texoma/
Posted By: Crappie Husband

Re: Can we get a ruling here? - 10/06/21 04:27 AM

It’s $12 bucks and you can buy it on your phone. It’s a lot less hassle to just get it and not have to worry about it. With that said, if you are sure that you are going to stay on the Texas side a Texas license will suffice.
Posted By: SenkoSam

Re: Can we get a ruling here? - 10/06/21 11:46 AM

How long has the Texoma license been in effect? When I was in the service, active-duty personnel weren't required to get even a state license?

Re: Can we get a ruling here? - 10/06/21 11:42 PM

It's more than obvious that there is a lot of misunderstanding about this. I am going with the information stated on the TPWD website. I will not be buying a Texoma license. It is a shame that Oklahoma and Texas do not have the same understanding as Texas and Louisiana.
Posted By: Flags

Re: Can we get a ruling here? - 10/07/21 01:42 AM

When in doubt buy the license. It will be cheaper than a ticket.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Can we get a ruling here? - 10/07/21 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rayzor
It's more than obvious that there is a lot of misunderstanding about this. I am going with the information stated on the TPWD website. I will not be buying a Texoma license. It is a shame that Oklahoma and Texas do not have the same understanding as Texas and Louisiana.

If you're fishing the shoreline, then I wouldn't bother with a Texoma license. But if you're going to be in a boat anywhere on the main lake I'd get it.
Posted By: slim1

Re: Can we get a ruling here? - 10/07/21 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek

If you're fishing the shoreline, then I wouldn't bother with a Texoma license. But if you're going to be in a boat anywhere on the main lake I'd get it.

The Oklahoma border runs real close to the Texas shore in a lot of spots. The game wardens know where the border line is. Better safe than sorry.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Can we get a ruling here? - 10/07/21 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by slim1
[
The Oklahoma border runs real close to the Texas shore in a lot of spots. The game wardens know where the border line is. Better safe than sorry.[/quote]

^^THIS right here^^
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Can we get a ruling here? - 10/07/21 02:21 PM

I've never fished any Texas / Louisiana water. Just out of curiosity, how do things work on those waters as compared to Texoma?

I know you've already said that you are not going to get a Texoma license. That's going to stink when you see those birds diving and all that top water action going on the other side of the river and you know you can't go fish over there. wink
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Can we get a ruling here? - 10/07/21 08:22 PM

Not if on Texas side while fishing
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Can we get a ruling here? - 10/07/21 10:01 PM

You are one cheapskate, it's $12 which goes towards the resource.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Can we get a ruling here? - 10/07/21 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by avid_basser
Yes, no matter if you stay on the TX side you NEED the Texoma license.

That's wrong. If you stay on the Texas side of the river channel a Texas license is enough.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Can we get a ruling here? - 10/07/21 10:19 PM

When I lived on the lake I often bought a Texas and a Oklahoma license and no Texoma license.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Can we get a ruling here? - 10/08/21 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by slim1
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek

The Oklahoma border runs real close to the Texas shore in a lot of spots. The game wardens know where the border line is. Better safe than sorry.

Maybe I didn't phrase this carefully enough. If you're fishing ON the shoreline i.e. a bank fisherman not using a boat.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Can we get a ruling here? - 10/08/21 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Flags
When in doubt buy the license. It will be cheaper than a ticket.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Can we get a ruling here? - 10/14/21 02:16 PM

When u hit 65 you no longer have to have one.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Can we get a ruling here? - 10/18/21 05:49 PM

Somebody jump me here if I am wrong, but I think it also matters where you are running your boat. If you are motoring across the state line with fish in your possession, when the OK warden waves you over it doesn't really matter that you were on the TX side when you caught the fish.

Bottom line IMO is that for $12 you can save yourself having to worry about interpreting all this mess. Pretty easy choice for me.

Re: Can we get a ruling here? - 10/18/21 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by COFF
Somebody jump me here if I am wrong, but I think it also matters where you are running your boat. If you are motoring across the state line with fish in your possession, when the OK warden waves you over it doesn't really matter that you were on the TX side when you caught the fish.

Bottom line IMO is that for $12 you can save yourself having to worry about interpreting all this mess. Pretty easy choice for me.

Good thing I don't keep any.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum