Texas Fishing Forum

Anyone fish the waters near Wichita Falls?

Posted By: SenkoSam

Anyone fish the waters near Wichita Falls? - 07/01/21 03:45 PM

I was stationed near there from 1970 - 1974 and did pretty good but mostly on live bait (crawdads). Wish I knew then what a know now about lures.
(Course I could have done without the dust storms, ice storms and a tornado (awe-inspiring) to say nothing of the string of 95-degree day/ weeks in summer.
But I sure loved the locals.)
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Anyone fish the waters near Wichita Falls? - 07/01/21 10:18 PM

I lived in Wichita Falls as a kid. In the Summer time, if you felt a cool breeze blow through, you had better know where the nearest tornado shelter was. I stood on my front porch and watched a tornado tear up Sheppard Air Force base.
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: Anyone fish the waters near Wichita Falls? - 07/01/21 11:56 PM

i was raised 80 miles west, in Crowell...Daddy had a cabin on Lake Kemp, on the Waggoner Ranch just north of Seymour...caught a ton of catfish on Rattlesnake Island...changed alot since the 60's tho
Posted By: Whistlebritches

Re: Anyone fish the waters near Wichita Falls? - 07/03/21 12:14 AM

I live 90 miles west in Knox City..............I fish everything between me and the falls.Haven't been on Arrowhead in years but I intend to here in the near future.
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Anyone fish the waters near Wichita Falls? - 07/03/21 04:05 AM

Arrowhead is great fishing for Blue and Channel Cat. Bass are good up to about 6 lbs. Crappie are killer especially during the spawn. If you have a white boat it won't be after a day on the water.
Posted By: SenkoSam

Re: Anyone fish the waters near Wichita Falls? - 07/14/21 06:23 AM

Fished Lake Arrowhead a few times in a boat and from shore. Only remember catching some big carp. The Red R. to the north had huge catfish. I had a friend who was a bouncer that worked at the Airmen's disco club on base who caught river catfish noodling part-time with his massive arms to sell to all-you-could-eat catfish restaurants. One day a big fish that grabbed his arm didn't feel like being brought to the surface and the man drowned. I was amazed by the number of 30-60 lb. cats in the back of his old p/u truck he'd bring by to let his friends have first pick. Those fish along with hush puppies served at a restaurant in Lawton, Ok. just to the north were the best I ever ate!

Man do I miss living in Texas ever so often.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum