Texas Fishing Forum

Retrieving cell phone (diver needed)

Posted By: slotfish70

Retrieving cell phone (diver needed) - 06/15/21 02:49 AM

Anybody know of a diver who could dive down and find my phone. I know its trash but I need the sim card. I thought everything was backed up on cloud but it wasnt. Ive tried twice to walk around where it fell in and feel it with my feet but with no luck. Its in about 5 ft of water on tawakoni. I'm thinking a diver with a metal detector could find it. My mom passed in 2017 and I had pictures of her and text that I would still read. Pics of my daughter and pics of all my fish. Plus tons of contacts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Retrieving cell phone (diver needed) - 06/15/21 02:52 PM

Have you considered dragging a magnet?
Posted By: Mo

Re: Retrieving cell phone (diver needed) - 06/15/21 07:45 PM

5 ft ? all you needed is a mask and snorkel

MO
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Retrieving cell phone (diver needed) - 06/15/21 09:00 PM

5ft? I would have thought that you could find it pretty quickly if you jumped in shortly afterwards.
But with time, no telling where that phone has been pushed to.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Retrieving cell phone (diver needed) - 06/15/21 09:55 PM

Good luck.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Retrieving cell phone (diver needed) - 06/15/21 10:09 PM

You might be able to buy your own metal detector cheaper than you could hire a diver.
Posted By: slotfish70

Re: Retrieving cell phone (diver needed) - 06/16/21 12:01 AM

I tried the goggles. Can't see , water way to dirty.. I should of jump in after it but was in a tournament and the reason it fell in was I got call i had sat it on the butt seat with speaker on and partner set the hook on a fish and I went for the net and it went in when I bumped the seat. I was told a magnet wouldn't get it because there isn't enough metal in it. The bottom is sludge. My feet were sinking like 6 inches in some places. Its probably a lost cause but I'm still going to try somehow even if I have to wait for tawakoni to dry up.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Retrieving cell phone (diver needed) - 06/16/21 12:31 AM

call jons, moderator and diver.

https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/sendprivate/User/26699
Posted By: David Newton

Re: Retrieving cell phone (diver needed) - 06/16/21 02:17 AM

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I would gladly help you search for it but I'm quite a ways south of you. But I would think you could do your own search with goggles and a long snorkel.

The phone was turned on and charged when it went in the drink correct? Phones these days are water resistant. If you had the location services turned on you could geolocate it. That would narrow your search area considerably.
Posted By: Whistlebritches

Re: Retrieving cell phone (diver needed) - 06/16/21 02:22 AM

Bout 10 years ago while duck hunting from a boat I accidentally kicked the butt of my shotgun.Of course it went to the bottom,12' of murky cold [censored] water,did I mention this was in January.I stripped off,while my so called hunting buddies made cat calls,and went for a dip.Took me 3 dives but I recovered that shotgun........still have it in my collection today.Well that was one long cold ride back to the ramp but being an old salty dog sailor I just kept telling myself what I did in my younger Navy days...........if you ain't wet and cold you ain't doing it right.
Posted By: porta

Re: Retrieving cell phone (diver needed) - 06/16/21 06:09 PM

I rented a metal detector many years ago to find my wedding band lost in very muddy water, but it was only about three feet deep. The sound of the alarm for the metal detector was different for different metals and different sizes of objects, so I used another ring of similar size to get an idea of what the tone would sound like. Since it wasn't possible to Mark the area where the ring was dropped exactly at the it was lost, I had to sweep a fairly wide area with the metal detector. My son would scoop up sections of mud wherever a promising tone detected metal. It helps if you have a small hole porous container or screen material to let most of the water drain out from the piles of mud that are gathered. We found the ring after about five tries, after sorting out a few metal zip tabs from cans which gave us false alarm tones. Hope this helps, if you are doing it yourself.

Good luck!
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: Retrieving cell phone (diver needed) - 06/16/21 09:11 PM

Know anybody that bowfishes? A lot of times areas like that are clear in the middle of the night when the lake traffic dies down. Might be able to see it under the lights....
We find all kinds of stuff like that at night time.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Retrieving cell phone (diver needed) - 06/16/21 09:19 PM

If there's dive club in your area, they might be willing to help.
Posted By: belljab

Re: Retrieving cell phone (diver needed) - 06/16/21 10:03 PM

PM sent
Posted By: ML56

Re: Retrieving cell phone (diver needed) - 06/19/21 04:04 AM

Maybe try dragging a good sized dip net in a grid pattern. Mud should wash through, phone should hang. Use markers to lay out grid, pvc,jugs, rope
Posted By: 361V

Re: Retrieving cell phone (diver needed) - 06/19/21 03:54 PM

How long can a SIM card survive underwater(I’ve no idea)? This thread is 4 days old now. Good luck though!
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Retrieving cell phone (diver needed) - 06/22/21 10:57 PM

Guys that recover golf balls from golf course ponds have a device that might do it.
Posted By: porta

Re: Retrieving cell phone (diver needed) - 06/24/21 01:52 AM

It's much easier to bring up if the phone can be seen or if the exact location is known, as several YouTube videos show. But the soft Muddy Bottom will keep that position hidden even to a powerful light.. Magnetic dragging may work on I phone 12 because it has magnetic coupling in it's charging system which might attract a steel chain or other magnets.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum