Texas Fishing Forum

Good Day On Guadalupe River

Posted By: David Newton

Good Day On Guadalupe River - 05/11/21 02:11 AM

So based on advice from grout-scout I headed to Guadalupe River State Park yesterday. I had a blast for the most part. Caught at least 100 fish, although nothing over a pound. Trail along the river is not well (or at all) maintained so I got a little scratched up. It'll buff out though. I'll bring a machete next time. Or just buy a kayak.

So a few photos below show fish I caught. Some unexpected catches in there.

What type of bass are these? Spotted? They're too splotchy to be regular largemouth no? What type of sunfish?

Some type of Gar to close out the post. Goofy looking fish for sure.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: cob

Re: Good Day On Guadalupe River - 05/11/21 10:06 AM

Guadalupe Bass. Texas State fish. 2 lbs would be a large one. They all think they weigh 4. Great day
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Good Day On Guadalupe River - 05/11/21 10:25 AM

coolphotos thumb
Posted By: CarlB

Re: Good Day On Guadalupe River - 05/11/21 12:39 PM

Those look like spotted bass to me, the green strips along the bottom are what identify them along with orange eyes. I was never able to walk more than a few minutes up the river before the trail would peter out, did you have to do a lot of bushwhacking?
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Good Day On Guadalupe River - 05/11/21 01:44 PM

Get a kayak and explore so much more!! Those are beautiful fish!
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Good Day On Guadalupe River - 05/11/21 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by cob
Guadalupe Bass. Texas State fish. 2 lbs would be a large one. They all think they weigh 4. Great day
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Good Day On Guadalupe River - 05/11/21 02:21 PM

[Linked Image]

Kayak is the best way to explore the river!
This is a photo I took at the park after I launched my first kayak on it's maiden voyage.
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Good Day On Guadalupe River - 05/11/21 03:02 PM

+3 Guadalupe bass from the Guadalupe river and a long nose gar. Nice pics and post thanks for sharing clap
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Good Day On Guadalupe River - 05/11/21 04:15 PM

Awesome post and some nice fish. All have been identified with the exception of the Longear and the Redbreast. The Longear have the short ear while the Redbreast has the longer ear. (Go figure). thumb
Posted By: David Newton

Re: Good Day On Guadalupe River - 05/11/21 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by CarlB
Those look like spotted bass to me, the green strips along the bottom are what identify them along with orange eyes. I was never able to walk more than a few minutes up the river before the trail would peter out, did you have to do a lot of bushwhacking?

Was my first time there so I didn't know to bring anything. Had to duck walk in quite a few locations as well as climb some rocks. I bought a machete for some return trips.

All the while the north side of the river is mostly flatish bank. I'll try to cross over next time.

Originally Posted by JJ4MEL
Get a kayak and explore so much more!! Those are beautiful fish!

The rack is already on its way. As soon as I find a place to store a kayak I'll be ordering one.

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Awesome post and some nice fish. All have been identified with the exception of the Longear and the Redbreast. The Longear have the short ear while the Redbreast has the longer ear. (Go figure). thumb

What what what?!? They sure don't make identification easy.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Good Day On Guadalupe River - 05/11/21 05:42 PM

thumb
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Good Day On Guadalupe River - 05/11/21 11:38 PM

Haven’t ever been here, but you seem to try anything, so you might try it too. I know there’s some ponds, not sure if there’s any fish or not. Might be worth looking, maybe.

Joshua Springs Nature Preserve (Google map it)
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Good Day On Guadalupe River - 05/12/21 07:06 PM

Try to be discreet with that machete, because that is a state park, and the rangers frown on anyone damaging the natural fauna!
I would be very, very careful as someone may alert the rangers if they see you hacking away, and it could be very costly.
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Good Day On Guadalupe River - 05/13/21 03:25 PM

Nice post and pics! clap
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum