Texas Fishing Forum

After cleaning, then what?

Posted By: Merlin14

After cleaning, then what? - 02/10/21 02:55 AM

New to fishing and kayaking, so I've been on youtube a couple weeks.
So far one largemouth bass in a subdivision pond and released at once.

IF...in the unlikely event I caught a keeper, what would I do about the following?

A place I want to fish and camp has a rule: No fish remains in the campground dumpster.
I understand why and will follow the guideline.
But, is it OK to bury the remains in the woods away from campground, etc?
What do you do that follows rules and respects nature, people, and so on?

Thanks!
Posted By: hunter1st

Re: After cleaning, then what? - 02/10/21 03:31 AM

Bag it, on ice, take it home, put into the freezer until trash day.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: After cleaning, then what? - 02/10/21 03:59 AM

First welcome and it is great that you are concerned. I agree with the comment above. You could also bury them if you are in a remote location. Another option is to cut up the remains in small pieces and throw them in the water. Just make sure you pop the air bladder so the remain don’t float up later.
Posted By: bassnman

Re: After cleaning, then what? - 02/11/21 01:01 AM

Maybe not true ion a pond but i throw all fish remains in the lakes I fish if I keep any.
There are rarely if ever any remains left the next morning..
Posted By: SoonerDG

Re: After cleaning, then what? - 02/12/21 04:50 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Some good advice above. Also, check to see if there's a fish cleaning station in the campground. Most likely at the boat ramp if there is one. This will have a trash can where you can put the remains.

The other option is to keep the fish whole on ice until you get back home and clean them at home. but, if you're wanting to eat fish at camp this doesn't necessarily work.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: After cleaning, then what? - 02/12/21 05:52 PM

welcome to the TFF! Great replies above on your question. thumb
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: After cleaning, then what? - 02/12/21 06:22 PM

If I catch fish at a place with no cleaning facilities, I gut and gill them on the water, then bag and put them on ice, making sure water is drained from the ice chest. I'll finish processing the fish at home.
If I catch fish and need to keep them for a few days before getting home, I fillet, bag, and place them on ice. I then sprinkle rock salt on the top of the ice. Again make sure to keep the water drained from the ice chest.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: After cleaning, then what? - 02/13/21 11:26 PM

I clean fish at home, and toss the remains to the yard cats. If you don't have any yard cats, do this anyway and you'll get some.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum