Texas Fishing Forum

Warming Water

Posted By: CarlB

Warming Water - 06/08/21 12:06 PM

So as we are getting into summer I am wondering about the water heating up and how it will affect the fish. I'm from the northwest where the water never gets above 70 degrees or so. It seems to me that once the water heats up the fish go deep, but do they still move up to the surface or to the shoreline occasionally, or do all the baitfish go deep too?? How warm is too warm to have good fishing? The water where I was fishing last week was about 78 degrees and fishing was decent, after a week of 90's it will undoubtedly go higher and I am thinking my surface fishing will start to suffer.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Warming Water - 06/08/21 12:39 PM

There will always be what I call resident fish that live shallow. Of course they have been hammered over the last 10 years more so than during the early years when I only fished heavy cover where no one else would go. Shallow water fish are extremely hard to find when the water reaches 90 to 100 degrees. I won many tournaments back in the day in this same water. I began to develop a system to follow these fish from shallow to deep water which changed the way I fish today.

I will be glad to send you the Article on following fish from shallow to deep water. Send Email to: fishnteacher@gmail.com
Posted By: CarlB

Re: Warming Water - 06/08/21 02:58 PM

I just read that supposedly most lakes in Texas have no oxygen below 15 feet in the summer.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Warming Water - 06/08/21 03:44 PM

Carl: In the lakes I fish in Texas ( Possum Kingdom, Texoma and Fork) you need to go deep as summer comes on. I consistently see fish in the 30 - 40 foot range and some even deeper. This all depends on the lake. Night fishing gets real good once summer comes on the the surface temps get into the 80's.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum