Texas Fishing Forum

No luck fishing at all

Posted By: Piper480

No luck fishing at all - 06/07/21 04:07 PM

I'm not the most experienced fisherman by any means, but I have not been able to catch a darn thing using artificials or minnows. Is anyone else having trouble this year? Not sure if I need to go play golf or what. I am thinking the flooding has hurt fishing, but not sure. Just baffled I can't even get a bump.
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: No luck fishing at all - 06/07/21 05:08 PM

What are you going for?

Re: No luck fishing at all - 06/07/21 06:00 PM

Bass, crappie, sand bass. Threw jigs, plastics, top waters, minnows and got nuthin
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: No luck fishing at all - 06/07/21 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Piper480
Bass, crappie, sand bass. Threw jigs, plastics, top waters, minnows and got nuthin

Try shallow flooded areas! Alternatively go to a spillway or dam and fish right in the thick of the current fish fish
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: No luck fishing at all - 06/07/21 09:25 PM

Try throwing a basic curl tail grub on a jig head. I always have good luck with white or green pumpkin.

Shallow areas or next to a drop off.
Posted By: David Newton

Re: No luck fishing at all - 06/08/21 12:54 AM

I go through spells like this. I find it helps to go back to the basics. Rain/flooding usually means chocolate milk colored water. If that is what you're seeing then you will need to make some noise with your presentation and use more contrasting colors. Seek out the clearer sections of water.

Working the bottom I would Texas rig something like a Zoom Super Hog (fat version of a Brush Hog) in junebug color. Put a bead between your weight and the hook for extra noise. Maybe cut the appendages to get more action.

For moving baits try spinnerbaits. Colorado blades for extra thump. Some people have preferences of gold or silver blades depending on water clarity but I don't know if it makes a difference.

Other options woud be chatterbaits or swim jigs, although I have little experience with those.

If all else fails break out the ultralight and a rooster tail and catch sunfish until conditions improve. .
Posted By: SenkoSam

Re: No luck fishing at all - 06/08/21 01:19 AM

It's difficult to make suggestions without knowing the water you're fishing such as depth(s) fished, weed types and quantity and bottom types (mud, weedy, hard). Are you fishing from a boat or able to with a fishfinder? What type line used and pound test, rod action and length, how fast your retrieve?

If I were fishing an unknown water, I would use the following:
Light action 6' rod
8 pound test braid line
light jigs and small plastics
medium size spinning or spincast reel

Today I fished a lake I haven't fished much in the last few years and we found different species in different areas. All of which included some 10-12" crappie, many white perch, many sunfish (some decent in size), small bass, and a catfish were caught on the above recommended tackle. The water we fished last Sat, 160 fish in total - all caught on the above tackle in shallow water. Right place, right time, right lure(s) used the right way.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: No luck fishing at all - 06/08/21 01:54 AM

Where are you fishing at?

All of our lakes around here are high and Sam Rayburn is over 10' high.

Some of the upper ends of the lakes are stained badly because of all the rains and that can make it difficult to catch them. thumb
Posted By: CarlB

Re: No luck fishing at all - 06/08/21 11:55 AM

If the fish aren't where you think they should be, then you need to fish where you don't think they would be. Also try something with flash like a spoon, or just wait for the water to clear up a bit.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: No luck fishing at all - 06/08/21 03:47 PM

Where are you fishing Piper? If you are in North Texas you can go to Lake Fork and fish the bridges with minnows and you'll have a hard time NOT catching fish. Or, once the muddy water subsides, you can go to Texoma and just troll crankbaits and you will catch fish.

There's a lot more to the story but this is a start.

Re: No luck fishing at all - 06/08/21 06:32 PM

Dadgum.....I have realized I ma more golfer than fisherman. You guys got it down! Thanks for all of the responses, I am on a mission to restock the tackle and go after it agiain. Much appreciated!!
Posted By: SenkoSam

Re: No luck fishing at all - 06/09/21 09:12 AM

Good luck dude!
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: No luck fishing at all - 06/09/21 11:19 PM

Are you fishing from a bank or a boat?

Re: No luck fishing at all - 06/10/21 01:02 PM

Boat
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: No luck fishing at all - 06/10/21 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Piper480
Boat

Fishing is a constant battle of "where are they today" and "what are they biting." When fish don't bite, move around the body of water you are on and try different types of lures. Top waters followed by crankbaits followed by spinner baits followed by soft plastics followed by..................whatever. Lakes and rivers change with the seasons. If your favorite place isn't producing, go somewhere else.
Posted By: DanDaBald

Re: No luck fishing at all - 06/10/21 10:27 PM

That's why they don't call it "catching" . . . . . . .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum