Texas Fishing Forum

Castnetting for shad from the bank

Posted By: Tommycat44

Castnetting for shad from the bank - 02/09/21 08:24 PM

I'm trying to learn how to find shad from the bank and catch them with a castnet. Unfortunately, I can't find anyone to teach me so I thought I'd try asking here. Where should I look? What times of the day should I go? Both of these questions are also based on different times of the year as well. Can someone actually help me?
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Castnetting for shad from the bank - 02/09/21 08:27 PM

For the most part cast netting shad from the bank in the winter is a waste of time and effort. There are times you can be successful such as springs when they are running the bank or during the heat of the summer in the back of coves etc. If I were going to cat from the bank get you a net that you can pancake and throw a good distance. 6ft is a good place to start. Look for flips and throw at the flip.
Posted By: Justin B

Re: Castnetting for shad from the bank - 02/10/21 06:57 AM

Catching shad from the bank during the winter is tough but doable. If you can find a boat ramp or dock that has a light on it, go several hours after dark giving the bait time to attract to the light. Also wind blown banks, if the wind has been blowing on a certain point and bank all day give it a try. I would NOT invest in a high dollar net since the chances of you getting it snagged are high. A good 7ft 3/8 mesh net with 1lb of real lead weight will get it done from shore.
Posted By: Justin B

Re: Castnetting for shad from the bank - 02/10/21 12:17 PM

I did this the other night at a local lake. I sat on the ramp with my headlights shinning on the ramp for about 30mins. Threw a few times and had enough for the next day trip. [Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum