Texas Fishing Forum

New to gator country

Posted By: Harloki

New to gator country - 05/26/21 04:22 PM

Moving into the Dallas area from the west coast (yea I know...) and never been in an area with these dinosaurs. Most guides say avoid sunup/sundown but that cuts out alot of prime fishing time. Is there some more info I should be aware of or am I worrying about something that's not really a major issue? I mostly fish bank or from a kayak for sturgeon but plan on targeting cats and carp. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: New to gator country - 05/26/21 05:31 PM

Leave 'em alone. If one is aggressive it means you are too close to it's nest. Don't pick up little alligators or the mother will come have a few words with you. In other words, leave 'em alone.

Re: New to gator country - 05/26/21 05:49 PM

Yea my main plan is stay the hell away from them at any size. I'm more wondering should I stay back from the bank while fishing a good distance and if I take a dunking from a kayak just how bad a situation I'm in.
Posted By: The Netstretcher

Re: New to gator country - 05/26/21 06:07 PM

There's about zero risk of being attacked by a gator in Texas lakes. I would go kayak wherever you can with no worries.

Re: New to gator country - 05/26/21 06:11 PM

Thanks for the advice gents! I truly appreciate it.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: New to gator country - 05/26/21 06:47 PM

If they see ya, you’re a goner. They WILL EAT YOU. I have heard of the gators in DFW tearing boats to pieces, just to drag a man down with its death roll.

If you’re from Cali, the gators here are nothing. Liberals, gangbangers, and black bears are far more deadly and far more common in Cali, but you still survived. You’ll likely NEVER see a gator in the wild within two to three hours drive of DFW.

Re: New to gator country - 05/26/21 07:39 PM

Pepper spray does wonders for bears and libs, the ones you really need to watch out for are the homeless druggies. Only thing that stops them is a job application.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: New to gator country - 05/26/21 07:41 PM

Around the Dallas area you should be fine unless you have really bad luck. Caddo :Lake is a different story, between the gators, and also the snakes falling into the boat from the trees it can be exciting!
Posted By: hopalong

Re: New to gator country - 05/26/21 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
If they see ya, you’re a goner. They WILL EAT YOU. I have heard of the gators in DFW tearing boats to pieces, just to drag a man down with its death roll.

If you’re from Cali, the gators here are nothing. Liberals, gangbangers, and black bears are far more deadly and far more common in Cali, but you still survived. You’ll likely NEVER see a gator in the wild within two to three hours drive of DFW.

fork has gators. in 8 yrs. tho I have yet to see them although I know they are there.

Re: New to gator country - 05/26/21 08:13 PM

carry about a # of 407 bbq and if ya see a gator toss them a snack while you make your getaway, they love Q.

if you don't see any gators then ya got lunch.

win/win!
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: New to gator country - 05/26/21 08:22 PM

They won’t bother you.. there are some big ones on some of the lakes in east Texas. Only had one get even close to me in all my years. She had a nest I wasn’t aware of. Just go fish!
When I was working in California I fished the Delta. Those seals scared the [censored] out of me the first time I ran into one. In the dark. I wasn’t aware they were in there. Lol

Re: New to gator country - 05/26/21 08:27 PM

Oh yes those sea lions are alot bigger than you expect. Kayaking off the coast I was more afraid of them than any shark and they are smart enough to check your boat for fish they can steal.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: New to gator country - 05/26/21 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Harloki
Moving into the Dallas area from the west coast (yea I know...) and never been in an area with these dinosaurs. Most guides say avoid sunup/sundown but that cuts out alot of prime fishing time. Is there some more info I should be aware of or am I worrying about something that's not really a major issue? I mostly fish bank or from a kayak for sturgeon but plan on targeting cats and carp. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Don't listen to these other guys. Texas gators are very friendly. They love to have there heads rubbed.

Re: New to gator country - 05/26/21 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rayzor

Don't listen to these other guys. Texas gators are very friendly. They love to have there heads rubbed.

Mind showing me how it's done? I don't want to rub them the wrong way.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: New to gator country - 05/26/21 11:43 PM

I would worry much more about cottonmouth snakes than gators. It is very rare to see a gator in the metroplex.

Re: New to gator country - 05/27/21 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
I would worry much more about cottonmouth snakes than gators. It is very rare to see a gator in the metroplex.

saw 4 today here at the ranch, only got to shoot one tho.

mr. moccasin is out in force with all this rain lately.

far ne fannin county, 1.5 mi. south of the red river
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: New to gator country - 05/27/21 01:47 AM

Targeting Carp, eh? Come into the Roughfish section! There's also a large contingent of us on Facebook.
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: New to gator country - 05/27/21 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by The Netstretcher
There's about zero risk of being attacked by a gator in Texas lakes. I would go kayak wherever you can with no worries.

+1
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: New to gator country - 05/28/21 09:39 AM

welcome
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: New to gator country - 05/28/21 04:25 PM

Never seen one in North Texas but they are here. Better just be careful.

Go to youtube and type in North Texas alligator and you can see lots of videos of Gators on North Texas lakes.

Don't be like this wild pig that gets eaten by a gator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzFR2I3TKyk

If it were up to me ( and its not) I'd exterminate the gators.
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: New to gator country - 05/28/21 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Osbornfishing

I would agree.

I grew up in Cameron, La., which has a large population of gators. We used to canoe through the canals all the time and their curious nature never led them to follow us or bother us.

When we came upon them while walking on the levees we would simply throw dirt clods at them until they went back into the water, and we would proceed on.

The scariest part was when we used to go frog gigging at night. We would cross the small channels with our head lights. You would look to your right and see several sets of eyes and look to your left and see several set of eyes. But they never chased us or paid much attention to us.

By the way, snake eyes look like frog eyes in the reflection of a head lamp. I learned it was much safer to use a gig than catch them with your hands grin

My advice would be to pay close attention to your surroundings. If you can spot a snake you won't have much of an issue spotting an alligator or alligator nest. And if you catch a fish and it is attracting an alligator then just cut the line and paddle away quickly grin
Posted By: LastCastPodcast

Re: New to gator country - 05/28/21 09:36 PM

As someone who has killed an alligator on a TPWD hunt, I'd like to put in a kind word on their behalf. Gators are lovely animals and not particularly aggressive. They won't try to eat anything which they don't think they can fit in their mouth (unlike a crocodile). Out of millions of people who have lived in the state of Texas, only one has managed to get killed by a gator. And consensus is he was dumb. Don't be dumb, and you'll be fine.
Posted By: wagonwheel

Re: New to gator country - 05/30/21 11:33 AM

I grew up in Louisiana and spent much of my youth in the swamps. No need to worry about alligators. They generally will not let you get close to them, and believe me--as a kid I tried! Water moccasins and fire ants are the biggest concern. Alligators will run from you, water moccasins will stand their ground (or worse) and fire ants are in cahoots with the devil himself. I have yet to see a water moccasins in Texas (plenty of copperheads), have only seen alligators on Toledo Bend, and fire ants are everywhere. Do be careful if you have a dog or small child. Depending on the size ratio of alligator to dog/child, the alligator may see a potential food source. The child/dog won't see the alligator until it's too late, keep them away from the water's edge. The below image was taken on Toledo Bend with a decent zoom lens.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 361V

Re: New to gator country - 05/30/21 11:47 AM

Aside from all the “Alligator BS” they are way more common in all Texas than ever before. That said: still count yourself blessed if you actually get lucky enough to sight one.
Posted By: ggoytia

Re: New to gator country - 05/31/21 05:33 AM

Best of luck to you out here. You are coming to a better place. Welcome.

Learn your snakes especially Cooperheads and cotton mouths.

Fire ants are no joke. They float yup like a buoy.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vo9dNyNB9xM

But your biggest threat is drunk boater and A Holes on jet skis.
Posted By: McFish51

Re: New to gator country - 05/31/21 04:45 PM

I went to Hawkins 3 weeks ago. Signs are out warning about snakes and gators. Did not see a one. However, the novice jet skier almost ran us down. Later he flipped the ski,
killed the engine and took 40 minute swim until his buddies could rescue him. Yeah for Karma.
Posted By: Beak47

Re: New to gator country - 05/31/21 04:59 PM

Welcome to the Forum Harloki
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: New to gator country - 06/09/21 02:19 AM

Sometimes they even get in small private ponds. I guess he/she couldn’t read my posted sign ! [Linked Image]
Posted By: COFF

Re: New to gator country - 06/09/21 02:25 PM

He catches on quick, this one! cheers
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: New to gator country - 06/11/21 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by COFF

He catches on quick, this one! cheers

bannana2

They have always been around but we just never mess with them and they don't mess with us. cheers

We had to leave an area of Lake Livingston once in our flat bottom because an 8' specimen took a liking to us and wouldn't leave us alone. hammer
Posted By: DSpurg

Re: New to gator country - 06/11/21 06:41 PM

Go to Lake Worth, up the river - 15 minutes north of downtown Fort Worth and see all the alligators you want to see.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: New to gator country - 06/12/21 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

This post is why I have a crush on you Steez. LOL. There is one in Lake Arlington. Got pics.
Posted By: mavsfan

Re: New to gator country - 06/14/21 12:15 AM

That one in Arlington, I seen him sunning on a pile of water bottles.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: New to gator country - 06/14/21 06:52 PM

[Linked Image]

Be careful around lake fork! Those gators will eat more than just your homework. roflmao
Posted By: 1WithTXFish

Re: New to gator country - 06/14/21 07:20 PM

[Linked Image]

I was told this was caught on Eagle Mountain this weekend.
Not verified
Posted By: 361V

Re: New to gator country - 06/15/21 01:52 AM

Not arguing but sure that’s not the Texas record that young man caught on Choke Canyon several years ago? Something like 14’ and 800lbs.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum