Texas Fishing Forum

Spunt Hub How Common?

Posted By: Flip Flop Fisher

Spunt Hub How Common? - 09/08/21 05:24 PM

do all of you keep a spare hub kit in the boat?

On my old boat I swapped props with with someone and ended up with an extra hub kit. Turns out, I used it. Currently do not have one

thanks!
Posted By: Walls

Re: Spunt Hub How Common? - 09/08/21 05:52 PM

I always have a spare for my main prop as well as have a full replacement prop in the bilge with everything needed to change em. I have yet to need it on the water, but I make some long runs on Rayburn, Tbend, Falcon, etc and would not want to depend on a tow or the troller for such an easy replace.

Re: Spunt Hub How Common? - 09/08/21 07:21 PM

10-4 thanks WALLS
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Spunt Hub How Common? - 09/08/21 08:07 PM

If you have a replaceable hub go bad its usually from impact. Changing it out on the water may get you back to the ramp but you'll still have to deal with damage to the prop.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Spunt Hub How Common? - 09/09/21 12:09 AM

“Spunt” hub?

roflmao

You foreigners crack me up. You remind me of my wife’s family. They are all from the swamps of Louisiana.

I have never spunt one, but I’m not even sure my boat has a plastic hub to spunt. I do, for whatever reason, carry a couple Ultrex props, pins, and nuts. I’ve still never needed one, but I did give one away to a competitor one Saturday.

Re: Spunt Hub How Common? - 09/09/21 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
“Spunt” hub?

roflmao

You foreigners crack me up. You remind me of my wife’s family. They are all from the swamps of Louisiana.

I have never spunt one, but I’m not even sure my boat has a plastic hub to spunt. I do, for whatever reason, carry a couple Ultrex props, pins, and nuts. I’ve still never needed one, but I did give one away to a competitor one Saturday.

glad to amuse:)

good ppl in LA and SC!
Posted By: 361V

Re: Spunt Hub How Common? - 09/10/21 09:17 PM

“Spunt” hub?

roflmao

That’s because Louisiana is where all the Cypress trees & roots are and that’s what SPUNTS hubs. Only one I ever spunt was on Caddo.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Spunt Hub How Common? - 09/11/21 03:26 PM

Fork contributes a lot to the prop man's business. Over the past three weeks my boaters have "spunt" (new word for me) 2 hubs. The first week just idlingly along and the other mistakenly getting out of the boat lane on plane. I told the third week guy and he was very careful and the jinx was broken.

I have "spunt" my props twice at Fork. Each time it was $100 at the prop shop to get them fixed. And do you know there is a break-in for repaired props?

I always carry a spare prop and when I sell the boat this month it will go to the new owner.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Spunt Hub How Common? - 09/11/21 04:22 PM

spunt mine today on fork, yamaha m1 pressed hub, got the tempest with flo torque on now.
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Spunt Hub How Common? - 09/11/21 05:01 PM

I have a 4 blade that I spun that has the "Powertech Cushion Lok CL200 Hub", it belongs to a friend who loaned it to me to try. It takes 14 round rods instead of the more normal looking type of hub. It took some searching to find replacement parts before it gets returned.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Spunt Hub How Common? - 09/13/21 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Oldrabbit
I have a 4 blade that I spun that has the "Powertech Cushion Lok CL200 Hub", it belongs to a friend who loaned it to me to try. It takes 14 round rods instead of the more normal looking type of hub. It took some searching to find replacement parts before it gets returned.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hell no! Just say it next time.
Posted By: jnogreen

Re: Spunt Hub How Common? - 09/13/21 03:41 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I think they spunt too much money on them props.
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Spunt Hub How Common? - 09/13/21 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by jnogreen
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I think they spunt too much money on them props.

It is repaired and back together, it is going to be returned to the owner very soon. It is a 4 blade and I prefer my 3 blade Yamaha VMAX one better. Just going to get a spare hub for mine and carry the tools in the boat.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Spunt Hub How Common? - 09/13/21 06:19 PM

I've never spunt one but have slungt a blade before. Scared the poopt out of me.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Spunt Hub How Common? - 09/13/21 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
I've never spunt one but have slungt a blade before. Scared the poopt out of me.

Dang! I’ve never spunt one either, but I have bunt or bendeded a couple blades a few times.
Posted By: K5RCD

Re: Spunt Hub How Common? - 09/14/21 08:13 PM

Over many years I have spun a hub 3 times. I sometimes get the prop down on sand or mud (never seagrass), and have been able to limp back to the ramp at low speed. Once it happened about 9 miles offshore due to hitting a sand bar a day before, and it just took a while to manifest itself. It was a long ride back, but I could run enough power to negotiate the waves. I don't have room for a spare prop in my 15 ft. Boston Whaler, but I have Sea Tow and a cell phone and hand held VHF marine radio. If the VHF won't reach shore I can always get a relay or maybe a tow, from another boat.

The trick is to recognize the issue before it spins completely, and go to idle speed straight away, bite the bullet, and take your sweet time going back. Don't keep trying to rev it up, it won't heal itself.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Spunt Hub How Common? - 09/15/21 02:04 AM

A couple of years ago my buddies and I took our SoloSkiffs down to the lower Keys for a week. We had been fishing water temps in the 90s here in Texas. The flats we fished down there were averaging 84 degrees. There were some pretty big sargasso mats to deal with. Jay ran through some of them. I spent much of my youth down there, and I avoid them like the plague. We both spun our hubs right off the bat, and I also spun the hub on my backup prop the same day. I never hit bottom with it. Anyway, we were calling around looking for someone to rehub them, and whoever Jay had on the he phone was telling him that the water in Florida is a lot hotter than the water in Texas, and the heat was the cause of our spun hubs. Funny stuff……. Incidentally, we never did figure it out; the sargasso might have been a factor for Jay’s prop, but it wasn’t a factor on either of mine. And neither of us has spun a hub here at home yet.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Spunt Hub How Common? - 09/15/21 12:55 PM

if its a pressed in hub your only option is to carry a spare prop.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Spunt Hub How Common? - 09/15/21 12:59 PM

Never spunt one!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum