Texas Fishing Forum

Pending Gizzard Shad State Record on the Fly

Posted By: Osbornfishing

Pending Gizzard Shad State Record on the Fly - 07/22/21 12:37 AM

I have fished thousands of hours and this is my first big gizzard shad on a fly; and it was a good one. roflmao The fish grabbed my carp slayer fly on the surface. I could replicate the situation hundreds of times without getting the timing just right to hook the fish, but I will take it. The shad was 13.75” long and weighed 0.98 pounds. Texas has a great diversity of species.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Pending Gizzard Shad State Record on the Fly - 07/22/21 03:14 AM

Is this for real? 😂
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Pending Gizzard Shad State Record on the Fly - 07/22/21 03:39 AM

Nice gizzard shad Barry! But i doubt if it will even be considered for anything. My wife caught one on a jig that was 17.75" long. She sent all paperwork in to TPWD 2 weeks later they emailed her saying there is no record categories for gizzard shad since they are not commonly caught on rod and reel. So no record would be awarded.
[Linked Image]
Keep us posted as to what TPWD tells you

Re: Pending Gizzard Shad State Record on the Fly - 07/22/21 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by gar1970
Nice gizzard shad Barry! But i doubt if it will even be considered for anything. My wife caught one on a jig that was 17.75" long. She sent all paperwork in to TPWD 2 weeks later they emailed her saying there is no record categories for gizzard shad since they are not commonly caught on rod and reel. So no record would be awarded.
[Linked Image]
Keep us posted as to what TPWD tells you

That is a massive gizzard shad. There are not any length records for gizzard shad, but there are weight records. Length records are for specific species under the Big Fish Award program and shad are not on the list. However, there are state weight records for rod and reel (2.67 pounds), fly fishing, bow and arrow, and currently other methods. You can see the fish I exceeded on this list.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fis...p;age_group=all&list=3&browse=Go
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Pending Gizzard Shad State Record on the Fly - 07/22/21 09:11 AM

Big shad
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Pending Gizzard Shad State Record on the Fly - 07/22/21 12:27 PM

Why?

…..as in why?
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Pending Gizzard Shad State Record on the Fly - 07/22/21 01:38 PM

Nice shad Osbornfishing! cheers

Re: Pending Gizzard Shad State Record on the Fly - 07/22/21 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Why?

…..as in why?

Mine is not to question why. Mine is to set the hook…and turn in the record if I can. hooked
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Pending Gizzard Shad State Record on the Fly - 07/25/21 01:32 PM

I've never seen one that big, much less Gar 1970's!

Re: Pending Gizzard Shad State Record on the Fly - 07/27/21 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by deucer02
I've never seen one that big, much less Gar 1970's!

Some of the biggest ones I have seen came from electro-shocking Lake Caddo while sampling the lake. They were huge. roflmao
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Pending Gizzard Shad State Record on the Fly - 07/27/21 04:53 PM

The whole record thing is out of control IMO. It looks like now you can have a record by length or weight. Talk about confusing LOL. Everyone loves saying they have the record for something though.

Re: Pending Gizzard Shad State Record on the Fly - 07/27/21 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by fishin'aholic2
The whole record thing is out of control IMO. It looks like now you can have a record by length or weight. Talk about confusing LOL. Everyone loves saying they have the record for something though.

Organizations started adding length records just over a decade ago. The main reason was to allow the fish to be released. Personally, I have really enjoyed chasing records. It adds a whole new aspect to every hook-up.
Posted By: fishrdude

Re: Pending Gizzard Shad State Record on the Fly - 07/27/21 09:07 PM

Osbornfishing I would agree with you on this. I have never paid much attention to records but your 100 record mark opened my eyes. When I saw the diversity of the fish you have caught I realized how much you would have had to learn and how much better all around fisherman you must have become to achieve what you did. It has made me start chasing some different species as well.

Re: Pending Gizzard Shad State Record on the Fly - 07/28/21 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by fishrdude
Osbornfishing I would agree with you on this. I have never paid much attention to records but your 100 record mark opened my eyes. When I saw the diversity of the fish you have caught I realized how much you would have had to learn and how much better all around fisherman you must have become to achieve what you did. It has made me start chasing some different species as well.

Thank you for the comments. Take a look at the elite angler program. Just search elite on the TPWD site for the list of elite anglers and rules. When you get 5 species of a certain size in freshwater or saltwater you become an elite angler and get a nice certificate.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Pending Gizzard Shad State Record on the Fly - 08/02/21 12:35 AM

Congratulations Barry! cheer
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum