Texas Fishing Forum

A lesson learned the hard way and a cool find while scouting the creeks.

Posted By: Bumblebee488

A lesson learned the hard way and a cool find while scouting the creeks. - 03/02/21 05:55 AM

Went up a popular creek this weekend on my Kayak, and less than 2 minutes in I see a swarm of mosquitos on the water (who thought they'd be out during this cold weather?) and one of them decided to land on my head and I instinctively swatted it away and in doing so knocked my brand new prescription glasses into the muddy water never to be seen again. Can't lie and say this is the first time that this has happened though grin , if yall wear glasses/ sunglasses remember to pick up a retainer before you get on the water. went home and picked up my old prescription then drove to another nearby creek and found this poor fellow sitting in the creek bed. Figured it was a river otter and texted the game warden and he confirmed it apparently, they are pretty elusive and not often spotted. GW said he probably froze. Surprised to find we had them this far northwest of the Gulf, but then again my former research assistant who I worked under told me that she used to work with turtles at her wildlife program out at A&M Commerce and one time one of the turtles they trapped had bites from a river otter on it eeks also sorry for the blurry photos my phone must have been having a bad day.

Attached picture File_002 (1).jpeg
Attached picture File_001 (1).jpeg
Attached picture File_000 (1).jpeg
Posted By: BMCD

Re: A lesson learned the hard way and a cool find while scouting the creeks. - 03/02/21 06:46 PM

see a few otters on Rayburn and Toledo.
Posted By: cellis

Re: A lesson learned the hard way and a cool find while scouting the creeks. - 03/02/21 08:50 PM

I saw a couple on Rayburn as well about 15 years ago.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: A lesson learned the hard way and a cool find while scouting the creeks. - 03/02/21 09:59 PM

I have seen them in a local creek I fish regularly. thumb

Side Note: Sorry about your glasses. Never lost a pair while fishing. Cell phones are another story. bang
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: A lesson learned the hard way and a cool find while scouting the creeks. - 03/02/21 10:01 PM

Too bad about your glasses, mine have been knocked off a few times by rowdy Carp/Buffalo but I've always found 'em. Neat find with the otter! I've heard of a few around DFW
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: A lesson learned the hard way and a cool find while scouting the creeks. - 03/03/21 03:05 AM

Saw more than 1 otter at Fairfield on Saturday
Posted By: dobbin

Re: A lesson learned the hard way and a cool find while scouting the creeks. - 03/03/21 04:44 PM

There use to be a pair that lived on the dam at Navarro Mills
Posted By: d75bender

Re: A lesson learned the hard way and a cool find while scouting the creeks. - 03/04/21 06:30 AM

Has happened to my glasses a few times. Now I get those foam things that slip on to the back of my glasses so when they fall off they float. And unfortunately I've tested it out on accident and they do float. Can't remember the name. I'll see if I can find it and post here.
Posted By: d75bender

Re: A lesson learned the hard way and a cool find while scouting the creeks. - 03/04/21 06:33 AM

I guess they're just called floating sunglass strap. lol.
Posted By: bassnman

Re: A lesson learned the hard way and a cool find while scouting the creeks. - 03/05/21 02:52 PM

Saw 2 at Fork over the last 5 years.
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: A lesson learned the hard way and a cool find while scouting the creeks. - 03/05/21 04:28 PM

Saw 2 of them on Martin Creek Lake last year.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum