Texas Fishing Forum

towing a stranded boat on the water

Posted By: dobbin

towing a stranded boat on the water - 02/24/21 03:30 PM

Anyone know of a towing service on Richland Chambers. Boat got away at dock and drifted away. My friend needs help getting his boat back.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: towing a stranded boat on the water - 02/24/21 05:03 PM

I don't; but might have more luck posting on the bass fishing page as it gets more views.
Posted By: BOZZ

Re: towing a stranded boat on the water - 02/24/21 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by dobbin
Anyone know of a towing service on Richland Chambers. Boat got away at dock and drifted away. My friend needs help getting his boat back.

Not a towing service but I would call one of the local guides and ask if they could tow it in. Bob Holmes, Royce Simmons or Chris Watson, doesn't hurt to ask.

Good Luck,
Bozz
Posted By: Gone Fishin'

Re: towing a stranded boat on the water - 02/24/21 06:25 PM

I'm not at the Lake today or I'd try and help you.

Call RC Fire and Rescue at 903-874-8071 and see if they can help'

Good Luck!
Posted By: outdoor-addict

Re: towing a stranded boat on the water - 02/24/21 06:26 PM

Game Warden ?

Re: towing a stranded boat on the water - 02/24/21 07:05 PM

My buddy call game warden he suggested RC fire and rescue they showed with a boat and it would not start sent a second boat and it ran out of gas. fire and rescue called someone else and a man showed up on a jet ski he pulled the rescue boat to shore and took my friend to find boat. they found the boat but no one has even contacted him today to see if he got it off the lake. He has not computer and has tried several avenues but not help at this time. Thanks for the replies. I would try and help him but the wind is blowing to much for my boat and I am a good distance away.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: towing a stranded boat on the water - 02/24/21 07:12 PM

So he didn't even know where his boat floated off to? How does he know it just floated off? Maybe it was stolen.

Re: towing a stranded boat on the water - 02/24/21 08:07 PM

He tied to dock went to park truck when he returned it was about 100 yards from the dock he was the only one there he watched it float away and he called and tried to find some help nightmares of fishing alone
Posted By: d75bender

Re: towing a stranded boat on the water - 02/25/21 06:51 AM

Stand on the dock and next time someone launches give them 20$ to go get it for you. I mean if its floating then it wouldn't take that long. I know I'd do it if someone asked me.
Posted By: 361V

Re: towing a stranded boat on the water - 02/25/21 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by d75bender
Stand on the dock and next time someone launches give them 20$ to go get it for you. I mean if its floating then it wouldn't take that long. I know I'd do it if someone asked me.
You haven’t fished RC in the middle of the winter huh? Might stand at that boat ramp a few days before you see another boat launch.

Re: towing a stranded boat on the water - 02/25/21 01:54 PM

It is not me really it is a friend. He has someone coming this morning. I jjust hope his stuff is all still there. If he had wrote all the things that has happened to him down he could write a book
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: towing a stranded boat on the water - 02/25/21 03:20 PM

Tell him good job on not jumping in and swimming for it, if he did it would also be a body recovery mission
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: towing a stranded boat on the water - 02/25/21 03:26 PM

^^^ exactly. Water temps way too COLD for that.
Posted By: outdoor-addict

Re: towing a stranded boat on the water - 02/25/21 03:32 PM

i'm confused. Your earlier post said they found the boat after going out with a jet ski.........so why didn't he recover it then?
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: towing a stranded boat on the water - 02/25/21 04:03 PM

It is not me really it is a friend. He has someone coming this morning. I jjust hope his stuff is all still there. If he had wrote all the things that has happened to him down he could write a book

There might be a common denominator in that statement. Has he been a boater very long? There are some online tools to teach a person how to tie a knot that stays tied, though it sounds like it may not help too much in this case. Don't ever let him take up aviation!
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: towing a stranded boat on the water - 02/25/21 04:07 PM

FYI many law enforcement agencies are not permitted to tow, except in dire emergencies where lives are in danger. First, there is a liability involved; they would invariably end up being sued for damages they may or may not have caused to the towed vessel. They also may well damage the agency's equipment. There's a reason commercial enterprises have to carry so much insurance. Far too many people hoping to get rich off of a government agency. Additionally, if a water body has commercial towing enterprises a LE agency doesn't want to be taking away their business, and they don't want to be called for a free tow every time someone breaks down. Police used to get calls all day long for vehicle lockouts; nobody wants to pay a towing company if the cops will open your door for free. It was a "public service" started by well-meaning admins. After a few doors got opened for folks who didn't actually own those vehicles, the practice ended quickly. People still call and ask if we have a Slim Jim; now we just tell them a Slim Jim is a good way to fry your electronics on modern vehicles.

Re: towing a stranded boat on the water - 02/26/21 02:41 AM

He is old enough to know better and been fishing and around boats all of his 65 years. Colder temps today but calm winds out of the north. I took my boat and got him out but his boat is a mess. Mud every where you could think of. Boat was full of water from the wind pounding it up against the bank. The bilge pump still worked when he turned it on and he dipped about 40 5 gallon buckets of water from the area in the bottom of the boat where you put your feet while driving. The boat started to float and he pushed it off the bank where it was wedged in a little pocket. Lowered the motor and hit the starter and she fired right up. He drove it from the island to Oak Cove where we loaded it on the trailer and headed home. He has it home now with a big mess to clean up, fingers crossed all is ok. He added another chapter to his book today Here is Your Sign. lol

As we were talking on the way back to the ramp as we age we may need to stop fishing alone. With someone with him it never would have happened but may haft to judge the wind and make that decision to just stay at home.
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: towing a stranded boat on the water - 02/26/21 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

There might be a common denominator in that statement. Has he been a boater very long? There are some online tools to teach a person how to tie a knot that stays tied, though it sounds like it may not help too much in this case. Don't ever let him take up aviation!

cheers Hi Flippin how bout a link to said online help ? may save someone a lot of bang Been towed in a few times. Thanks yoa all/ You know who you are.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: towing a stranded boat on the water - 02/26/21 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Lazy Ike
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

cheers Hi Flippin how bout a link to said online help ? may save someone a lot of bang Been towed in a few times. Thanks yoa all/ You know who you are.

Sure. When cleats are available at the dock, the cleat knot would be the obvious choice. I've seen many put a rope on a cleat in such a way it can't really be expected to hold, so it's very important to learn how to tie a cleat knot properly. Do that and the boat will be solid to the dock. Here's one animation for that: How to tie a cleat knot Be sure to pay close attention to the detail; if you do it wrong, it could slip. Notice the flip of the last loop - don't just figure-8 a rope on a cleat - that WILL slip.

When there are no cleats, but there may be a pole or piling you can drop a loop over, the best choice is considered to be a loop knot made using the bowline knot. This one doesn't "lock up" tight if it gets a load placed on it. Once you've relieved the strain, you can easily untie the loop should you not want it on the end of your rope. (Simple overhand loop knots can cinch very tight and be hard to untie after they've been subjected to a load.) How to tie a bowline knot You can even use two bowlines to tie two ropes together for a longer working rope - and still get them untied even after having a heavy load on the knots.

Over a period of years, I spent time working on a commercial boat operated by a former USCG member who taught me a lot; unfortunately, I've gotten rusty on the stuff I don't use very often. In over 40 years of on-water outings, I've only ever been towed once - about a mile back to the ramp after a starter failed on a new outboard with less than 10 hours on it! I hope I didn't jinx myself with that admission.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: towing a stranded boat on the water - 02/27/21 04:54 PM

Maybe he needs to learn how to tie boat to dock.
Can’t believe he couldn’t find anyone to help get it.
JD

Re: towing a stranded boat on the water - 02/28/21 01:05 AM

When I went to help him My trailer n his were the only 2 trucks on the p lot. It took about 2/1/2 hours to get his boat unstuck where it was wedged in the dirt. When we got back to the ramp a guy was unloading his boat, that made 3 in the parking lot. RC is the dead sea right now. All items recovered and all safe Thank you Lord
Posted By: pop r

Re: towing a stranded boat on the water - 02/28/21 01:00 PM

Great news! thumb Glad you both are safe as well as the boat.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum