Texas Fishing Forum

Potential Zebra Muscle Outbreak

Posted By: Nocona Brian

Potential Zebra Muscle Outbreak - 03/05/21 02:34 PM

I don't know how many guys on here are into aquariums, but this isn't getting the attention I think it should.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/invasive-zebra-mussels-found-in-marimo-moss-balls/ar-BB1eg1pH
Originally Posted by MSN NEWS
OLYMPIA, Wash. – The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife is asking anyone who has recently purchased Marimo moss balls to inspect their plants for the invasive zebra mussel.

The U.S. Geological Survey released a report of potential zebra mussels found in a shipment of “Betta Buddy” brand Marimo moss balls at a Petco in Seattle.

Enforcement officers with the WDFW removed 56 of the moss balls and found at least 12 zebra mussels.

The WDFW says several other retailers have reported finding zebra mussels in the Marimo moss balls.

Both Petco and PetSmart have removed the product from shelves nationwide and are putting them in quarantine, WDFW says.

These little moss balls are sold all over the country, mostly to people new to aquariums, so most likely a bunch of tanks are going to crash and they're just going to dump it somewhere. I was reading on Reddit last night, people have been reporting finding zebra muscles in the balls for atleast two months.
Posted By: LastCastPodcast

Re: Potential Zebra Muscle Outbreak - 03/05/21 04:05 PM

That bodes ill.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Potential Zebra Muscle Outbreak - 03/05/21 07:00 PM

Interesting! hmmm
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: Potential Zebra Muscle Outbreak - 03/05/21 09:49 PM

Hopefully people don't unwittingly spread these Zebra Mussels by dumping their fish into bigger bodies of water
Posted By: sdavis24

Re: Potential Zebra Muscle Outbreak - 03/05/21 10:35 PM

Wonder if the pouring the water down the drain when changing the tank could cause issues?
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Potential Zebra Muscle Outbreak - 03/05/21 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by sdavis24
Wonder if the pouring the water down the drain when changing the tank could cause issues?

Maybe in the sewer lines, but they won't survive going through the wastewater treatment plant. And there's no sunlight in the lines, so I'd think survival there would be short lived.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum