Texas Fishing Forum

Cure for zebra mussels.

Posted By: BillS2006

Cure for zebra mussels. - 04/16/21 03:33 PM

Simple and easy way to rid your boat of the zebra mussels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLTwVMhwD5k
Posted By: Barbers Tree

Re: Cure for zebra mussels. - 04/16/21 05:27 PM

how much?
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Cure for zebra mussels. - 04/16/21 07:25 PM

I was curious if zebra and quagga were the same, so I asked Ol’ Google. Apparently they are a bit different and the zebras prefer warmer water. Possible that the hot water bath won’t work, but might be worth some testing, that’s for sure.

Re: Cure for zebra mussels. - 04/16/21 08:08 PM

Video says quagga and zebra mussels. But maybe that's just media spin.
Posted By: EB Lane

Re: Cure for zebra mussels. - 04/16/21 08:51 PM

I have been keeping a full bar of ivory soAP IN MY BIL;GE FOR SEVERAL YEARS

Re: Cure for zebra mussels. - 04/16/21 08:59 PM

I wonder if zebras are in any of the active cooling plant lakes???

Re: Cure for zebra mussels. - 04/17/21 12:37 PM

The list on TP&W website does not list warm water lakes. But, I don't know of any warm water lakes that are 110º year round. And I have always had a theory that power plants add some chemical to keep pipes clean. And I believe that is why so many power plant lakes don't have crappie spawn.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Cure for zebra mussels. - 04/17/21 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by BillS2006
The list on TP&W website does not list warm water lakes. But, I don't know of any warm water lakes that are 110º year round. And I have always had a theory that power plants add some chemical to keep pipes clean. And I believe that is why so many power plant lakes don't have crappie spawn.

Unfortunately it's no theory!
I've seen our local powerplant lakes kill off aquatic vegetation seemingly overnight so zebra mussels is a non factor.

Re: Cure for zebra mussels. - 04/17/21 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo

I've seen our local powerplant lakes kill off aquatic vegetation seemingly overnight so zebra mussels is a non factor.

As popular as Fayette is, if there wasn't something added to the cooling water, zebra mussels would be infested. I think that chemical is what inhibits crappie spawn. Crappie were stocked in Fayette but never spawned. Crappie were stocked in Fairfield, yet never spawned.

Re: Cure for zebra mussels. - 04/17/21 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo

As popular as Fayette is, if there wasn't something added to the cooling water, zebra mussels would be infested. I think that chemical is what inhibits crappie spawn. Crappie were stocked in Fayette but never spawned. Crappie were stocked in Fairfield, yet never spawned.

That I did not know, thanks for pointing that out. Not many power plant lakes here, I had no clue that crappie couldn’t spawn. Jimbo, do you recall ever hearing about crappie in Calaveras?

Re: Cure for zebra mussels. - 04/18/21 11:08 PM

There were crappie in Calaveras. I don't know about their spawn. I do know I heard of the "crappie wall". I assume the crappie were plentiful there. But how long did they last? Fairfield lasted about five years as I remember, Fayette about the same. Those were stocked fish. Both of those lakes received stockings in the 90's but I know Fayette there hasn't been a crappie caught in 15 year or so.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Cure for zebra mussels. - 04/18/21 11:52 PM

Interesting story. As stated already. How much will it cost? noidea

Side Note: I fish Calaveras several times a year. I have never seen or heard of a crappie being caught there over the past twenty years. eeks

Re: Cure for zebra mussels. - 04/19/21 12:26 AM

I think it would be pretty expensive to build. Out west, the quagga mussels are taken very seriously. Boaters without a special use permit (boat clean and only used on designated lake) have to go thru an expensive clean, and dry before launching. Takes about 1-1/2 hours. They can get the special permit if the boat is used only on the one lake. If they go to a different lake, they lose the permit.

I would pay a small fee to be sure zebra mussels didn't hitch a ride on my boat.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Cure for zebra mussels. - 04/22/21 01:30 AM

Interesting
Posted By: machinist

Re: Cure for zebra mussels. - 04/22/21 04:43 AM

Power plants or any plants that are on public water, especially lakes that are used for drinking water have very strict rules on what you can put in the water. At the plant where I worked all we put in our intake was chlorine. There may be a chemical to clear pipes but I never heard of it. I also never heard of a chemical that would stop fish from spawning. I have been on several power plant lakes that had crappie in them and TPWD told me one time when they were doing a fish survey at Graham that they didn’t stock crappie. They said that since they were such prolific spawners they didn’t need to.
Posted By: wytex

Re: Cure for zebra mussels. - 04/24/21 07:48 PM

You must have your boat inspected upon entering Wyoming during certain time periods. WG&F has check stations on various highways or you go to an inspection person or station.
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Fishing-and-Bo...cies-Prevention/AIS-Inspection-Locations
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Cure for zebra mussels. - 04/24/21 11:23 PM

110 degree water kills them? I wonder it this temp water can cause gel coat blisters or delamination.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum