Texas Fishing Forum

Minnow traps

Posted By: Mo

Minnow traps - 08/03/21 09:43 PM

Has anyone used these with good success ? what did you bait it with ?

Mo
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Minnow traps - 08/03/21 11:28 PM

What kind?
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Minnow traps - 08/04/21 03:37 PM

I have used them in the past and had pretty good luck using range cubes. The cubes take a while to dissolve and they let little flakes of goodness float thru the water to attract minnows and small sunfish. My traps were sitting directly on the bottom in just enough water to cover the trap by a few inches. This is the style trap I use.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: KEGracing

Re: Minnow traps - 08/05/21 07:26 PM

Have had good luck with these in small streams and creeks. Not so much using them off a dock in a lake.

Bread balls in an old sock, netting of some sort. Range cubes, but they only last few hours.

Ken
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Minnow traps - 08/05/21 10:05 PM

You can enlarge the holes a bit for bait-size sunfish. Toss in some raw bacon and you'll get some crawdads.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Minnow traps - 08/06/21 01:49 AM

I have used Quart "Mason" jars with window screen in rivers for decades.

They work really well baited with Yellow Corn Meal if you keep them out of the main current. cheers
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Minnow traps - 08/09/21 04:38 PM

The only ones I've had success with is the jar that has the cones that you can place at the mouth.
If you have to use the quart size jar, I'd have at least 4 - 6 of them. You can only get so many minnow in quart jar.

For bait, get the cheapest canned dog food you can find. When that meaty dog food hits the water, it dissolves into bite size pieces that are just right for a minnow.

If you have another person and a sein net, you can catch a few dozen that are hanging outside of the jars. Get the jars out of the water, toss down a little dog food to keep the minnows close, and then rake them up with the net.
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Minnow traps - 08/09/21 11:08 PM

Anyone ever use these kinds ? [Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum