Texas Fishing Forum

Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip

Posted By: basslawd89

Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip - 02/17/21 08:31 PM

I'm taking 5 days off last week of March to go fish some rivers in the Hill Country. Given the two weekends on either side here, I'm looking at about a 7-8 day trip to go fishing.

The only stretch of river I really have had experience on to-date is the Lower Guad under Canyon Lake Dam. I'm hopping to cross off a bunch of other bucket list rivers off my list this week. Mainly targeting bass.

I really want to hit the South Llano, the Upper Guad and the Frio. Also thinking off the Medina, the Blanco, Pedernales, and maybe Colorado under Towne Lake.

I'm really looking to determine which rivers I can look to pull an overnight camping trip on vs. which ones will be single day floats as I have a bunch of friends in the Hill Country we can stay with. Any suggestions for good stretches to consider & camping would be awesome. Thanks!
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip - 02/17/21 09:04 PM

Bookmark this site. Flow will have a huge impact on your choices.
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/current/?type=flow&group_key=basin_cd

For the upper Guad, you'll want the flow at Bergheim to be 80 - 150 cfs. There's a run above Bergheim back down to FM474 that's pretty calm and looks fairly fishy. From Bergheim to the State Park there's 3 pretty good rapids and several deep holes that should be good fishing. The first rapid about a mile below Bergheim is called Rock Pile and it gets up to a Class III, maybe IV when the flow is 200 - 250 cfs. It washes out around 300 cfs and turns into a huge standing wave. You need to know what you're doing if you want to run it when the flow is up.

Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip - 02/17/21 09:32 PM

Thank you!! I really appreciate the info here. I am researching the area you mentioned now. I had read some good spots were in between Comfort and Spring Branch. Not sure how the fishing would be even further upstream in Kerrville, but we would consider that too.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip - 02/18/21 08:34 PM

There is a dam in Center Point and a long stretch of the Guadalupe River to fish. Looks awesome! There is Flat Rock Dam in Kerrville and a Campground at 173 and 534 on the (Guadalupe) Kerrville Lake. Fishing can be fantastic, structure of every kind, I love fishing it. Further up in Ingram you'll find Lake New Ingram. Nice fish in there as well and you can paddle up the Guadalupe. Great fishing in these areas. Enjoy!! Another lake is in Kerrville with a ramp next to Chili's Bar and Grill. Some BIG bass are there. Launch, go to you right and right before the bridge there is a stump field in the middle, you'll see it. Pound the bank on the way up, don't be surprised if you come up with a DD. Water is going to very cool to cold unless we get some hot wether.

Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip - 02/18/21 11:43 PM

Topwater2, thank you for the insight here. I was hoping to get to spend some time in Kerrville when I was originally thinking of the Upper Guad as it's such a nice place. I am really hoping the weather heats up in March lol.
Posted By: Wiki

Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip - 02/19/21 08:36 PM

South Llano River great fishing. Top water action for the Guadalupe bass are a blast in the summer. Fishing the river around Kerrville can be fun. Flatrock, Ingram and Nimitz lake. I fish them regularly. I have more fun hitting the smaller areas instead of the damn up lakes. Monkey Island is a crossing (rd is center point rd I beleive) is fun. I have went up river from there and caught lots of fish. Down river from there is great trip with good fishing. This summer I plan on doing some kayak and cap trips from Comfort down river. Anyway I have enjoyed fishing the river around Kerrville.

Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip - 02/20/21 01:17 AM

Wiki, thanks for the tips. I will look into Monkey Island! I was tipped off to looking even further up in the headwaters near Hunt. I absolutely love that area, but haven't fished the Guad there, so I figure I'll look into that as well. From what I understand, that will be more wading. Hoping to do mostly kayaking on this trip.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip - 02/20/21 04:28 PM

Have floated the S. Llano many times. Also have floated a couple times the Llano River below Junction and down by Castell. The S. Llano is an absolute gem. A couple times with my boys we did an overnight trip on the S. Llano from the 2nd 377 crossing back down the the state park. Really a long one day trip but overnight leaves plenty of time for fishing, swimming.... Great fishing! You’re never to far from someone’s house on the S. Llano but we just camped on a gravel bar both times without problems. Way longer trips are doable on the Llano River anywhere below Junction. Good bass fishing all the way but the river is not the tighter/narrow river bed as the S. Llano and widens out so if you go during low water flows you will drag your canoes/kayaks a lot. Both are beautiful! Good luck! Neil.
Posted By: Wiki

Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip - 02/21/21 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by basslawd89
Wiki, thanks for the tips. I will look into Monkey Island! I was tipped off to looking even further up in the headwaters near Hunt. I absolutely love that area, but haven't fished the Guad there, so I figure I'll look into that as well. From what I understand, that will be more wading. Hoping to do mostly kayaking on this trip.

I have some spots around Hunt I want to try as well this year. You ever want to get together later in the spring early summer let me know. Much easier if you have two trucks.

Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip - 02/23/21 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by 361V
Have floated the S. Llano many times. Also have floated a couple times the Llano River below Junction and down by Castell. The S. Llano is an absolute gem. A couple times with my boys we did an overnight trip on the S. Llano from the 2nd 377 crossing back down the the state park. Really a long one day trip but overnight leaves plenty of time for fishing, swimming.... Great fishing! You’re never to far from someone’s house on the S. Llano but we just camped on a gravel bar both times without problems. Way longer trips are doable on the Llano River anywhere below Junction. Good bass fishing all the way but the river is not the tighter/narrow river bed as the S. Llano and widens out so if you go during low water flows you will drag your canoes/kayaks a lot. Both are beautiful! Good luck! Neil.

361V, I am considering do the same overnight float from 377 to the State Park. A little wary about the overnight camping, but sounds like a blast.

I was really torn between exploring the Llano in and around Junction vs. around Mason, which I've read a little bit about online; but seems like a lot of folks do the 377 to State Park trail.

Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip - 02/23/21 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Wiki
Originally Posted by basslawd89

I have some spots around Hunt I want to try as well this year. You ever want to get together later in the spring early summer let me know. Much easier if you have two trucks.

Wiki, thanks for the invite!! That sounds like a great time. I will keep you posted as I get closer to my trip!
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip - 02/24/21 06:58 PM

Might look at the San Marcos river also. Can put in at the I-35 bridge and take out in Martindale or the bridge just up stream from the town. Takes a couple of hours but it is fun. Will probably need two cars or someone to pick you up when you are done. Store your rods flat until you get past the low bridge at the beginning.
Posted By: mickeytfc

Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip - 02/25/21 08:36 PM

Sounds like an amazing trip you are planning, I can't to read your report!

Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip - 03/15/21 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by 361V

361V, I am considering trying out this overnight trip. I have a buddy coming to join me as well, so we will have two suv's. My question is about the put-in off 377.. Can we leave a car near this bridge somewhere overnight? I was thinking that would be the easiest way. Not sure if you and your boys used an outfitter or someone to drop you off.

Thanks!
Posted By: Todd13

Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip - 03/22/21 04:09 PM

I rented a kayak from a guy out of Castell and he runs a service. I suspect he would easily shuttle your truck.

Good luck and post up how things go.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip - 03/24/21 03:15 AM

Sorry, just saw this. Yes there is some parking at both 377 crossings. If you don’t want to leave your vehicles try Sonnys Canoes in Junction. He’s just off the river in town. You could park your vehicles at his place and have him drive you up and drop you off. [Linked Image]
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip - 03/27/21 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Topwater2
There is a dam in Center Point and a long stretch of the Guadalupe River to fish. Looks awesome! There is Flat Rock Dam in Kerrville and a Campground at 173 and 534 on the (Guadalupe) Kerrville Lake. Fishing can be fantastic, structure of every kind, I love fishing it. Further up in Ingram you'll find Lake New Ingram. Nice fish in there as well and you can paddle up the Guadalupe. Great fishing in these areas. Enjoy!! Another lake is in Kerrville with a ramp next to Chili's Bar and Grill. Some BIG bass are there. Launch, go to you right and right before the bridge there is a stump field in the middle, you'll see it. Pound the bank on the way up, don't be surprised if you come up with a DD. Water is going to very cool to cold unless we get some hot wether.

Yes indeed! thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum