Texas Fishing Forum

Decker/Walter E. Long

Posted By: Rayzor

Decker/Walter E. Long - 07/23/21 10:56 PM

Is there any vegetation in the lake now?
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: Decker/Walter E. Long - 07/24/21 01:49 AM

From what I've heard it's very weedy!
Posted By: markson

Re: Decker/Walter E. Long - 07/24/21 07:35 PM

Not like it was a couple of years ago, now kind of spotty and more slime than I remember, still fishing good though - especially if they are busting up the shad!

Re: Decker/Walter E. Long - 07/24/21 10:38 PM

Showed up at Decker this morning. It's been years since I have been there. Nice weather but windier than I anticipated. I was surprised at the lack of boat trailers. There is some vegetation in this lake but not a whole lot. I tried fishing around what I think is called American Pondweed. I threw numerous lures in the 2 hours I was there but never got a bite. No schooling of anything. Decided that Decker was not working for me and went to Bastrop on the way home. Again, surprisingly small amount of boat trailers. Skies cleared up but still windy. Fished for FOUR hours without a bite. I guess on some days the fish just aren't going to cooperate.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Decker/Walter E. Long - 07/24/21 11:59 PM

Dude, are you sure you were at DECKER? I was there a month ago and it was full of hydrilla!! Also lot of reeds and lily pads. Did you fish both sides of the lake?? I can't imagine all that hydrilla is gone!!

Re: Decker/Walter E. Long - 07/25/21 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by fivebites
Dude, are you sure you were at DECKER? I was there a month ago and it was full of hydrilla!! Also lot of reeds and lily pads. Did you fish both sides of the lake?? I can't imagine all that hydrilla is gone!!

I saw some pads up by the intake but did not fish them. Yes, there was some hydrilla. Just not as much as I would have expected for the Summer. I did not spend a whole bunch of time on the water today. Everything will be okay!
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Decker/Walter E. Long - 07/25/21 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rayzor
Originally Posted by fivebites

I saw some pads up by the intake but did not fish them. Yes, there was some hydrilla. Just not as much as I would have expected for the Summer. I did not spend a whole bunch of time on the water today. Everything will be okay!

Next time you're headed up this way give me a couple of days heads up and I'll meet you somewhere. Either boat. Was all set to hit Travis this morning but tweaked my back pretty bad yesterday so I'm out for a few days. Did well on Decker last time out.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum