Texas Fishing Forum

One Mean Carp on a Fly

Posted By: Osbornfishing

One Mean Carp on a Fly - 10/05/21 01:56 AM

This was the only fish I was able to catch this evening, but it was a fun one. There was a massive blow-up when I hooked the fish, so it was obvious from the on-set this was a big fish. The common carp immediately went into the backing and burnt my fingers when I tried to stop it from going around a pier support. It was only an 8-minute fight, but very trying as the fish did not want to come to the net. I have caught bigger fish, but not many with more attitude. roflmao The fish was released to fight another day.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: One Mean Carp on a Fly - 10/05/21 04:14 AM

Awesome catch Barry! Love those feisty Carp cheers
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: One Mean Carp on a Fly - 10/05/21 03:41 PM

Those carp can really fight. Caught a huge one one day at PK crappie fishing a dock. Guess he thought my white jig was some bread. I tink he out fought any LM bass I ever caught.

Re: One Mean Carp on a Fly - 10/06/21 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by PKfishin
Those carp can really fight. Caught a huge one one day at PK crappie fishing a dock. Guess he thought my white jig was some bread. I tink he out fought any LM bass I ever caught.

Carp fight much harder than largemouth bass. I have never had a largemouth bass go into my fly reel backing, but carp do it all the time.
Posted By: FishinDonkey

Re: One Mean Carp on a Fly - 10/06/21 06:09 PM

what type of fly were you using? Ive only ever caught 1 carp on the fly, when i was going for rainbows, with a wooly booger...so needless to say it was by accident...... if i ever try to target carp with a backstabber, or something else, I never get them to bite....but yes, catching a carp on the fly is an awesome experience. nice job!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: One Mean Carp on a Fly - 10/06/21 08:49 PM

Nice fish. Would have loved to have seen the fight! boxing
Posted By: Jon

Re: One Mean Carp on a Fly - 10/06/21 09:14 PM

Awesome fish, Congratulations!! - especially on a fly and a flyrod.
Surprised to see a reel on that rod!! What happened to the plnor method??

Re: One Mean Carp on a Fly - 10/07/21 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by FishinDonkey
what type of fly were you using? Ive only ever caught 1 carp on the fly, when i was going for rainbows, with a wooly booger...so needless to say it was by accident...... if i ever try to target carp with a backstabber, or something else, I never get them to bite....but yes, catching a carp on the fly is an awesome experience. nice job!

Originally Posted by FishinDonkey

I use my Carp Slayer Fly. I have floating and sinking versions.

[Linked Image]

Re: One Mean Carp on a Fly - 10/07/21 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jon

I use all different methods when I am after records (rod and reel, fly rod, Plnor, handline, bow and arrow, etc.). My Plnor method is just one tool I use. As goals change you will be seeing the Plnor method again. roflmao

Re: One Mean Carp on a Fly - 10/07/21 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
Originally Posted by Jon

I use all different methods when I am after records (rod and reel, fly rod, Plnor, handline, bow and arrow, etc.). My Plnor method is just one tool I use. As goals change you will be seeing the Plnor method again. roflmao

Cool. I studied your whole Plnor method info and decided it was probably a bit too dangerous for my old [censored] to be fooling with.
I have enough trouble these days just not falling out of the boat or stomping a nice rod or reel into bits. LOL

Do you sell those Carp Slayer flies? I tie and have all the stuff probably to make them but it's not real handy at the moment and would take me a good bit to figure out how to tie them. Out of curiosity have you done a video of tieing them, or do you know where one might be found?

A carp that size would put up one helluva fight - especially on a fly rod. What length and weight rod and line were you using? sorry for all the questions - I've been called a curious sort by some folks.
Posted By: pop r

Re: One Mean Carp on a Fly - 10/08/21 02:22 PM

Well done! thumb
Posted By: MAC67STANG

Re: One Mean Carp on a Fly - 10/09/21 12:24 AM

Awesome has to be a great fight on a fly rod

Re: One Mean Carp on a Fly - 10/12/21 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jon
Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
Originally Posted by Jon

Cool. I studied your whole Plnor method info and decided it was probably a bit too dangerous for my old [censored] to be fooling with.
I have enough trouble these days just not falling out of the boat or stomping a nice rod or reel into bits. LOL

Do you sell those Carp Slayer flies? I tie and have all the stuff probably to make them but it's not real handy at the moment and would take me a good bit to figure out how to tie them. Out of curiosity have you done a video of tieing them, or do you know where one might be found?

A carp that size would put up one helluva fight - especially on a fly rod. What length and weight rod and line were you using? sorry for all the questions - I've been called a curious sort by some folks.

I do not sell any of my flies. I am really behind on getting videos made. There are so many records swimming around out there that I have prioritized the fishing. I will try and get a video together eventually. It is really easy to tie the fly. Put some hair on the hook, wrap 3 times and pull. Repeat until you fill the shaft. Use scissors to shape the fly.

I normally use a 8’6” rod - 6/7 line with 7 wt line in sinking or floating line depending on the situation. I use 4 to 6 foot mono leader tied directly to the fly. Twenty pound is the minimum, unless I am after a line class record. I normally carry 3 or 4 fly rods at a time. hooked

Re: One Mean Carp on a Fly - 10/14/21 05:03 AM

Thank you for the info on the flies and the rod / line setup. Good fishing to you!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum