Texas Fishing Forum

IF YOU THINK CANYON IS TOUGH..........

Posted By: Olegreg

IF YOU THINK CANYON IS TOUGH.......... - 04/01/21 01:54 PM

Try Placid!!! Wife and I fished it 03-30-21. Two days after the full moon, water temp 69 degrees, mild cloudy day with a nice south wind, front scheduled to arrive the next day, good water color, constant level lake (never way up or way down). Pretty much the best conditions I can imagine. Wife crappie fished with a jig, I mostly bass fished with a lizard, white 1.5, and a white chatter bait. Total for the day - one dink bass. Only saw one other boat and he had not had a bite. Not saying we are the best anglers ever, and not the first time we didn't catch them, but this just seemed weird. Didn't even see fish on my depth finders! Oh well, tomorrow is another day (on a different lake).
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: IF YOU THINK CANYON IS TOUGH.......... - 04/02/21 12:21 AM

I have fished Placid a lot over the years. I have had good days and bad days. For the most part I would say it has been even. Placid as some very big catfish and gar in that part of the Guadalupe River. Flatheads, and Blues are huge. Channels are big. Best time for the cat's is late fall and winter. For bass mid spring will be your best bet. Placid is loaded with crappie. The spawn has already taken place and you can usually find them this time of year in 15 to 18 feet of water holding by structure such as docks, bridge pillions, and brush piles. Jigs Chartreuse/Black seem to work best. thumb

Side Note: You are also 100 percent right on the money. Placid can be a very tough lake to fish, just like Canyon! bang
Posted By: Will.i.am

Re: IF YOU THINK CANYON IS TOUGH.......... - 04/02/21 03:48 AM

Thats Placid for ya. Bass population is thin out there but crappie are plentiful
Posted By: Olegreg

Re: IF YOU THINK CANYON IS TOUGH.......... - 04/02/21 07:26 PM

Chuck - thanks for your reply. I know you know the area fishing as well as anyone. That is what seemed weird to me - as far as I know there are only six pillions on that lake, we fished them all with a long rod and 1/16 jig - nothing. I had my front depth finder on down imaging and 2D sonar - I saw some brush, but no fish. Are you saying that the crappie have completely spawned and gone into their summer pattern before the full moon in March? Seems early to me, and I have not heard a single report of anyone catching the black males this year. Also, when I fished the bank for bass, my wife tried a jig and bobber - again no fish ( small bass, perch, etc.). Usually, I think they would be on the bank looking for crappie eggs. Anyway, maybe someone will respond a show me a picture of 20 or 30 crappie they have recently caught at Placid. Again, thanks for your input.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: IF YOU THINK CANYON IS TOUGH.......... - 04/03/21 01:27 PM

Me and several thousand of my friends would be interested in those pictures as well! fish
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum