Texas Fishing Forum

Minnow trap?

Posted By: Texas Fight

Minnow trap? - 06/02/21 04:39 PM

Anyone have good success catching lake minnows. I’m on lake Palestine and this is my first year with a boat house. Area is covered with surface minnows. Not threadfin or gizzard. I tried different minnow traps and cast nets but they are thin and think they just escape. Tried a jar with screen and corn meal. Haven t caught one yet.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Minnow trap? - 06/02/21 05:00 PM

Get a cast net with the smallest mesh you can get. 3/8th should work.
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: Minnow trap? - 06/02/21 05:07 PM

Seines are the best way to catch minnows. I use them all the time to see what species are around
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Minnow trap? - 06/02/21 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by TXMulti-Species
Seines are the best way to catch minnows. I use them all the time to see what species are around

I agree with this-
I’ve tried several different “minnow traps” and have never had “good results”.

Except for a seine net-
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Minnow trap? - 06/02/21 11:26 PM

I have had good luck with minnow traps in creeks and streams but not so much in lakes unless you leave it baited over night in a pretty good area. Mostly I get little bluegill.

Only used a sein a couple of times. Caught tons of ghost minnows and a few shiners.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Minnow trap? - 06/02/21 11:54 PM

Minnow jars works great. My grandfather had several but it’s in the set up on them. We would put them out on sand bars in the river in the little pockets that the minnows used to get out of the current. Have 20 in a jar sometimes. I would keep trying that or like said above get a very small mesh cast net. Good luck!
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Minnow trap? - 06/04/21 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Texas Fight
Anyone have good success catching lake minnows. I’m on lake Palestine and this is my first year with a boat house. Area is covered with surface minnows. Not threadfin or gizzard. I tried different minnow traps and cast nets but they are thin and think they just escape. Tried a jar with screen and corn meal. Haven t caught one yet.

The Mason Jar with a screen in it works great in creeks and rivers with a current. cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum