Texas Fishing Forum

Any sure-thing stocked ponds for kids to catch something in DFW area?

Posted By: sleepydadATX

Any sure-thing stocked ponds for kids to catch something in DFW area? - 09/19/21 07:04 PM

I’ve taken my boys out on a few too many “dud” fishing trips and I want to take them somewhere they are almost guaranteed to catch something. Does anybody know of somewhere stocked (such as a private pond that charges an entry fee) in the Dallas (or FW) area? Price isn’t a concern.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Any sure-thing stocked ponds for kids to catch something in DFW area? - 09/19/21 08:10 PM

welcome To the TFF. Before you start spending money; what rigs are you guys using to catch Bluegill?
Posted By: porta

Re: Any sure-thing stocked ponds for kids to catch something in DFW area? - 09/19/21 09:23 PM

Oops, here's some info that might check out?

https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/printthread/Board/6/main/63370/type/thread

Some or all of these may have closed, as this a very old link, the pandemic, etc...

Good luck!
Posted By: Ken Starling

Re: Any sure-thing stocked ponds for kids to catch something in DFW area? - 09/19/21 11:22 PM

Could also plan a trip to Athens to the Freshwater Hatchery and make a day trip. They have all you need and the kiddos also get a 1st fish award.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/management/stocking/neighborhood-fishin.phtml
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Any sure-thing stocked ponds for kids to catch something in DFW area? - 09/19/21 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ken Starling
Could also plan a trip to Athens to the Freshwater Hatchery and make a day trip. They have all you need and the kiddos also get a 1st fish award.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/management/stocking/neighborhood-fishin.phtml

Plus #1. thumb
Posted By: sleepydadATX

Re: Any sure-thing stocked ponds for kids to catch something in DFW area? - 09/20/21 01:28 AM

If we’re fishing for bluegill or perch, we just rig with a worm and bobber. My kids both caught their first that way, fishing from a lake cove. But it’s been awhile since we’ve fished that way.

We now have boat club access to Ray Hubbard, but I’m finding it to be a really tough lake to fish. Lots of waves and development, not much nature and serenity. The current makes the riprap really hard to fish. Would love to find a spot we could take the pontoon and let the kids slay the little guys.

I was hoping that if I can keep them interested by getting them lots of catches, they’ll develop the patience to bass fish Ray Hubbard with me. Good bass are there, they just take time to catch.
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: Any sure-thing stocked ponds for kids to catch something in DFW area? - 09/20/21 03:36 AM

Ray Hubbard is the best lake in DFW for Carp and Buffalo. I'd be happy to show you how to best target those from your marina if you're interested! Be warned though - with your kids catching 20+lb Buffalo regularly they may not be too interested in those little green fish lol
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: Any sure-thing stocked ponds for kids to catch something in DFW area? - 09/20/21 03:43 AM

This is my biggest from Hubbard at 38lbs, a gnarly old warrior. And they get even bigger!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dmunsie

Re: Any sure-thing stocked ponds for kids to catch something in DFW area? - 09/22/21 08:37 PM

There has to be a small pond, creek, etc, within 5 miles of anyone in the DFW area. ? ? Throw out some crumbs of crackers, and put a piece of lunch meat on a small hook and catch as many sunfish, bluegill as you want. wink
Posted By: 786

Re: Any sure-thing stocked ponds for kids to catch something in DFW area? - 09/30/21 05:45 PM

Have you tried the TPWD Neighborhood Fishin' program? These sites are stocked every two weeks. Currently, it's catfish stocking until the end of October. After a short break stocking will start again in early December with rainbow trout. Trout stockings end around the end of February, and catfish stocking resumes around the first week in April:

Select the area you're interested in and then click on the ponds.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fis...in.phtml?urbanCity=Houston#what-to-catch
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum